Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don't see how they can charge money if the processor is free :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

risc-v will be the mips of the 21st century

good analogy except that at one time mips was a supercomputing architecture. and mips had a company behind it that provided and supported synthesizeable cores.

riscv is a garbage architecture whose future is entirely in the lowest end microcontroller cores in third rate chips.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good Sphere posted:

there's going to be a lot of changes in the next couple of years. intel and nvidia will need to change their business model since so many companies will be making their own custom risc-v's. seems impossible, but i see arm melting away. what is apple going to do with their ios devices? probably switch to risc-v. computer manufacturers will no longer need to wait for what intel has, and they can handle the security side themselves with their own instruction set

parallel to this we'll see more streaming applications. imagine the desktop going away. you drop your thin device onto a cradle that shows "desktop mode" streaming to your monitor, all running off the cloud. no more expensive desktop computer hardware to buy, but subscriptions to streaming services, with their own servers that they can update to their own needs whenever they want with an open risc architecture

again, source your quotes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

switching from from high quality commercial tech to stallman garbage...sounds like pretty riscv business imo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
riscv is an architecture designed by amateurs that’s unsuitable for high performance hardware design. and the choose-your-own-features model of non-standardization means compatibility nightmare.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

riscv is an architecture designed by amateurs that’s unsuitable for high performance hardware design. and the choose-your-own-features model of non-standardization means compatibility nightmare.

sounds pretty yospos imo

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

has anyone said risc is good yet?

it's not

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
die cisc scum

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The significant thing that RISC-V brings to the table is licensing, which China wants to use to help overthrow the US IP juggernaut, and may allow some very-low-end form factors to shave cents off of their BOM (not a small feat tbh).

Also, the predominant RISC-V board is called HiFive, which is slang for pozzing someone silly.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Soricidus posted:

die cisc scum

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Sponge posted:

The significant thing that RISC-V brings to the table is licensing, which China wants to use to help overthrow the US IP juggernaut, and may allow some very-low-end form factors to shave cents off of their BOM (not a small feat tbh).

Also, the predominant RISC-V board is called HiFive, which is slang for pozzing someone silly.

i know what negging is but I presume pozzing someone isn’t the opposite but perhaps giving someone aids?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

i know what negging is but I presume pozzing someone isn’t the opposite but perhaps giving someone aids?

or, in this case, a hi-five (v)

were you really not around for the "poz my neg <insert noun here>" meme

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its free like freedom AND beer

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

its free like freedom AND beer

Well, since it's heavily funded by the Chinese government as an alternative to western/NATO IP restrictions...

Think free as in speech, not free as in Uyghurs.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Sponge posted:

Well, since it's heavily funded by the Chinese government as an alternative to western/NATO IP restrictions...

Think free as in speech, not free as in Uyghurs.

:trumppop:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

wow that sounds like a processor designed using the unix philosophy

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Soricidus posted:

die cisc scum

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://gist.github.com/erincandescent/8a10eeeea1918ee4f9d9982f7618ef68

so was this right or wrong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

extremely right and extremely hilarious. this is a clown architecture.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
risc-v could become the most-used processor architecture by number of chips in existence simply due to how many more garbage $1 microcontrollers there are out there than everything else

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

It's just stating facts. One of the express goals was a very minimal architecture that could be cheaply and easily modified and extended.

Plorkyeran posted:

risc-v could become the most-used processor architecture by number of chips in existence simply due to how many more garbage $1 microcontrollers there are out there than everything else

Yeah, look at the ARC processor IP. Started off to do vector ops for Star Fox and now is one of the most used ISAs in existence.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

riscv’s primary purpose is as a bargaining chip for existing arm customers who want to save a few percent when contract renewals are due

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

The RISC-V (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) processor is a chip that is still in it’s infancy, but it’s a chip that everyone should be supporting. You might be wondering, what makes this chip so great?

