Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Reggie survived surgery and he's home with me now, he's so full of energy, it kills me to know that he can't just fight it off.

Is there anything I can do to improve his situation? Far as nutrition or supplements of any kind? Right now they just have him on painkillers and antibiotics for his scar

Sorry to hear about Reggie. Not a whole lot I'm afraid. Just focus on him enjoying all of the dog things he likes until he's not able to do those things anymore 8(

It's always a crap situation - you often don't find out until they're critically unwell and then you have to make a rush decision about surgery or not. Re: chemo, you don't have to go full out. You could consider referral to an oncologist do discuss palliative care measures to extend quality of life, or even have your veterinarian email and oncologist to see if there is anything they might be able to offer at your own practice.

How was the hemangiosarcoma diagnosis reached? Have you had histology results back yet or is it based on presumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Dixville posted:

Edit: you might also ask the doctor about getting a mild sedative like trazodone if he seems too anxious or antsy. Just for the first couple weeks or so

Trazodone is king for anxiety, beaten only by my favourite combination trazapentin.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Just to clarify - have they confirmed the diagnosis by sending the spleen out to a lab or is this based on best guess +/- some X-rays of the chest? I only ask because ~2/3 of the time there is cancer and ~1/3 of the time it is benign (roughly).

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Aye, could be an underlying chronic gastropathy/gastroenteropathy (IBD, atypical Addisons, etc) that needs some investigating once all of this is over.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

I have a soon to be 10 year old, short haired black cat whose third eyelids have been showing for over a month now. I've taken her several times to the vet to get a physical, blood-work and x-rays taken and everything has come back positive. The only thing the doctor was concerned about was her weight which she's slowly been putting back on. Her behavior is normal, no changes in habits, her appetite is good, she's drinking her normal amounts of water, and was given a topical de-wormer. I'm confused as to why this is still a thing and concerned of what it could be, but my local vet has said everything is fine. Could their be other issues to this like allergies? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Could be Haws Syndrome

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

nulldev1ce posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered a thousand times before. Chronic kidney disease is pretty common in cats, as I understand it.

So, ours was recently diagnosed, based on a big increase in drinking water and peeing. Blood/urine samples confirmed it, and they prescribed the special food. My family's been down this road with other cats in the past...they hate the damned food. Ours seems to be okay with the dry, but she won't touch the wet stuff, even if we drizzle tuna water/oil on it.

I understand that the special food is lower in protein -- the first ingredient listed is water -- so my question is, would it be OK if we gave her a heavily-watered-down, smaller quantity of her old canned food that she DOES like? It seems counterintuitive to feed her *only* dry food when she's already thirsty...

The main point of the diet is protein and phosphorus restriction. There are a TON of kidney prescription diets these days, so try some variety and see what she likes. It's literally the only evidence based thing you can do to prolong her life/quality of life.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Yeah being a consumer and making decisions is not easy with all of the marketing and crazies out there. I work in emergency/critical care medicine so the feelings on CKD management may have moved on without my notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Very jealous, I've never gotten to be part of a c-section. Everyone I work with assures me it's actual hell, but still, I bet the first one is fun.

I have no love for this procedure