Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dixville posted:

VIN is really good. Wish it wasn't as expensive as it is but generally it ends up being worth it. Saved me so many times when I was by myself early on and wasn't sure what to do about something. One time I flushed a thorn out of a dog's cornea using instructions from there. I don't think I would have gotten it out otherwise so I saved them a trip to the ophthalmologist.
I've seen hospitals pay for a shared vin account for all the doctors (bonus points if you can put it under the name of a new graduate and get that discount). It's incredibly useful, and occasionally funny for some of the drama that gets posted.

Mozi posted:

I'd like to learn about pet insurance; I've adopted a few older dogs and the vet bills really do pile up but I feel as if the insurance wouldn't cover a lot of the stuff I'd like it to.
I honestly haven't been impressed by any of the plans I've seen, but some of the more expensive ones *do* cover quite a bit. Pay attention to how they handle deductibles though - Some are per year, some are per disease/injury. It's a weird system.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

edit: nm, I'm sorry
Not sure why you're apologizing, I'm so sorry you're in this situation. Local shelters will usually do free euthanasia, but may require you to relinquish your pet first. Some vets *do* have a policy to never turn down a euthanasia due to payment, but you will unfortunately have to make some calls to determine who in your area does.

Best of luck to you, and my condolences.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ANUSTART posted:

This is gonna be rambly bc its been stressing me out for awhile and Im nervous :,( I may have even posted this months ago elsrwhere idk anymore

I am scheduling my dogs single leg Tplo surgery, long overdue, after a period of having to save up the money for it and the first surgeon having to take medical leave. I looked around a LOT before I found another vet I like, but now the original surgeon is back and I am not sure which to go with for her surgery. I am going to schedule consults with both and base it off that. Any suggestions on what I should look for/ask? I like both vets so far.

One is offering a generous discount to do this after seeing me get denied for a few charity foundations online. The other initially offered a generous discount as well because they had gotten a grant for $400 to them for other dogs needing the procedure in the future. This is the one where the surgeon took medical leave, they offered that donation before he left and now I am not sure they will offer it.

At this point money isnt the main factor I just feel so awful thinking about how scary this procedure will be for her and knowing how absolutely painful and long the recovery will be. It breaks my heart. I know she isnt happy with the current lifestyle of doing nothing endlessly bc we used to be very active. But just thinking about how much pain she will be in after the procedure....

I also have a very small fear of something going wrong during surgery, like she gets an infection from it or the anasthesia has an issue or heart issues during it, or just anything going wrong.

Im :( worry
Ask if either one is board certified for ortho. If they both are, then honestly, other than reviews online, there's not much you can ask that will differentiate one from the other. You could ask what size their surgical teams are, do they have a devoted anesthesiologist, etc, but they're probably both gonna be a 3 person team (surgeon, scrub nurse, circulating/anesthetic nurse). You could check if either clinic is AHAA accredited, but meh, I don't put much stock in that.

As far as recovery goes, ehhhhhh, I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but they're on good drugs for a week after surgery, and after that, even during the healing process, it's gonna feel better than it currently does.

As to complications, they'll have her on antibiotics afterwards as a precaution, and will also likely use an intraoperative antibiotic like cefazolin as well. Poor reactions to anesthesia happen, but if her preop bloodwork looks good and she doesn't have any preexisting conditions, the odds are on her side.

Not in any way trying to suggest you're wrong to worry, just being supportive.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Beach Bum posted:

Is there a preferred canine daily earwash?

My 6-year old Chocolate Lab had a hell of a time with his ears last year (infections which led to hematomas which led to surgeries and a mild scare with anesthesia) but after 9 months, a few thousand dollars, and a loving drum of Claro I think we've got it licked. My vet has had me using straight apple cider vinegar, and specifically undiluted, but it doesn't seem to break up the crusties (what looks like old earwax and clotted blood).

He'll sit nice and still for q-tip missions but I'd rather have something that will knock it down without risking pushing the debris farther in.

I'm still keeping a couple doses of Claro around in case I get even a whiff of infection or gooeyness again, but we're 15 days out from the last dose and things are still looking nice and pink (other than leftover crusties).
I wouldn't recommend it as a daily cleaner (and I'm assuming you don't plan on daily cleaning long term), but Cerumene is fantastic for breaking up ear wax. For maintenance cleaning long term, I like TrizUltra+Keto as it has an antifungal ingredient that helps cut yeast infections off at the knee.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Beach Bum posted:

Poor assumption :v: The daily vinegar rinse was specifically recommended by my vet.
Ehhh, if it came directly from the dr, I'm loathe to tell you otherwise as a random vet tech online who doesn't know the particulars of your case. Your doctor is both better educated and more knowledgable about your specific pup than me. I'll say it's not a treatment regimen I've ever seen prescribed, even in nasty infections (for example, at the suggestion of a board certified dermatologist, we placed a dog under general anesthesia today to do a thorough flushing of an ear, sent them home with two separate compounded otic antibiotics based on a culture, and *still* aren't recommending daily cleaning). However, if you trust your doctor, don't mind daily cleaning as part of your day to day life, and your dog seems to be doing well with it, stick with it. Otherwise, there's no harm in getting a second opinion from another dr.

