Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Any cat owners here have any experience with radioactive iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism? Our cat Tucker is scheduled for the procedure next week. The post-treatment protocol seems pretty strict so wondering what the risks are to me if I give in to his charms and spend more than the allotted 30 min/day with him, especially since he will have just been back from the hospital for 4 days and likely dying for attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My cat gets once-monthly constipation where he'll start yowling and licking at his anus and he'll puke a few times. After about an hour or two of us worrying about him and monitoring him to make sure he doesn't puke, he usually ends up leaving a very large stool in or around his litter box and is back to normal for the next 30-45 days until it happens again.

Is there anything that can be done besides waiting it out to help him when he's having an episode like this? And is constipation at this rate something to worry about? We've brought it up at his vet checkups (and took him to the emergence vet first time it happened about a year ago) and the recommendation was to just give him miralax and a high fiber dry food formula for constipation (which had its own issues because he really really liked that food and ended up leaving skid marks all over the rug, so it's no longer an every day addition).

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Late update to above, but I ended up taking him into the vet the next morning since he hadn't passed a stool overnight and they manually removed his rectal blockage. We're adding the fiber dry food back to his diet, skid marks be damned, so we hopefully don't have to deal with the blockages again.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My mom's cat Desmond, who is about 10, has been pulling out his fur on his legs. She's spent the year with the vet trying different treatments for allergies mainly diet change and a course of prednisone with no effect on his condition. I have a friend who has had Prozac prescribed for her cats' stress issues, but can't get my mom to get her vet to prescribe it since he seems set on it being a skin issue.

Is it worth looking for a new vet? She's worried a new vet would start at square one with treatment options. We've also tried a pheromone diffuser the past month and haven't seen a change yet. Open to trying CBD or other options as well. Other than the excessive fur pulling, Desmond is healthy, has a good appetite and is very friendly and active.