Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I read it a few years ago! It's really drat great once you get immersed in the story. Poor little Pip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OregonDonor posted:

In a previous Moby Dick thread a goon had this really interesting and fairly postmodern interpretation of the digression chapters about cetology, SPERM, etc—that the book is being written by an Ishmael many years on, and these interludes are his attempt at imposing a kind of rationalist explanation on the events of his earlier life, and in so doing, trying to come to terms with the enormity of the whale.

I’ll see if I can dig it up but it always stuck with me.

Also, Lawrence Buell’s fairly recent The Dream of the Great American Novel has a lot to say about Moby Dick, and this is a worthwhile topic to introduce to the thread—Moby Dick, greatest American novel?

I don't even know how I'd go about rating that to be honest. I'm very fond of The Grapes of Wrath.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Morty the Mad posted:

the description of Pip falling overboard and going mad

I haven't been able to shake this since I read it a few years ago. I'm very slowly reading the book again now and goodness it's well-written. Queequeg and Ishmael OTP.