If we are taking more generally though, I'd say the most frequent maintenance schedule I've seen suggested is once a week cleaning, with spot cleanings done as needed (after a swim, etc).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

My best friend Reggie had a splenectomy today after the discovery of a ruptured hemangiosarcoma. Hoping he makes it through recovery, he had lost a fair amount of blood and was anemic prior to surgery.

My vet said he has 6 months, but I'm seeing 1-3 months in online studies, because I'm doing the classic panic move of reading all about cancer after a cancer diagnosis.

I don't think I can afford chemo, which is apparently like 3-5k and I just spent $2k on the surgery so that I didn't have to put him down today.

He turns 8 next month :smith:

I don't necessarily expect any help or advice, I'm just despondent and looking to vent.
My condolences. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. While 1-3 months might be the average, I've seen splenic hemangiosarcs live for up to a year without chemo. I don't say that to get your hopes up, but to let you know it's impossible to really guess with any accuracy.

If you can't afford chemo (which is understandable) there are plenty of other ways to keep your pup comfortable and happy for whatever time he's got left. Best of luck, and keep us updated.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there a consistent decline in health with this condition or do things just eventually reach a state where he'll become sluggish again?
It's totally different for every animal - The quote I once heard and which I always keep in mind is "cancer does whatever cancer wants to do this time" - but anecdotally for me, they're totally fine until they're not, and then it's a relatively rapid decline. I hope it's the same for your pup, and that you get some good months with him.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Sean posted:

Over the past few days my cat has started to constantly lick his arm in the same area and now this has progressed to him being without hair on a few inches of his arm. We're trying to constantly keep him under watch but if he's awake he's trying to lick it. I think this is referred to as a hot spot. We called vets in our area but they're not accepting pets for days. Can anyone please offer some advice? I want to wrap his arm or something but he's too stubborn and smart to keep a wrap on him.
Local petstores will sell e-collars, throw one on him. Definitely follow up with a vet when possible to talk about underlying conditions causing him to lick.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

It was confirmed. Fortunately he recovered from surgery quickly and has been pretty energetic over the last couple weeks. We spent his 8th birthday out at a park yesterday, and he was doing well.

Selfishly, I'm really glad I'm able to work from home during this COVID crisis, because I spend every hour with Reggie.

That's awesome! I know his diagnosis sucks, but that looks like a great day you wouldn't have had if not for the surgery. Be happy for each one you get.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Vino posted:

Every month or two my dog decides that all he wants to eat is grass. He snubs his perfectly good kibble and beef and asks to go outside and then goes straight for the garden and turns into a goat. When he comes back in he pukes it up two hours later and then skips a meal but the next day he's fine. I asked two different vets about it and neither had any idea.

Ever since the rona I've been staying it my gfs house and now for some reason he can't go a week without deciding his food is no good and he only wants grass. I started putting lettuce in his food, no good. I open the back door and he goes straight for a brush. If I don't let him out he sits sullen in a corner and I can hear his stomach rumbling. 12 hours pass and he decides normal dog food is OK and he's all good again.

It's one of those rare times I think pets would be better if they could talk. Anybody have any idea?
Nobody knows. Some people swear it's something they do when they have an upset stomach to make themselves vomit. Others say it's a nutritional deficit. Some just say it's normal dog behavior, don't worry about it

Anecdotally, I tend to agree they do it to try to soothe an upset stomach. The sequence I see the most (seriously, it comes up constantly in general practice) is, dog stops eating food, starts eating grass, usually vomits, but not always. Does the new living situation seem to stress him out? Is the gf sneaking him scraps he doesn't usually get? Any diet change? I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but if you feel like it's negatively affecting him, you could always switch him to a sensitive stomach diet for a few months and see if it stops.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

So, idle question here, if any vets want to comment - If there's a concern about protein deficiency in renal cats with renal diets, would a hydrolyzed diet make any sense? Is it the protein that causes issues in renal patients, or the actual amino acids?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Very jealous, I've never gotten to be part of a c-section. Everyone I work with assures me it's actual hell, but still, I bet the first one is fun.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Waffle Grid posted:

My dog had dental work done yesterday (extraction of 108 due to a slab fracture, as well as prophylaxis work). I took a peek in her mouth today to get a baseline for how things were looking and saw something that I feel concerned about. I e-mailed the vet with a picture and he doesn't seem concerned... but I'm skeptical and wondering if someone here could give me their opinion?

My message to the vet described how when I lifted her flews to see the surgery site, there was a white fragment of something sticking out of the gums - it's visible near the top of the photo. It seemed fairly hard, but was thin and maybe a bit flexible? It was hard to tell. As I tried to get a better look, I pulled up on her flew a bit more and I could see the skin tear slightly around this white thing sticking out. I was worried I was making things worse and took my fingers away. As I did so I could see this white thing slip back behind the gums. I opened her mouth a second time, delicately, and the white thing wasn't visible anymore, but it feels as though if I were to pull up her flew again and make the skin taught, that there is something bulging under the skin in that spot.

