Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
program in assembly, it’s the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i was so happy when i finally learned html4 and javascript in 1998, i did not know of the monstrosities that would be flung upon the world 20 years later

remember quirksmode??

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Management posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Share Bear posted:

i was so happy when i finally learned html4 and javascript in 1998, i did not know of the monstrosities that would be flung upon the world 20 years later

remember quirksmode??

quirksmode is not the greatest

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

there's no need when BASIC is close enough to the metal for anyone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

yeet

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

code:

foo: 
    yeet ebp;
    mov ebp, esp;

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

RustyKnight posted:

I started to learn to code about a year ago and i started with javascript, now i moved to c++ basics and i still cant do poo poo, i am terrible computer toucher and i wish i could have enthusiasm to actually have fun with writing programs, any suggestions what could i do that would be entertaining? Right now it all seems like a chore.

why are you bothering to force yourself to do something you don’t enjoy? I assume it isn’t your job which is the only reasonable excuse to do poo poo you hate

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

quirksmode is not the greatest

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im sad that old hip-hop knowledge is now considered boomer knowledge

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i had a lot of fun with logo bitd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not exactly basic but "programming" in unreal engine 4 with the blueprints is even easier than basic

and im basically learning how to program in c++ by doing so

give me objects or give me death

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Management posted:

this is true
i started with basic first on a french 8 bits computer (which had a microsoft basic tho) and then on amiga but its only when i started programming in assembly that i really started to have fun bc i could do funky gradients with copperlists and all sorts of visual tricks and basically anything i wanted and it was fast and cool

amos basic or even gfa basic didnt exist back in those days tho, it was amigabasic which was a slow and limited piece of crap which really didnt have a chance in terms of having fun compared to assembly

amigabasic was also the second microsoft product i ever used and it already exhibited the lovely quality (it was slow and buggy as hell) that would become the hallmark of microsoft dev environments until they somehow managed to build something good with vs code

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Vomik posted:

why are you bothering to force yourself to do something you don’t enjoy? I assume it isn’t your job which is the only reasonable excuse to do poo poo you hate

it is more the problem of me not enjoying anything, i like writing programs but i hardly have any motivation to do so. I should just do it and be excited just like the first time i was doing html basics. I think i understand where is my problem now, somebody just needed to spell it out for me, i need to sit down and do it not because i have to but because i want to, i’m gonna find some cool project to make, if anybody has some suggestions I would be most grateful.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m not dissimilar myself.. but finding the thing you want to work on that inspires you is in of itself a decent challenge

here’s a thought lol : try playing TIS-100 or shenzhen io

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

echinopsis posted:

i’m not dissimilar myself.. but finding the thing you want to work on that inspires you is in of itself a decent challenge

here’s a thought lol : try playing TIS-100 or shenzhen io

shenshen io is great! Still haven’t tried TIS-100 but i have it too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
quakec was a lot of fun as well

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Get closer to the metal

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

quakec was a lot of fun as well

it's cool that a one-off language was better than all these p-langs

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i started programming w/ qbasic when i was 10

now im soon 30 and no longer want nothing to do with computer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the late 90s kid programming starter pack: qbasic, pirated copy of vb6, GORILLA.BAS

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my first foray into programming was to edit nibbles.bas so that when i hit the q key i got extra lives.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

the late 90s kid programming starter pack: qbasic, pirated copy of vb6, GORILLA.BAS

with vb6 you can easily make programs that will spam the poo poo out of aol chat rooms

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i tried to program core war in qbasic once, managed to draw a title screen and then realized i had no idea how to continue

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pram posted:

he’ll yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

i tried to program core war in qbasic once, managed to draw a title screen and then realized i had no idea how to continue

this is my style of programming

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

RustyKnight posted:

it is more the problem of me not enjoying anything, i like writing programs but i hardly have any motivation to do so. I should just do it and be excited just like the first time i was doing html basics. I think i understand where is my problem now, somebody just needed to spell it out for me, i need to sit down and do it not because i have to but because i want to, i’m gonna find some cool project to make, if anybody has some suggestions I would be most grateful.

there's a bunch of useful activities in automate the boring stuff that lots of new folks like going through because it's a bunch of things you'd actually want to automate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got python crash course book but wish I got that instead

also wasup ahmeni feels like u been away for ages

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i got python crash course book but wish I got that instead

that's also a good book! pretty sure all of automate is free to read online too

quote:

also wasup ahmeni feels like u been away for ages

yeah I cut down on a lot of internet stuff a while back when my job started getting more hectic and just never really picked it back up again

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Thanks for support, I'll give it a shot, I've been pretty depressed with starting uni and everybody being basically already a competent programmer when i was only able to make lovely react site and not knowing what to do anymore, I was just feeling like i'm going nowhere and i really need something simple to learn that would make me feel more content.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

Thanks for support, I'll give it a shot, I've been pretty depressed with starting uni and everybody being basically already a competent programmer when i was only able to make lovely react site and not knowing what to do anymore, I was just feeling like i'm going nowhere and i really need something simple to learn that would make me feel more content.

mundane laborious coding/scripting is the worst. i always end up feeling at least somewhat excited about every project i get, but going back to programming that you can draw stuff to the screen immediately and do fun stuff is the best. javascript is my jam for that, because all you need is a web browser and a text editor. i also use it seriously to make a proof of concept, and then port it over

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

the worst was when they decided that Java was a great teaching language.

"Ok guys everything is an object. Except for primitives. Oh and strings are objects even though we treat them like primitives"

"Ok there's no operator overloading except for when there is."

lol did they actually think java was a great teaching language or was it just "well java is THE FUTURE so we should just get people started on it anyway and then everyone will be prepared for THE FUTURE"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol did they actually think java was a great teaching language or was it just "well java is THE FUTURE so we should just get people started on it anyway and then everyone will be prepared for THE FUTURE"

idk what the motivation was. Honestly at the time the idea of a robust, complete, free, well-documented toolchain & stdlib was sort of revolutionary so

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

idk what the motivation was. Honestly at the time the idea of a robust, complete, free, well-documented toolchain & stdlib was sort of revolutionary so
and memory managed, don't forget memory managed. the main credible alternative at the time was C or C++ and with those the class spends half its time chasing memory errors

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

and memory managed, don't forget memory managed. the main credible alternative at the time was C or C++ and with those the class spends half its time chasing memory errors

I think as a teaching language the main alternative at the time was Pascal which iirc was also memory managed?? idk it's been a long time.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pascal was not memory managed and i believe, in the language as standardized, you could not even use its dynamic memory support for variable length arrays

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

first language I touched in school was basic. next year was c++ and it was taught so poorly I dropped programming for years. the first languages I learned were bash and Perl. I still prolly spend most time with p-langs esp when loving around or prototyping but not usually for bigger projects or ones targeting specific platforms. I’ll use whatever if it best fits the application 🤷🏻‍♀️

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

is R a p-lang

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
getting back to the thread topic, visual basic probably would have been a reasonable option for schools to use at the time but microsoft was not really pushing it into education because it was already well on its way to business adoption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OldAlias posted:

is R a p-lang

i feel like it's a dsl