The RISC-V architecture is great because it is the only processor that has a completely open source instruction set, if you want to learn more check out their website. What’s an open source instruction set? In layman’s terms, it means that the way the processor moves around 1s and 0s is available for everyone to see. The advent of what is probably the worst security bug, Meltdown and Spectre, boiled down to a flaw in the instruction set of Intel’s processors. I don’t think anyone in the security field was completely shocked, after all, a speaker at a BlackHat conference demonstrated that there were unknown instructions in the x86 architecture, and that inevitably means there are hidden bugs, it was only a matter of time before a truly devastating bug was found, in our case it was Spectre and Meltdown.

Another benefit of RISC-V is that it enables companies to develop a product that is tailored specifically to their workload, so they start with the RISC-V core and can add whatever it is they specifically need, saving both time and money. These savings can theoretically be passed on to the consumer either through a lower cost, or in the longterm by having a lower energy footprint. However, I believe the biggest benefit of RISC-V is the inherent security and peace of mind it will give to both consumers and businesses alike.

The Spectre and Meltdown bugs are huge problems in the security sphere because over 90% of the server market is owned by Intel, which means that nearly every cloud service is running on hardware that allows attackers to read data that they should not be able to access. To make matters worse, early reports indicate that after these bugs are patched, there will be a performance hit of anywhere between 4–30%, depending on the workload. I hope that these devastating new bugs will make everyone rethink how they go about designing hardware, and support products such as RISC-V.

I will confess that even if we all switched to RISC-V in the future, it doesn’t mean that all of our security woes will be left in the past, RISC-V is BSD licensed, meaning that a vendor can tailor it to themselves and keep those custom bits of code behind closed doors, and closed doors means that there is most likely a vulnerability waiting to be unearthed. The only way forward is with a future that is open and transparent, technology has become too ingrained in our society to be kept behind closed doors.

I’m a firm believer in open source because it’s the only way to achieve the kind of optimistic future that we want. AI that will be responsible for driving cars should be open for everyone to see what it does and how it works, processors that the AI runs on should be the same. As far as I know, RISC-V is the latest open source processor architecture that is currently being used or developed for a variety of products by multiple big name companies. (EDIT: ARM and SPARC are other open source processor designs) For example, Nvidia will be using a RISC-V chip onboard their GPUS and Western Digital is planning to ship a billion RISC-V units in the upcoming year. If you’re a tinkerer or someone who is a fan of small board computers such as Raspberry Pi’s or Arduino’s, SiFive, a company founded by a former student of the man who invented RISC, sells a RISC-V developer board right now.

RISC-V is an existing piece of technology with brilliant minds and monolithic companies propelling it forward, I hope that one day consumers and businesses alike will have easy access to this open architecture available on their laptops, phones, and desktops.

:hmmyes:

all good points

but on the flip side…what if they’re actually all bad points?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

sounds pretty yospos imo

YISPOS

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

riscv’s primary purpose is as a bargaining chip for existing arm customers who want to save a few percent when contract renewals are due

has anyone said arm reduction yet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgakov posted:

:hmmyes:

all good points

but on the flip side…what if they’re actually all bad points?

the quote in the op is incredibly dumb and wrong in every way.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Soricidus posted:

has anyone said arm reduction yet

yes, about tcc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vomik posted:

yes, about tcc

that back panther guy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Vomik posted:

yes, about tcc

yes that’s the reference I was making, but with added computer

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Earlier this year, I wrote a column entitled “RISC-V: Too Open to Fail” in which I outlined several reasons why the open hardware initiative will be a success.

Now it’s time to look at a few reasons the technology could fail. And they start with the fact that RISC-V is open source.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
riscv is linux on the desktop but for cpus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
riscv is the losethos of cpus but with much less charm

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I didn’t know anything about riscv before this thread and now I hate it. thanks, op!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just recompile, lol: the thread

except also: just recompile for this worse-in-every-way target because it's free (that is how Linux became the dominant desktop os in 1998), lol: the thread