My vet's response was:

"it is hard to tell from the photo . There will be periosteal bone fragments that will be present. I did not completely suture the socket . Drainage is important. the carnassial tooth was removed in three fragments from the original slab fracture. The periosteal fragments will resorb. Currently there is no redness or swelling. sutures are holding fine. Umi should be eating well after a few days. Thanks for the update feel free to contact me if any questions"

Googling "periosteal bone fragments" isn't turning up anything, and although I can find lots of stuff about bone chips being left behind in human dental surgery and gradually working themselves out, I'm not seeing much about this sort of thing after canine dental extractions. I wonder if the vet is looking at the correct area, because this thing sticking out of her gums is not in the socket.... Does this seem normal to anyone here? I asked them to do x-rays if they thought it was necessary/important but they didn't feel that it was and didn't do them. I'm seeing lots of stuff online now about how x-rays should be done before and after to make sure everything is out. ugh.
Vet tech here, so defer to someone smarter than me if they answer, but I do a ton of dentals, so I'll give this a shot since this thread doesn't always get replies super fast. Your vet isn't wrong though, it's very difficult to tell what's going on from a photo.

There are a few different ways to pull a tooth, but a 108 that's still got healthy purchase to the jaw will generally be removed by cutting the gum tissue and pulling it back from the bone. The bone is then burred down to reveal the tooth roots, and the tooth is cut into pieces and extracted. The leftover bone tends to have lots of little sharp bits from the work done, so the surgeon will then burr the bone down a bit to smooth it out, and then the surgeon or the tech sutures the gingival flap over the whole site. It *looks* like maybe they missed a sharp bit of bone, and it has poked through the gingival flap.

That being said, it's not ideal, but my guess is your pup will be fine. Mouths heal well, granulation tissue forms over small bits of exposed bone, life goes back to normal. Is she eating well, acting herself, doing all the normal dog things? If so, stick to a soft food diet for a little longer than your vet may have suggested just to give that site longer to heal up. Keep an eye on the site, but be gentle with it. I've seen worse looking extraction sites (total dehiscence) heal on their own quite well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Waffle Grid posted:

Any ideas whether the fragment will always be there even if the tissue heals around it, or if it will instead push itself out or resorb? Or any long term complications even if it heals up for the time being?

I understand that things don't always go perfectly in surgery, no matter the skill level and how good intentions were... but is it reasonable for such an obvious bone shard to have been missed? It makes me question the rest of the clinic's work I guess and if I should return to them or not. Anything I could do to help ensure that this doesn't happen in future if she gets another tooth removed? Insist on before/after x-rays?
First of all, to clarify, you're totally justified in bringing the pup back in for a recheck. It should be offered as a free exam, and I think that's definitely your best course of action. My speculation was intended just as guidance on what might be happening. Your doctor is smarter than me, and having hands on access to the dog will be the best way to diagnose what's going on.

If I'm right and it's still attached, just a jagged area of bone, then it won't be resorbed, but the tissue will hopefully grow over it, the gingiva will tack back down to the bone, and everything will be fine long term. If it's a chunk of bone or tooth just floating around in the pocket, then I wouldn't necessarily trust that something that large would resorb. It looks pretty large. By that token, it's hard for me to imagine them missing a free floating chunk of something that large while suturing. Little salt grain sized chunks that flew off while drilling, sure, but that thing would be noticed just sitting there in the pocket.

As to whether you should trust them or not, since we don't even know what happened for sure, I don't think it'd be fair to say. Its not outside the realm of imagination that an otherwise good doctor could miss burring down a ridge though. Dental reextractions are bloody affairs in tight quarters where you're trying to prop open a mouth, hold back lips, hold back gingiva, etc while you work. If you've always felt like they gave good care in the past, and they resolve this issue to your satisfaction, I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me. If this is like, one more issue you've had with them though, that's a different story.

I will say a few things are at least different from how I've always seen dentals done though - We definitely x-ray everything (though if I'm right about what's going on, it wouldn't have been caught by x-ray. Other causes might have though), and we close all our flaps completely. Drainage is definitely important elsewhere, but it's always been explained to me that dentals get closed fully because drainage isn't worth the trade-off of food getting packed into an open wound. I understand the logic of wanting it to drain though, so it's not like, crazy, and maybe the way I've always seen dentals done is in fact the wrong way.

Let us know what happens.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks! Do I really need to store the fecal sample in the fridge as the vet instructed? I find the whole idea of doing that so very disturbing. Could I just store it in ice or drive up a fresh sample instead?
The fresher the better, and refrigeration can help towards that end, but it's honestly not that big of a deal - For reference, Idexx (one of the largest vet labs) has a program where people can collect a stool sample at home and then ship it via USPS overnight in an unrefrigerated box.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Torpor posted:

I have a cat with lymphoma and he has lost a bunch of weight. What is the best way to give a cat calories? I have tried high calorie pastes and it is malty and not appetizing for a cat, is there some kind of easily administered extremely caloric thing to give to a cat to get them serious calories?

Edit: a McDonald’s burger has better results than hill’s diet a/d or whatever super palatable prescription food.
If he's still got an appetite of some sort, and just needs something a little more tempting, see if your vet carries royal canin recovery. I mean, there's obviously tons of palatable non prescription foods out there, but recovery is calorie dense and I've seen really sick, inappetant animals go for it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

J-Spot posted:

Anyone here have experience with diabetic cats? Mine was recently diagnosed and it's proving to be a bit stressful. We started him on two units of insulin but that didn't seem to be doing much so he was upped to three a few weeks ago. Late Friday night he had some sort of episode where he seemed very out of it and blind from what I could tell. I took him to the emergency vet but the cause was inconclusive. The most obvious answer was hypoglycemia though his blood sugar reading wasn't quite low enough for the vet to feel that was the cause. On the vets advice I skipped his next insulin dose and now have him back on two units until I can talk to his regular vet.

