Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Yuo think you can take me? ill eat ur dumb werewolf ass alive, loser.

Our senior boy Rodney had a lot of blood in his mouth last night, got him to the vet and they're pretty sure it's a squamous cell carcinoma under his tongue. They're doing a biopsy today to confirm. Looks like it's an aggressive cancer, but I'm hoping that since he's getting diagnosed when he has no trouble eating/drinking we can give him some quality time. Has anyone here dealt with this before? If so, how did it go?

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

How big are the steroid pills? We use gelatin capsules and a pill gun and it has helped a ton with giving cats medications. If it's not cancer, would removing the lymph node be curative? How risky would the surgery be if he continues to bounce back?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

One of our girl cats is having a rough time right now, she has been losing weight due to hypercalcemia that we were thinking was just idiopathic since we had been managing it for a while with alendronate, but she lost about 1lb in a month so we took her in for an ultrasound and they found a mass on her bladder that we've got a presumptive diagnosis of transitional cell carcinoma after a fine-needle aspiration. They sent off her calcium panel though and the ionized calcium is only slightly elevated, which they said doesn't line up with hypercalcemia of malignancy, so they think it's probably her early stage renal disease causing the hypercalcemia and the carcinoma is asymptomatic for now. She's also got arthritis and low-grade chronic pancreatitis in addition to the cancer and renal disease, but besides some back leg stiffness it's really just that she's losing weight. We've got her on cerenia to help with nausea she has from the pancreatitis, gabapentin for the arthritis pain, and mirtazapine to try and get her to eat more, but she's still not gaining and she's around 8lb 10oz right now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

We had her on cerenia and pantoprazole/ondansetron before her recent stay at the hospital, using ondansetron before and after her weekly alendronate dose and pantoprazole the rest of the time, but the internist said just cerenia should be fine. I'm kind of hoping the oncologist gets her on a steroid since it seems like that could help with appetite, calcium, cancer, and arthritis.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

We first discovered the pancreatitis because she had chronic vomiting so maybe that's why we started with cerenia, I'll ask about the ondansetron though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Did you put the glucose monitor on yourself? Our vet did the first few but we started putting them on ourselves and used a few drops of vetbond in addition to the adhesive it comes with. That might help them from ripping it off, and you could also get a little padded collar to around their neck to help them from getting to it as well.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ventral EggSac posted:

That's a good idea. The vet attached it, and since he got it off so fast she said it was probably not worth trying again. Did you reattach the same one or a new one? The one we got was $60, so I'd like to re-use it if we tried again, the pin is bent though, if that matters. Is the vetbond easy to get off afterward?

You'd need to get a new one I think, they're pretty finicky. They're the libre ones, right? We had to use some rubbing alcohol to get the vetbond off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Our cat continues to be medically baffling. She got a presumptive diagnosis of Transitional Cell Carcinoma 6 weeks ago when we did an ultrasound to look for the cause of her high calcium levels. We were going to start her on palladia but her appetite was still not great and we found out it was because her pancreatitis was flaring up again so we had been working on getting that under control and she's back to eating well again and putting on weight. Yesterday we noticed she was being weird at the litter box, only peeing a small amount before getting out, going to another litter box, and peeing a small amount again. Assuming this was progression of the cancer we took her in for an ultrasound today before finally starting her on palladia, and apparently her tumor has shrunk slightly and was visibly less dense in the ultrasound despite her getting no cancer treatment since her diagnosis.