Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'Well everyone once again I did it! My music was so exciting it put my audience to sleep! I think we should let these guys live I'm gonna be looking toward some major revisions in how we handle ticket sales soon and nobody has heard me do a live performance... pretty much since I died!'

>>Lutos doesn't want to kill anybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Mack quietly comments "Well.. if we ain't gonna kill 'em, might wanna at least check to make sure they ain't ripped off our stuff. I mean they got the halflings right? What's to say they ain't over run the keep at Broken Tooth and taken all our loot?" from the wagon.

>The little guy shrugs "To my mind keepin' em alive is a risk, more so if we don't at least prevent them from doing further harm... ain't like they're friendly and this lot are presumably part of the mob what killed Blue's mates. Might be worth disarmin' 'em, takin' 'em captive and askin' 'em some questions? See if we can find out what happened and how they came to capture the halflings, maybe see if they know where Blue's companions stuff is."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

> Shelly still with the orcs' neck entwined in the chain, looks a little dissatisfied at the no-kill agreement. She looses the binding and drops the unconscious orc to the ground unceremoniously.

>> She begins tying up the orcs with rope and knots capable of keeping ships docked, awaiting further decisions

naem
May 29, 2011

(these guys are super dangerous and could wake up at any time we gotta do something!)

I heft the bow heft-ily

e: I watch the orks ready to thwap anyone of em who gets funny ideas

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The return policy for this particular troll is to just hand them to you. As soon as he lets go they start screaming and falling over themselves to get away
They're yelling over each other "holygetshitusdotheyouhellknowouttawhoherethistheresguydemonsis" but the troll interrupts "SO I'M GUESSING BROKEN TOOTH, RIGHT?"

One of the wizards says something in some weirdo language and the halflings start crying. "MAYBE WE SHOULD SEND YOU THREE BACK, HUH?"

back in the normal world the orcs restlessly slumber. Nalini made her way to a flanking position while you guys were fighting and now she recommends not getting any more involved unless you know what you're getting into. "They send aggressive patrols for a reason." Plus she wants to stick with checking out the sword and golems and not get tied up with this.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'Hey, we're adventurous hero types and sometimes that means sidequests and random encounters. That's just part and parcel with how we operate!'

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

> Shelly still with the orcs' neck entwined in the chain, looks a little dissatisfied at the no-kill agreement. She looses the binding and drops the unconscious orc to the ground unceremoniously.

>> She begins tying up the orcs with rope and knots capable of keeping ships docked, awaiting further decisions

naem posted:

(these guys are super dangerous and could wake up at any time we gotta do something!)

I heft the bow heft-ily

e: I watch the orks ready to thwap anyone of em who gets funny ideas

-15 shell gets one tied up when the others start opening their eyes.

When one of the knights tries to attack Naem is able to bolt 'er and she oofs but the abulatory orcs snatch her back away from the rest of yous

The orc boss is even more pissed and demands you release his guys immediately. He's got one injured knight and the archer and himself.

naem
May 29, 2011

“We all c’n walk away from this jes fine mister Ork sir, we take o’r halflings and you take y’r folks, we all walk away out of each other’s lives f’rever all peaceful like!”

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The return policy for this particular troll is to just hand them to you. As soon as he lets go they start screaming and falling over themselves to get away
They're yelling over each other "holygetshitusdotheyouhellknowouttawhoherethistheresguydemonsis" but the troll interrupts "SO I'M GUESSING BROKEN TOOTH, RIGHT?"

One of the wizards says something in some weirdo language and the halflings start crying. "MAYBE WE SHOULD SEND YOU THREE BACK, HUH?"

>Sloth gives the big troll a broad grin and a thumbs up "Thank you." he uses the translator to say, toneless and robotic as the voice it provides is the cowboys body language seems to relax just a little and he seems genuinely grateful. He raises a long clawed finger to his lips motioning for the halflings to quiet down and calm themselves a moment "Yeah... that's... a remarkably good... guess. Get many... visitors from there?" he replies to the trolls comment.