One thing I'm struggling with is his diet. He's always been a free feeder but you're recommended to limit them to two meals a day. I tried that but it seems he has bilious vomiting syndrome and will throw up bile if he goes too long on an empty stomach. Naturally, the solution to that is free feeding. Plus he had gained weight in between vet visits so I somehow need to balance him getting enough to eat when he gets his insulin while also avoiding the vomiting and preventing weight gain.
Have you tried meal feeding with canned, and leaving a bit of dry out all day? If he'll adapt to that, perhaps snacking on dry throughout the day would keep the vomiting at bay without affecting his meal feeding too much. Otherwise, you could ask your vet about glargine, which depending on the cat might work better with a free feeding schedule. It's a more expensive insulin though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

redreader posted:

I've got a cat who started scratching her neck and head. I took her to the vet who said it was due to earwax and told me to clean the cat's ears every 2 weeks with a cotton ball and baby oil. I did that 2 weeks later and took her to a follow-up the next day. The vet said 'the ears were super dirty, please start cleaning them weekly. So I took a good look in there and one ear is fine, but the other ear gets completely caked (especially inside the ear canal and behind/in among all of the little ear bumps) with that black/brown wax stuff. If I clean on Monday then the cat will have that left ear back to completely filthy by Saturday or sunday. I started using q-tips too but I really don't want to do that any more (did it twice so far) even though it allows me to get so much gross stuff out. I don't want to damage her eardrums.

The vet said it wasn't ear mites.

Anyway, I want to maybe use earwax dissolving drops instead? Do they exist for cats? Otherwise I'll have to take her into the vet more often so they can do it themselves. Any advice? There's more black filth in there that I didn't get today because I didn't want to risk loving her ears up. So far I'm just using baby oil, cotton balls and q-tips which I am sure I will rightfully get shouted at about, here.
You mentioned they said it wasn't mites, but did they check for a bacterial or fungal infection?

In regards to earwax dissolving drops, there certainly are veterinary ear cleaners meant to break up ear wax (cerumene for example), but the fact that it's building up at an increased rate in just one ear suggests an infection to me, which would require medicated ear drops.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

I've got a 2-year-old cat with recurrent stomatitis (gum inflammation), and so far, she's been getting occasional (ca. every 4 months) steroid and antibiotic shots to control the inflammation. The vet says that the best solution is probably to remove her teeth, and I took her to a specialist vet dentist this morning. The dentist recommended extracting all her teeth, which with anesthesia and all would cost about $3200 USD.

Does all this sound correct?

This fluffy little goof:

It is the unfortunate end point to most bad stomatitis cases. As to having it done by a veterinary dentist though, while having specialists involved is top tier medicine, extractions (even full mouth) are something a general practice doctor should be able to handle for significantly cheaper. Did your GP already decline to do it? I've really only ever seen people referred out to a dentist if they want to save teeth. Then again, I've only worked at clinics with dental x-ray units, which I would consider a necessity for extractions.

Not to talk you out of it if money isn't a huge factor in your decision, of course, just noting it's not something outside the scope of general practice ability to do well and safely.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I have a similar issue, which I posted in the cat megathread. Got no answer, so I'll try here.

Your vet definitely isn't fooling with you to make money. Caninsulin (vetsulin in the us) is specified by the manufacturer to be stored in the fridge at all times. Their faq helpfully states that if you forgot yo refrigerate it, you should consult your veterinarian. All the documentation they give your veterinarian however says to refrigerate it at all times. So your vet can either cover their rear end the same way the manufacturer has and refuse to ok the use of unrefrigerated product, or they can soooort of cover their rear end and say "I mean, a few hours is fine, it happens in animals and people and doesn't seem to be an issue, but I mean, it's supposed to be refrigerated". I can say from experience that every doctor has a different number of hours they will ok, because it's not exactly a known thing. They rely on manufacturers conducting the actual studies, and when that stuff isn't given, then it's just what they've personally seen used as rule of thumb in school, or from other doctors, etc.

As to the other question about the 42 day limit. Again, not a cash grab by any doctor - They again rely on manufacturers for this info. That time limit differs by country as well, on the exact same product, btw, so it's further complicated by regulation well above any veterinarian's purview. You may stumble upon a doctor that once saw a study, or talked to a rep who said "internal studies actually indicate it lasts much longer", or what have you, but most vets read the label on the bottle and don't have any extra info to share with you, outside of again, things like "well, we once had a client that used it for longer and it was never an issue, but I mean, the label says...".

