Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
imo the last 3 posters should all get second/third opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

stratdax posted:

I'm looking for a new vet due to moving. I have a healthy 7ish year old lab/husky/Shephard/6 other breeds mix. She was getting DA2PP, lepto, Lyme, and Bordetella vaccines annually, plus rabies every 3 years.
Looking at new vets, turns out a lot feel strongly about only vaccinating everything every 3 years. Searching online turns up arguments for both timelines, and another vet I know vaccinates annually, because that's what the manufacturer says.

Is this a hot-button issue or is it pretty settled one way or the other?
Giving DA2PP annually to adult dogs is old school and arguably bad medicine. There is no science to support doing this.
Giving Rabies annually is old school unless you live in a weird municipality that requires annual rabies vaccination.
Lepto, Lyme, and Bordetella all have to be given annually to be effective, but these are considered "non-core" vaccines meaning not all dogs need these depending on location, lifestyle, etc.
I would say all of this is pretty settled, but you will find plenty of veterinarians who do things differently. Here's a link to AAHA canine vaccination guidelines which is the closest thing you'll find to a consensus statement for best practices regarding vaccine schedules.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I am nearly certain this warrants a vet visit, but wanted to ask here in case anyone had ideas. We had asked at the last vet visit and they didn't have much to say other than give it time and report back.

Our newly adopted husky has a discrepancy in the musculature and thickness of her legs; both front and back on the left side are slightly smaller than her right legs. Not just muscles, even the tendons seem thinner.

She was very malnourished and in poor shape when we adopted her 7 weeks ago. She is possibly a year old and no older than 2 years.

She gets up to 3 hours a day of hiking (slowly increasing as her health improves) so it shouldn't be atrophy from a lack of recent exercise.

She was very unstable at first (legs would shake when standing still) but that has improved a lot. She will occasionally limp for a few steps and then return to normal gait.

Asking here because the vets in our town have been very understaffed due to experiences vets retiring.
A 1-2 year old dog should not be routinely limping after getting up, so I would investigate this with your vet. She could have old orthopedic injuries or hereditary joint issues like hip/elbow dysplasia. Any source of pain can cause a dog to bear less weight on the affected limb(s), even imperceptibly, resulting in persistent atrophy.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

drat Bananas posted:

hookworms and roundworms
I would probably empty the litter robot, disinfect the step and inside the dome, and refill it with new litter now. Then I'd probably do a deeper clean of the whole thing and the area around the litterbox and anywhere they track litter right after all 5 doses. Both cats should probably be dewormed again in 2 weeks, and I'd probably dump the litter and disinfect again at that point personally. Maybe that's overkill but you could get hookworms through your bare feet just by walking places your cats are tracking litter so my vote is for overkill.

And I'd definitely check fecals on both cats in a month or two to be sure they're clear.