>"In any case... would appreciate it if you could... let us head back soon... got friends there... they might be in... danger." he adds after a moment "Don't... mind returning here... though and bringing... you guys some good weed... soon as a thanks."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Sloth gives the big troll a broad grin and a thumbs up "Thank you." he uses the translator to say, toneless and robotic as the voice it provides is the cowboys body language seems to relax just a little and he seems genuinely grateful. He raises a long clawed finger to his lips motioning for the halflings to quiet down and calm themselves a moment "Yeah... that's... a remarkably good... guess. Get many... visitors from there?" he replies to the trolls comment.

>"In any case... would appreciate it if you could... let us head back soon... got friends there... they might be in... danger." he adds after a moment "Don't... mind returning here... though and bringing... you guys some good weed... soon as a thanks."

"NOT MANY TRAVELLERS, NO."
he scoops all three of you up and opens a portal

naem posted:

“We all c’n walk away from this jes fine mister Ork sir, we take o’r halflings and you take y’r folks, we all walk away out of each other’s lives f’rever all peaceful like!”

He starts to demand a gold cost for the hostages that he rightfully took when Gatwo the Wanderer and a sloth and two terrified halflings step outta the astral zone and back into normal reality.

"Shazgob, sometimes you have to take the loss." The leader pauses for a beat and then agrees with Nalini. If you guys leave orc territory immediately and leave his incapacitated guys alone they'll let you pass.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Entering into this situation cold, Sloth lowers the shotgun from his shoulder to aim it at the orc archer - not yet firing but keeping it at the ready in case of sudden escalation. He keeps Gatwo in his field of vision after silent communication with Mack yields an update on the dude.

>Mack in the meantime decides to pipe up "Yeah, nah mate - look it's like this..."

>The diminutive half dwarf familiar goes on to outline the following:

-We're in the process of making a deal that will lead to increased transport through the area to the benefit of orc raiding parties
-In order to accomplish this we need our stuff, halfling and goblin crew members and our boat back, located in orc territory
-We'll also need to know what happened to Blue's companions and their remains and items returned as a courtesy
-In exchange for this we'll offer to tip the orcs off regularly about rich merchant ships trying to smuggle non-PBSC slug shipments through
-This will let them set up ambushes and profit while protecting PBSC's slug transport business, making their clan wealthy and powerful
-We may be able to sweeten the deal in exchange for help/protection/a guarantee to attack certain enemies if they return through the area

>He'll offer to write this down and let them bring it to their leader if the orc in charge of this raiding party isn't their big boss (seems likely) or otherwise let them convey it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
seems like some big deal infodumps if you want to do this thing you'll need seconded

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
>> gently caress you dice! Don't pull me into your treasure box.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Lutos will second negotiating with the orcs and he knows tongues so he'll use that to make sure they speak orc and that orcs speak money!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Zeluth posted:

>> gently caress you dice! Don't pull me into your treasure box.

7 ur too weak and slow and can't escape. The Snake Eyes, the hardest gang in Gnometown, heft you up as a team and carry you away, chanting "Trea! Sure! Box! Trea! Sure! Box!"

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Entering into this situation cold, Sloth lowers the shotgun from his shoulder to aim it at the orc archer - not yet firing but keeping it at the ready in case of sudden escalation. He keeps Gatwo in his field of vision after silent communication with Mack yields an update on the dude.

>Mack in the meantime decides to pipe up "Yeah, nah mate - look it's like this..."

>The diminutive half dwarf familiar goes on to outline the following:

-We're in the process of making a deal that will lead to increased transport through the area to the benefit of orc raiding parties
-In order to accomplish this we need our stuff, halfling and goblin crew members and our boat back, located in orc territory
-We'll also need to know what happened to Blue's companions and their remains and items returned as a courtesy
-In exchange for this we'll offer to tip the orcs off regularly about rich merchant ships trying to smuggle non-PBSC slug shipments through
-This will let them set up ambushes and profit while protecting PBSC's slug transport business, making their clan wealthy and powerful
-We may be able to sweeten the deal in exchange for help/protection/a guarantee to attack certain enemies if they return through the area

>He'll offer to write this down and let them bring it to their leader if the orc in charge of this raiding party isn't their big boss (seems likely) or otherwise let them convey it.

reignofevil posted:

>>Lutos will second negotiating with the orcs and he knows tongues so he'll use that to make sure they speak orc and that orcs speak money!