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 22, 2021

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

How long should I wait to take my cat to the vet for a limp? Overnight he apparently knocked out one of the second floor window screens, and probably fell to the ground level from there (I don't know when this happened as I was asleep and he was sitting on the outside window sill downstairs meowing at his brother who was inside). I brought him inside, and he hustled up the stairs, then came back down when I gave them their treats as normal in the morning and he seemed fine, including jumping on the kitchen counter which he is definitely not supposed to be doing. It wasn't until later I noticed him limping. His back left leg seems a bit injured, but doesn't look unusual or anything. I figured I'd monitor for a day and see how he does, since my vet is closed until Tuesday, anyway. (Why does he always end up having to go to the vet on holiday weekends?)
If he's weight bearing, that's not a bad plan. Do what you can to limit his activity until you can get him in/he improves.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

This morning my dog (~six year old Havanese-ish, no known health problems) threw up several piles of what looks like fettuccine. It did not look like the spaghetti-style worms that come up when you google "roundworms," but there is no way she ate actual pasta, so I'm assuming these are some sort of worms. I didn't think to get a picture before cleaning it up, but it looked remarkably similar to the photos posted in this thread https://www.dogforums.com/threads/a-mystery-the-case-of-the-fettuccini-puke.61446/ but the person there never posted a followup.

She takes Heartgard (not Heartgard Plus) every month; her last dose was yesterday. Other than the vomit she seems to be fine; walking around, drinking water, taking treats. Should I take her in? Wait to see if she does it again?

Edit: She seems to be doing fine: eating, sleeping, went on a long walk this evening with no complaints. Hopefully it was just a fluke. Well, not a literal fluke.
Regular heartgard doesn't protect against anything other than heartworms. Bring her in to get a dewormer, then switch her over to interceptor.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Waroduce posted:

I have a 5yr old 10lb mutt of some sort (shitzu, terrier, maltese are all common thigs) that injured herself at the dog park last thursday. She was chasing a dog, cut a corner and ran full speed into another pup that resulted in her popping her knee and she has a medial luxating patella now (knee cap slides in, knee slides out) on a hind leg. The vet did xrays and performed a movement test and graded it as a Grade 3, which is a chronic issue. The vet mentioned surgery, but i took her in a day after the injury and the vet mentioned that non invasive solutions are always preferred and many dogs just manage this issue, although the Grade 3 means it will be a chronic degenerative thing her entire life and the knee cap is generally out of alignment. However, while researching this, it seems common that the longer you wait to perform surgery the more sigificant the long term effects are as the cartlidge wears down, the groove on the bone wears down and she slowly moves closer to bone on bone as well as further risk of an ACL tear and other hip/joint issues.

My dog seems relatively ok, but its only been 3 days since the injury and i have not seen her nap at all during the day anymore. She sleeps in bed with me and whenever i check her her eyes are open which makes me very sad as she used to snooze quite a bit and this change in behavior concerns me.

Am I missing something in not pushing for near immediate surgery here? It seems to be a relatively common injury with a high success rate for the surgery. I'd prefer to have it done while she is young, the knee is not deformed and she still has cartidgle instead of addressing this and more later on in life say in 5 years and she can't bounce back quite as well.
If the money is not a huge concern, go for it. This is one of those things in vet med that we don't push hard on because it's generally a minor issue for the pet, and clients (understandably) don't want to pay for surgeries, but there's not really a downside to correcting an orthopedic issue, outside of rare complications. It's a correctable issue, anesthesia carries relatively low risks for a young healthy dog, and smaller dogs recover better after Ortho surgeries than larger ones. If it cost a hundred dollars, we'd push it more.

If money is a concern, it's a very common issue in small breed dogs that honestly rarely causes issues outside of occasional discomfort. She will have a long happy life either way.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Reik posted:

I think the vet said the anesthesia they used was buprenorphine, propofol, and isoflurane, but his heart rate didn't drop until the isoflurane? She also said she only had to give him like 1/4 to 1/8 of the isoflurane they normally use, I think she said they sustained him at 0.5% isoflurane when they normally use 2-3%?
Animals can have wildly different reactions to sedatives/anesthetics, and you do enough surgeries you see the extremes on both ends.

For what it's worth though, I don't know that I'd be so quick to point specifically to the iso as the issue. Saying the heart rate didn't drop until they put him on iso is potentially a little misleading (not in an intentional or malicious way of course, your vet sounds very responsible and competent). The bup likely was given first, as a premed. They may have taken a heart rate at some point between that and the propofol, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. After that, they'd place the catheter, induce with propofol, intubate, and start the iso. The time between pushing the propofol and starting the iso was probably 30 seconds or so, during which he likely wasn't hooked up to an ECG. Iso *is* the one of those 3 drugs that affect heart rate the most to be fair, but an adverse reaction to any of the 3 (or a combination thereof) could be blamed.

Which is all just to say that a different premed/induction protocol could give much different results, even with iso for any future anesthetic event.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 4, 2021

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

My 19 year old domestic shorthand tabby kitty cat is having considerable weight issues. She used to be a little chonker but she is now absolutely skin and bones. Behaviorally nothing has changed, she still does all the normal cat stuff, cleans herslef, plays, eats regularly etc. She just cannot hold any fat/bulk and I worry it hurts when I try to give her some rubs and brushes and it's just all spine.

She lives with my parents and I don't see her often, but my parents contemplate euthanizing and it'd definitely make my mom really sad. She mentioned something about the vet saying it's probably some old cat thyroid issue and that was it? I have no idea if they even did thyroid labs. I need to clarify more with my mom, but as a health care worker it seems really bizarre to just tell someone their old emaciated cat is just old with old problems and shrug.

