Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is Vetsulin's "dispose after 42 days" thing something needed for stability/safety or just a cash grab? We can barely manage $60/vial that often but if it's the only option it's the only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In that case they should make smaller vials -- my cat gets a total of 84 units in that time frame; the vial contains 400. I'm almost more annoyed by the waste than the cost.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Not a vet, but when my 14 year old cat had the same problem, he had hyperthyroidism. It'll just take a blood test to diagnose and it's easy to manage.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If he picks at it, just put the cone back on.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My family lost a member Sunday night. The vet said that cats with hyperthyroidism develop heart failure because it causes prolonged hypertension. But the hyperthyroidism had been managed with medication since it developed in 2020 -- is that simply an imperfect treatment long-term? He was almost 15, which I'm telling myself is a great life but we have another estimated at 19 (was told she was 7 at adoption 12 years ago) and it sucks that not all cats can get that old.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You can get Terramycin ointment on Amazon and apply it twice a day. Probably watch a video on how to do so because you should take extra care with cleanliness and it's hard for me to describe.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I have a 19 year old cat too and totally understand the inital question since mine has been less active too. All my sympathies to you.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

She can be spayed even if she's pregnant. It means fewer kittens in need of a new home so I am always for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Google around and you might find some local ones but I've been in the same boat and found nothing large or national.