He takes the note without looking at it and reiterates that if you guys gtfo now you're free to go. Gatwo thinks that sounds about right to him and starts stomping off upriver.
Nalini lets you guys know a dude like this can't make deals like that.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth prepares to head up river with the others, not letting Gatwo out of his sight - perhaps the party can decide what (if anything) to do about him once we've left the orcs behind and are en route back to Broken Tooth.

>Mack accepts the orc's offer after the hand over of the proposed deal and rides along in the wagon, keeping an eye on Skullos just in case he either wakes up or his condition starts to deteriorate and he needs medical attention. Figure they'll let the halflings on so they can recover from their ordeal and maybe provide the group with some answers as to what's been happening.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ll keep the bow handy and keep close watch out for any funny business as we make our way

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Shelly undoes the knots and ropes around the orcs and helps them to their feet, giving them a 'no hard feelings' nod. She spritely gathers up her remaining tools and follows the group, eager to unsink their vessel.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You guys make it to Broken Tooth no problem. Which is good because by the time you get there you've run out of food completely.

The wizzord tree is, ah, bigger.

When the refugees see Gatwo they panic and all run into the keep. A squad of stalwart root boys move to intercept but he produces what looks like a perfectly replicated root made in porcelain from a bigass pouch of stuff and once they accept it they let him pass no problem.

The original crew that followed you in has been busy and the keep is pretty well repaired, altho there is some evidence there were a few fights. The hostages you rescued have already snuck off somewhere into the ruins and Gatwo is stomping around "COME OUT COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE HEH HEH HEH" & you can't tell if he's trying to be friendly or is looking for someone to eat.

The archeologist is wondering what the deal with this weird sword is and wants to check it out, but is fine meeting the locals first if that's what you gotta do. A causal glance reveals the Beast looks fine but still sunk.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Shelly ignores everything else and heads straight for the ship, eager to unsink it. She begins pushing the water back and away from the ship, expelling it from wherever its gotten in.

>> Its gonna be a loooong repair job

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
10 You're able to have the waves bring it ashore without breaking it in half or anything, but you spook some nearby fish who were thinking about building a nest in it.

It'll take a little less than 6 days to fully repair, assuming you have free access to materials and stuff. Which you can probably get someone to score from the ruins or nearby countryside.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth will tap Gatwo on, well probably like the knee or something, and using the translator reminds him "Stop scaring these folk... you owe me... otherwise you'd still be trapped... in the astral plane.", ready for a hostile response from the troll should it come to it (it'll be met by a swift shotgun blast to the groin) but not attempting to provoke one. Instead merely reminding the big guy of the realities of the situation. He adds "If you're bored... then help us get the ship up... and running. Or perhaps... you could repay me by... teaching me some magic skills?"

>At least the sloth has been unfazed by the lack of rations, sticking to eating plants that he knows are safe since he's an obligate herbivore.

>Mack on the other hand will greet the survivors, trying to calm them and talking with them a bit to let them know that Skullos has been captured and that once the boat is repaired, along with the siege weapon(s) and our stuff is collected and ready for transport then we'll head back to Frigg and this nightmare for them will be over.

>He'll also talk with Nilani, offering for him and Sloth to go with her to check out the sword tomorrow morning once we've had time to regroup and prepare.

>When he thinks no one else is looking he'll head over to the tree and place a hand on it, whispering something quietly and respectfully. He sits there a long moment, lost in thought and occasionally sparing a glance over at where his own mortal remains are buried.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ll pick up various prices of wood and carry them around back and forth near the ship “I’m helping!!”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Sloth will tap Gatwo on, well probably like the knee or something, and using the translator reminds him "Stop scaring these folk... you owe me... otherwise you'd still be trapped... in the astral plane.",

-57, he's utterly unimpressed and scoffs boomingly

quote:

ready for a hostile response from the troll should it come to it (it'll be met by a swift shotgun blast to the groin) but not attempting to provoke one. Instead merely reminding the big guy of the realities of the situation. He adds "If you're bored... then help us get the ship up... and running. Or perhaps... you could repay me by... teaching me some magic skills?"

