Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

One of my cats was diagnosed with diabetes last week. He's doing fine so far, except that he doesn't seem to want to eat anything except for his old food, which they recommended he stop eating because of the carb level. We're gonna try different low carb foods, but for now we're trying to keep my other cat from hoovering up all of the food he doesn't eat (the other cat is also a loving CHUNK with a heart murmur! Stop eating!!).

He's even really tolerant of the insulin shots. He ripped out his glucose monitor like within an hour of getting it, so we'll have to do a curve manually by pricking his ear in the next couple days. I will, my partner is still freaked out about giving shots and testing, so it's up to me. I don't blame my partner, but I am feeling the pressure a bit. Right now we are giving him one unit every 12 hours, and I'm scared of that being too much or too little, especially since how much he eats has gone down so much.

I know it could be much worse but I just feel like crying all the time now, I can't sleep well cause I'm worried I'll read the signs wrong and I'll wake up to something having gone wrong.
Sorry I guess I am kind of venting more than anything, but advice is definitely welcome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

That's a good idea. The vet attached it, and since he got it off so fast she said it was probably not worth trying again. Did you reattach the same one or a new one? The one we got was $60, so I'd like to re-use it if we tried again, the pin is bent though, if that matters. Is the vetbond easy to get off afterward?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Reik posted:

You'd need to get a new one I think, they're pretty finicky. They're the libre ones, right? We had to use some rubbing alcohol to get the vetbond off.

Yeah it's a libre. We ended up getting a meter to do it manually instead, we got a curve this weekend. Not a happy experience, though he was very patient with us (until the very end of the day, when he raised hell about the very last prick of his ears-who can blame him). Maybe I'll look into getting another libre in the future. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.