I've been telling my mom as long as she is still doing normal adult daily activities without issues, I don't think it's time to worry yet. The striking frailty bothers me however.
Hyperthyroidism is pretty easily diagnosed and treated, so I'd honestly be surprised if the vet didn't make any offer to work the weight loss up, especially if they mentioned it as a possibility to your mother. Maybe a miscommunication? If not though, probably time to find a new vet. One way or another, definitely worth getting it sorted out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

After two blockages in the last 18 months we're looking to get a perineal urethstolomy on our cat early next year. I know prices vary by region and all but is there kind of am expected average? The local ER quotes $3-3.5k but they tend to have an 'ER' upcharge, they charged us twice what our vet does to unblock and keep him for observation.

Also I know companies exist for credit lines to cover procedures, are a good idea or kind of scam?
Very hard to say, as you pointed out due to regional differences, but 3.5 is high sounding. I'd expect mid 2000s. That being said, it's a procedure I wouldn't recommend bargain hunting for too much. Make sure whoever does it has done a bunch, successfully.

Care credit is a fantastic resource provided you are confident in your ability to pay it off within the zero interest period.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Upgrade posted:

My dog recently had a mast cell tumor removed. Got the pathology report back today - the good news is that its low grade, no sign of spread, the bad news is that one of the margins wasn't entirely clean so they want to go back in and be a bit more aggressive in resecting the tissue. Odd question, but is that typically something we pay full price for?
Expect it to be full price, but it's worth asking for a discounted rate. It'll boil down to whether or not the doctor who did it feels at "fault" or not. If it was in a tricky spot and they didn't initially feel comfortable going any larger on their margin, or if they did take a standard margin and this particular mass was just a little more proliferative than normal, they'll probably just (reasonably so) charge you full price.

If it's one where they left surgery that day going "hmm, I wonder if I should have gone a little further..", they may cut you a deal.

Be polite and reasonable either way, keeping in mind that everything could have been done absolutely text book and still yielded this result.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My cat managed to get his cone off and appears to have messed with his stitches from exploratory surgery. I think one stitch is missing and some of the others look a little messed with but they are still holding things nice and closed. It's been 4 days since the surgery. The wound still looks good and the same as before, aside from a little bit of blood where he either ripped off a small scab or it fell off from activity. He's already on antibiotics every 12 hours. Is it OK to just monitor the wound for now, or is this a get-to-the-vet ASAP situation? I put the cone on tighter this time, so hopefully he can't get it off again... TIA.

Edit: Pic of the wound. You can see that the top stitch is messed up and the one that should be below it is gone.

Send the picture to your vet, let the doctor assess it. If they don't offer that as an option, I'd say as long as the cat is otherwise doing well, doesn't get the cone off again, and the incision doesn't get any worse looking, he should be fine. Keep in mind that the skin closure is now a little more apt to fail (the body wall is held together with a separate line of suture), so it'll be even more important to keep his activity level down, if you haven't already been.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Douchebag posted:

Update on my previous post. We put her down today. Worst day of my life. Age got her.

She had myself, my son and wife with her the whole time. We had a few hours at home with her too, which was special. I’m heartbroken, I can’t stop crying. But she’s no longer in pain, no longer fighting just to appease us. She was stubborn til the end. God I miss her so much already.
My condolences. I'm sorry you weren't able to get an answer to what was wrong, but 13 is a good run for a bigger dog. They don't get that old without a lot of love and good care.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Can anyone give me any info on bilateral patellar luxation surgery for a cat? Like how is the recovery? How successful is it usuall? A cat i recently rescued has Right knee grade 1 and Left knee grade 2-3. They recommended to operate on the left.
How badly is it affecting the cat? How old is it? You asked about bilateral surgery - If you can avoid it, it's typically better to do one side at a time, and I'd say surgery on a low grade luxation on a cat is definitely something that could wait, or never be done at all.

Recovery is straight forward as long as you feel confident about being able to restrict activity for 6 to 8 weeks and the cat will tolerate you doing range of motion exercises with it. Success rate is something like 90 percent in cats and dogs, the smaller the animal the better.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I'm not 100% sure how old he is. He's little around 7lbs. He walks and gets around now with basically intermittent limping but it's also a cat so I can't tell how much pain he's in if any. This is an extremely friendly cat so he could probably be OK with me doing exercises with him. Would he have to be splinted during recovery? I know that is very rough on cats.... I don't want to put him through the recover if he's getting around relatively well now but the rescue I work with thinks that the grade 2 leg is the one we should do and just that side. I'll do whatever needs to be done for his recovery and I'm probably going to adopt him after anyway so I'm thinking about what is better for him long term.
I've never seen a leg splinted after a trochleoplasty, but can't speak for every surgeon. Typically you want them to be able to use the limb (very cautiously) and start range of motion exercises within a couple days after surgery. They'll wrap the entire leg in a very large bandage for the first 24 hours, but that's it.

The 'gold standard' would be to correct the leg with the more pronounced luxation to avoid possible arthritis down the line, but I've seen a loooot of cats with luxations go about their lives without issue. If the rescue hasn't spoken to an ortho surgeon about the case, I'd start with a consult there. Depending on your area, the surgery may be performed by just a regular gp, and honestly, if they've done enough of them, I don't think that's a terrible way to go, but getting a board certified orthopedic surgeon to weigh in on it before going to surgery wouldn't be a bad idea if it's an option.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

NotNut posted:

When my cat went to the vet they said she seemed to have inflamed gums and needed a dental exam, but it costs $500, which is more than I can afford. Is there any way to clean my cat's teeth at home, or places that provide charitable care to pets?
Sorry, 500 was for a dental exam or dental cleaning? I'm assuming the latter.