"I CERTAINLY WASN'T :airquote:TRAPPED,:airquote: UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE." Then he taps on the side of the keep.
"Who's there?"
"GATWO."
"Gatwo who?"
"GATWO'MORE THAN YOU BARGAINED FOR!"
He grabs a discarded beam and smoothly sockets it into place, probably this would be a couple hours of work for the refugees to do that repair. Then he wanders over and plucks a fruit from the wizzord tree and thoughtfully eats it in one bite. He chews slowly and seems pretty absorbed.

quote:

>Mack on the other hand will greet the survivors, trying to calm them and talking with them a bit to let them know that Skullos has been captured and that once the boat is repaired, along with the siege weapon(s) and our stuff is collected and ready for transport then we'll head back to Frigg and this nightmare for them will be over.

-47 it's meltdown may and the survivors are not dealing with this well. They basically ignore the homunculus.

quote:

>He'll also talk with Nilani, offering for him and Sloth to go with her to check out the sword tomorrow morning once we've had time to regroup and prepare.

She shrugs and starts climbing to the roof of the keep.

quote:

>When he thinks no one else is looking he'll head over to the tree and place a hand on it, whispering something quietly and respectfully. He sits there a long moment, lost in thought and occasionally sparing a glance over at where his own mortal remains are buried.

The wind moves the branches and leaves some.

naem posted:

I’ll pick up various prices of wood and carry them around back and forth near the ship “I’m helping!!”

10 you accidentally help organize the materials and speed up the repairs by an hour

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

-57, he's utterly unimpressed and scoffs boomingly

"I CERTAINLY WASN'T :airquote:TRAPPED,:airquote: UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE." Then he taps on the side of the keep.

>Sloth laughs at the troll "Yeah... right... just took you... till the exact time I... arrived to be able... to leave... after months... what a :airquote:coincidence:airquote:." and shakes his head dismissively, clearly not buying, and unimpressed by, Gatwo's bullshit.

>After that the cowboy tries to help get things in order, using his magic where possible to speed the process by teleporting things around and the such forth. After a bit he'll go climb the Wyzzord tree and eat a fruit while he seemingly takes a rest, hanging upside down and watching while seemingly asleep.

>Mack glares at Gatwo when the troll goes to grab some fruit, clearly unhappy about his presence. After a moment he goes to talk to the rest of the group in term, making sure that he's out of earshot of the troll.

>The homunculus is of the opinion that the group should straight up murder Gatwo as soon as possible - the troll is a demon summoner, in the employ of an enemy that murdered both him and Wyzzord and since he doesn't feel any debt to the group he's only likely to cause more problems or possibly contact Zlata. Perhaps keep an eye on him and wait until he needs sleep and then put an end to him?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gatwo is not bullshitting & is a certified journeyman mage in the mages' guild, which legally has a monopoly on specific kinds of magical work.

The majority of people who need mages hire through the guild, which is legally required to be utterly neutral, so in this sense they're somewhat mercenary. Like the shoemakers'. But with wizards.

Anyway you critically succeed in helping with the repairs and cut a whole day off of the job. Pick a rank in some skill related to it

The day runs out and Gatwo does not look sleepy at all. Instead he wanders into the night

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Lutos tries to slip his skull into Gatwo's pocket and go along for the ride, invisible ghost style

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
2, you somehow barely pull this off without him knowing and he spends all night wandering the ruins, examining the old battle sites and looking at the stars and stuff. He doesn't do any incredible excavations or pry open a secret cache of treasure or anything, but he does cross to the far side of the river and look to the northeast for a while.

eh I'd do a map but nothing comes up amazing and also I don't have the asset set that would have the tree or smashed up wreckage from that fight a couple months ago

closer to dawn he comes back to the keep and just chills out for a while. By now Nilani is awake and she's ready to rock to the weird sword and check that poo poo out.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth yawns, a bit sleep deprived having been up for part of the night arguing with his familiar, and heads over to Gatwo once he's back and chilling "Figured out... a way to make things... go more smoothly." he pauses before adding "Can we hire you... to teach me some basic magic stuff... maybe how to escape from... the astral plane for example... and to help out... until we get...back to Frigg?", seeming to try to strike a more concilliatory tone today since really the troll seems like he might be more useful on our side than as an enemy.

