Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just posted this in the dog thread but then noticed this thread existed.

Can anyone point me to a resource for heartworm? I got my girl in January from a rescue, and she was heartworm positive. They're covering the treatment. She had an injection and overnight stay a month ago, and was scheduled to have one again on Friday.

Unfortunately, the hospital had to close unexpectedly and I'm not sure when they're coming back. They told me at the last treatment that there was only a small window for the next treatment. I'm trying to figure out how much of a window that actually is, and the hospital hasn't gotten back to me yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dixville posted:

I actually had to look this up because we almost never see heartworm cases in southern California and I've gotten out of practice. Generally the treatments are given with one injection, then one month later 2 more injections 24 hours apart. Apparently the criteria is "at least" one month between the first and second injections. So I would say as long as you got it done within a reasonable amount of time, like a month or so, you should be ok. Here is the heartworm society website that talks about protocols if you have other questions.

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/american-heartworm-society-guidelines

Thank you so much, my Googling was not helping me. I just want to make sure my girl is taken care of, it's been so frustrating going through this, she wants to play and walk and I can't let her. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey guys my pups poop has been yellow and soft the last week or so. I'm trying to get into the vet but there's a backlog due to lockdown. She's been on the same kibble since I got her with no issues (Kirkland Chicken and Rice) and I have given her canned pumpkin for a week, but wondering if there's anything else I might add? It's not quite diarrhea but very close. She's 60 days past her final heartworm shot but still is supposed to be taking it easy for a few more months so I'm extra cautious