Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

buy some buttons, support a goon

One of our cats Cheeto stopped being able to poop yesterday at about this time. He has peed some but to me it seemed less than usual. He just peed and we looked at it and it was pink. We are in the parking lot of the emergency vet because this happened an hour after all the normal vets closed for the weekend. We cannot afford this. We are hoping they let us at least get him treated before demanding payment. We have a few hundred dollars above bills and I already know that won't even cover how much this will cost but I can't lose him. There is nothing in this world that matters more to me than my cats and I am struggling to hold it together as I wait for them to take him in. I do not know what it will cost yet. I hate to have to ask for help again but I will do anything to make him better. He is only 5 and I am not ready to lose him. He has been acting fine all day other than the pink pee and has been eating and drinking and playing but blood in urine is the biggest red flag there is with cats. I am beyond panicked.

I'm scares they will take him and stick him in a room until tomorrow morning or something and he won't make it through the night. He's been seeming totally fine other than this all day but I understand this to be a very serious problem potentially. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

cheeto is at the vet, we are waiting to hear back from them. the vet seemed to think he probably just strained too hard trying to poop, so it's likely JUST constipation. gonna be a long couple hours though. a saintly goon has made sure that the costs are covered, for which I will be forever grateful. this community is really amazing sometimes.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

YourCreation posted:

More likely he has a bit of cystitis and you just saw him straining to urinate for longer periods of time. Hopefully with a bit of pain relief and time he'll feel much better 8)

this was in fact the eventual diagnosis. Before last night he had been totally 100% better for over a week - like 10 days I guess - and had been without medication, no litterbox problems at all, etc. Friday we took him out for a leash walk and yesterday we moved in some new furniture that our friends were getting rid of. He got wet food at around 8:30 pm, and was normal, excited about it, jumping up to watch my wife make it, playing with his brothers, etc. Minutes after eating, he suddenly began yowling like we've never heard before - SCREAMING, really. It was terrifying and I have never heard a cat in such obvious pain before. Just over and over and over again, yowling at the top of his lungs. We dropped what we were doing and ran out the door with him to the e vet immediately. They checked his vitals and they were all OK and did an ultrasound and saw no stones and saw that his bladder was very small, indicating it had been recently emptied, so he wasn't blocked. The vet believes he had a bladder/urethral spasm, perhaps because he had a couple exciting days and wasn't as 100% as we thought he was from the last incident. These are intensely painful, and it seems to explain why he'd be ok and then very very suddenly be screaming in pain. He's back on pain meds now and now also an anti-spasm medication; he slept through the night last night zonked on drugs after having eaten a little more and drank some more while they kicked in. When we got up to use the bathroom ourselves a little bit ago, he wound up getting up and we think(we didn't see it, but the time frame makes sense) got up and peed, and it hurt, and he got up in our bed doing his meowling t hing again but not as loud or frequently as last night, but clearly his 'I'm not ok, help me' vocalization. We gave him more of his pain meds and he's back asleep again. I wish we'd have seen him pee just now, but we're pretty sure that's what happened even though we didn't. He just wanted us to get up and comfort him and make it better, and I think that's what we did. We are taking him to our normal vet tomorrow. This plan of action has been endorsed by the e-vet, who thinks there's no reason to think he's not gonna make it until then.

I hate that he's going through this, whatever happened last night was easily the worst thing he's ever experienced. He was screaming in pain, out of nowhere.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

this was in fact the eventual diagnosis. Before last night he had been totally 100% better for over a week - like 10 days I guess - and had been without medication, no litterbox problems at all, etc. Friday we took him out for a leash walk and yesterday we moved in some new furniture that our friends were getting rid of. He got wet food at around 8:30 pm, and was normal, excited about it, jumping up to watch my wife make it, playing with his brothers, etc. Minutes after eating, he suddenly began yowling like we've never heard before - SCREAMING, really. It was terrifying and I have never heard a cat in such obvious pain before. Just over and over and over again, yowling at the top of his lungs. We dropped what we were doing and ran out the door with him to the e vet immediately. They checked his vitals and they were all OK and did an ultrasound and saw no stones and saw that his bladder was very small, indicating it had been recently emptied, so he wasn't blocked. The vet believes he had a bladder/urethral spasm, perhaps because he had a couple exciting days and wasn't as 100% as we thought he was from the last incident. These are intensely painful, and it seems to explain why he'd be ok and then very very suddenly be screaming in pain. He's back on pain meds now and now also an anti-spasm medication; he slept through the night last night zonked on drugs after having eaten a little more and drank some more while they kicked in. When we got up to use the bathroom ourselves a little bit ago, he wound up getting up and we think(we didn't see it, but the time frame makes sense) got up and peed, and it hurt, and he got up in our bed doing his meowling t hing again but not as loud or frequently as last night, but clearly his 'I'm not ok, help me' vocalization. We gave him more of his pain meds and he's back asleep again. I wish we'd have seen him pee just now, but we're pretty sure that's what happened even though we didn't. He just wanted us to get up and comfort him and make it better, and I think that's what we did. We are taking him to our normal vet tomorrow. This plan of action has been endorsed by the e-vet, who thinks there's no reason to think he's not gonna make it until then.

I hate that he's going through this, whatever happened last night was easily the worst thing he's ever experienced. He was screaming in pain, out of nowhere.

he's now hospitalized due to blockage. he is going to be catheterized for now and is expected to undergo surgery to hopefully permanently prevent this from recurring. I am fortunate that my parents are able and willing to help us through this financially, as pets have always been important as any other part of the family to us, but it will likely cost at or around $4000 in total, and I cannot imagine having to go through this without their help because the other option is simply letting him die.

gently caress.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

Cheeto is out of surgery and is going to be ok. Might have him back tonight, and it'll probably be a couple weeks of having to manage his recovery post surgery. But we aren't losing him so I don't care, whatever. Just want him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

cheeto is home. it will probably be a rough couple days, and a two week recovery, and he will have to learn to use the litterbox again basically. but he's gonna be ok.

Only registered members can see post attachments!