>Mack seems a little out of sorts about this but remains quiet, chilling near Wyzzord's tree and seeming to be planning to stay with those in the keep to keep an eye on things and keep the cowboy updated.

>Sloth on the other hand seems ready to head out with Nilani after Gatwo has given a response.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Lutos makes sure to clear up that the sword is very very dangerous and could well hurt anyone who tried to pick it up. Other than that he's ready to go watch this lady pay him for the privilege of dying to pick up this weird sword he found one time!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gatwo is not interested in taking on any jobs right now and is gonna be moseying on to Frigg. He's fine with going with you guys if you're headed that way.

He is interested in knowing if you've got a lead on Ultimate Spinach... 19, which you herbally know is a potent herb that absolutely does not grow around here and instead is gonna be somewhere on the other side of the desert. He takes this info under consideration.

The archeologist is totally fine with doom swords and goes with you guys to the sword room in the ruined church...

There's some busted debris, dust, and a distinct lack of magical swords. She's not happy about it and wonders out loud if your story is not totally made up.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'Look we'd be trudging an awfully long way to a room that is NOT comfortable to reach nor stand in and we'd be doing it for no reason because everybody involved would have known previously that this terribly tiny room only had bare floorboards and not an awesome treasure sword none of us could pick up. Anyway the frog-people ruins in the karst are way harder to have disappear as if by magic.'

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth raises an eyebrow at the lack of magical swords too... he figures that the group didn't make it up though and so attempts to scry back in time using the crystal orb, attempting to visually project what happened here so that the rest of the group and the archaeologist can see for themselves too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Sloth raises an eyebrow at the lack of magical swords too... he figures that the group didn't make it up though and so attempts to scry back in time using the crystal orb, attempting to visually project what happened here so that the rest of the group and the archaeologist can see for themselves too.

you bust out the orb and scry it up... 7, but you also crit fail
some dirty hippy chick walks in and gingerly grabs the sword, then she walks out. Then the field of view is overwhelmed by hundreds of pop up ads for horny witches in your plane of existence and you realize you're going to have to waste a bunch of time regimbaling the wabe on this thing if you want it to work right again.

You didn't have to project anything cause anyone could just look at the ball and see.

reignofevil posted:

>>'Look we'd be trudging an awfully long way to a room that is NOT comfortable to reach nor stand in and we'd be doing it for no reason because everybody involved would have known previously that this terribly tiny room only had bare floorboards and not an awesome treasure sword none of us could pick up. Anyway the frog-people ruins in the karst are way harder to have disappear as if by magic.'

She believes and wants to know if you have any details about the sword that you guys might have missed while scrying. It only showed up for a minute or three.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Shelly, taking a small break from fixing the ship, recalls their time with the sword, "I think it spoke to us when one of us touched it, said something about bein' unworthy then shocked the poo poo outta 'em. I remember puttin' up a sign n' everthin'."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
she takes a bunch of notes and asks if there's any other info you guys got and prods the junk in the room and takes more notes

you guys got like 5 or 4 days left to fix the boat you wanna ⏩ this or talk to the fugees or something else or what

naem
May 29, 2011

“HORNY WITCHES!!!!”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You slam the pop-up ads with alacrity... 14

A for real hot witch astral projects onto the scene. You can't tell too many details but there's serous horny energy

"Oh my what a rugged outdoorsman, and so obviously successful! I'm sure you have extensive and sexy banking information I'd love to take a peek :biglips:"

naem
May 29, 2011

“These single HORNY WITCHES in my area really do want to meet me!!”

I spit in my hand and attempt to slick my hair back and brush some of the leaves and twigs out of my beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You ineffectually rearrange the grime and road dust but it doesn't matter cause she's seriously into stalwart adventurer types and thinks you should totally meet up in person.

In fact she can arrange a teleportation but unfortunately has to buy the reagents and doesn't have the cash on hand...