There are certainly some products you can try - https://www.vohc.org will have some veterinarian recommended options. Brushing is always helpful, provided your cat will tolerate it. For cats who won't, there are some dental treats and some water additives that can help with dental health.

Depending on how bad the inflammation is, and what's causing it, home care might not be enough to deal with it, but there's definitely no harm in trying. Even if you end up requiring the dental cleaning, finding a product that your cat likes will help prevent or at least delay the need for another cleaning down the line.

Is something like care credit an option for you?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

lwoodio posted:

My wife got a puppy that was microchipped through a company that wants $180 to register it. Is there a way to register it without going through this scummy company? I'm not sure the Vet understood what we are trying to do and told us we could do a second microchip but it isn't recommended because it would confuse the person reading the chip in the future.
Yes and no. You can technically register any chip with any company (more or less), but it can lead to confusion. If it scans as say, an AVID chip, whoever finds the dog will call avid, who will say they have no record of a registration on that chip, which depending on how bored/busy the person doing the scanning is, may end the search right there. If they're a bit more ambitious and use a universal chip lookup site, they may find your pup's registration, they may not.

You're right to be put off by a 180 dollar fee though, that's insane. I'd call a couple companies and ensure you find one that reports to the AAHA universal database.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Stoca Zola posted:

I've got a 18ish year old cat who has been diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma. The lump is fairly fast growing. It isn't somewhere that can be amputated (top of front leg around the bone) and it isn't operable. I guess he will probably die from it, and he already has other health problems, like a consistently low body temperature that the vet has no idea about, and pancreas that isn't really working - digestive enzyme supplement has been helping him keep his food down and he is maintaining his weight. I guess my question is, how is this going to play out? When do I know the time is right? He's the oldest cat I've ever had and I don't want to miss the opportunity to make his passing as kind as possible. Right now he's still eating, walking, not in pain. He seems happy, he still humps his brother and demands pets and snuggles. He's still himself and he seems like he still wants to be alive. I've seen some seriously ill/actively dying cats before (lost my FIV+ first cat to liver failure, another to some sudden cardiac problem, and another to acute pancreatitis) so I know what a very unwell cat looks like, and I don't want him to get to that point, but I also don't want to leave it for too long.
All the stereotypical advice applies - More bad days than good, Better a day too early than too late, etc. The truth is outside of some edge cases, if you love your cat, you get the timing right. You love them too much to say goodbye too early, but you also love them too much to watch them suffer, so it just sort of works out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

holefoods posted:

Our cat died today and I’m curious if maybe someone here can help me to understand what happened.

He was 15-16 and we were told about 8 months ago he has a cancerous mass. We took him in as he had been having issues keeping on weight. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure where the mass was as I was not present at these appointments. He was my partner’s cat and we’re both pretty broken up but her extremely so, and I don’t really want to ask at the moment. We were given steroids to help with his appetite which we gave him daily.

I noticed him seeming a bit lethargic and losing weight again over the past two weeks. His appetite wasn’t as good but he was still eating and drinking. This wasn’t particularly concerning to us as he had gone up and down in weight since his diagnosis. I didn’t notice anything of concern in his litter box over this time. He didn’t eat much of his breakfast or midday snack yesterday so we gave him an appetite stimulant that the vet gave us, and he ate the rest of his food for the day well.

This morning he ran into the kitchen normally for breakfast, he ate a bit of it and walked off so I gave him some of those kitty gogurt meat snacks and he ate 3 of those. He was behaving normally and was in my office with me sleeping in his bed.

About 2 hours later, he got out of the bed and puked up all of the food he ate and then went to his litter box and went to the living room. I didn’t think anything of it because this had happened occasionally over the last few months. I cleaned up the puke and as I finished he came back into the office. I noticed he was breathing heavily and when I looked at his face he was drooling and had something around his mouth (I say something because I’m not sure if it was some puke or some sort of foaming at the mouth reaction).

When I touched him he walked away from me and went under my chair and started yowling and hissing. I picked him up and put him in a cat carrier and started driving to the vet and he stopped breathing when I wasn’t even half a mile from my house. This all probably happened over the course of less than 10 minutes from when he came back into the office. I mentioned that there hadn’t been anything of concern in his litter box earlier because when I got back home I noticed there was a bloody loose stool in the box.

I know there was nothing I could do with how fast this happened, I’m just wondering if anyone can shine some light on what may have happened internally. This was pretty traumatic and I’m sorry for the wall of text, I just needed to get it out somewhere I suppose.
Hopefully by now you have reached out to your vet for some clarity, if not, you should feel free to. I was hoping one of this thread's vets would answer this for you, but it's a slow moving thread in a slow moving forum, I suppose. For what it's worth, without knowing the type/location of the mass, it's hard to say what may have happened, but a sudden death like that would lead me to guess the mass may have ruptured, causing internal bleeding.

Lady Demelza posted:

Holefoods I can't answer your question but that sounds horrendous for you, I'm sorry.

I have a cat with what I think is a bilateral eye infection. He was fine this afternoon and now he's in obvious discomfort, rubbing his eyes, and there's some clear fluid weeping and some eye bogies.

It's approaching midnight on a Friday. Can I wait and see if there's an improvement over the weekend? From my understanding, feline conjunctivitis is pretty common and clears up by itself.
Not sure if you've addressed this yet or not, but eye infections should be treated promptly, but aren't necessarily an emergency. Keep in mind, especially right now, your usual vet may not be able to get you in same day, or even next day, so you're potentially looking at Wednesday before being able to get in. If the eyes don't seem to be getting worse than they currently are, it could probably wait, but with the understanding that they can worsen quickly, and result in corneal ulcers. In short, it's a little bit of a gamble. If money is tight, keep a close eye on it and call first thing Monday morning (like, *first* thing - everybody else who had a minor issue over the weekend is calling Monday morning too). If you can swing an er visit without much financial pain, I'd recommend it. Eyes are sensitive tissue, and you only get the two.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

holefoods posted:

Never saw the actual vet, they didn’t check in to express any condolences or anything. Kept having to go into the hall and wave down various techs to ask details about the cremation and a paw print kit, etc. despite being given one of those buzzer things. No one ever came when we used it. So, yeah, pretty lovely on top of everything. I know vets are busy and I’m understanding about things like that to my detriment but it was just crappy. I get that like.. they didn’t do any service for us to put us in a room or anything but I guess I’m naive enough to think you should just be decent and give people a moment to mourn.
I'm sorry to hear all that. Charitably, they may not have realized you hadn't already said your goodbyes (sometimes folks bring in a deceased pet for cremation purposes fully intending to just drop them off), but also, sometimes clinics just suck.

Being a liver mass, I suspect my guess might have been correct. Liver masses are often hemangiosarcomas, which tend to eventually rupture. I know it must have been hard to watch, but as you said, at least he didn't suffer a long slow decline.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t yet understand what makes a food hypoallergenic. Is it just a single source of protein and limited additives? Is it a specific processing technique or something? Doesn’t every cat have different allergies? I’m relating this to humans like with peanuts or animal dander, and I don’t quite get it.
Most food allergies in dogs and cats are to animal proteins, chicken being the most common, followed by beef. That's why novel proteins like venison and kangaroo are popular choices - They have no overlap with the most common allergies (animals allergic to chicken tend to also be allergic to turkey, etc).

A true hypoallergenic diet uses hydrolyzed proteins - Broken down into small enough chunks that the immune system doesn't recognize them. Royal Canin has a diet called Ultamino that breaks them down almost to their base amino acids (but for whatever reason, it's a horribly unpalatable diet, cats tend to hate it ime).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Reik posted:

We noticed a bunch of bumps/hives on our dog yesterday so we took her to the vet, they gave her a benadryl and steroid shot and the bumps went away, then they said we could give her benadryl for like 3-5 days. Since the bumps completely cleared by the time we went to bed I assumed they wouldn't be back and didn't give her any, but about half an hour ago some bumps/hives came back, which would've been like 20-22 hours after the vet visit. Is it something that we should worry about, or was I just an idiot for not starting the benadryl last night? I ran to the store to buy it and gave her a dose like 10 minutes ago, waiting to see if the bumps clear up now.
Based on the fact that they responded well to benadryl and steroids in the first place, you should be fine to just continue the Benadryl for a few days. If it's zonking her out too much, you can lower her dosage a bit.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

loving cone really does not work. This is the original size of the thing given to me in the veterinary:

It's since been cut three times and she would still refuse to walk in this thing at all.

Went to the big pet store for an inflatable collar, but they only had sizes for big dogs. Thankfully though they had a way smaller and lighter cone. It did the trick! Thank all the gods, it did the trick fine. She's walking, running, climbing stairs, and even jumping to the sofa.

So if you are ever in the same situation, get a way smaller cone. It worked for us.
I'm glad it worked out for you, but keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't rubbing her face on furniture. They gave you a big cone on purpose to make sure she didn't have that ability.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

are there any at home treatments for ear problems, other than vinegar ?

My poor doodle keeps getting ear infections or apparent ear infections (head shaking, high ear yeast, etc.) and the things we've tried seem to only work in the short term, not the long; the vet's even said she's tried everything she knows (short term drops, long term drops, etc.)

Any outside the box ideas or home treatments that might be worth trying?
Most recurring ear infections are a result of allergies, has your vet mentioned allergy medications or food trials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

JosefStalinator posted:

Recently got my new kitten fixed, and he has been in his cone for about a week. No problems there, wound is healing nicely.

However, he really struggled to eat for a while, and I think he may be injuring himself. His lower lips have gotten swollen the last day or two, and since he can't really clean his face, I've had to clean food off his face fairly frequently. I noticed his lower lip getting really red/weird, and looked and it looks kind of like he is stabbing his lower lip area with his upper canines.

I'm probably gonna bring him in to the vet either Friday or Saturday, but given that it's holiday season, it's a bit tough. Would appreciate some advice on what this might be, and precisely how urgent it is to bring him in.

Is he currently eating ok? If so, it's not an overly pressing issue. It's possible his canines are digging into his lip, but cats and dogs can get ulcers on their lips and gums just through gentle contact with the teeth. You'll probably be prescribed steroids and an antibiotic, and it may or may not become a recurring issue. If so, and the teeth are found to be responsible, indoor cats do just fine having their canines extracted.