Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
https://www.soil-rts.com

This is my hobby project space based real-time strategy PC game. You build spaceships and send them to their deaths.

As a hobby project this is moving at a glacial pace, as I work on this alone so far (except for one guy that made a bit of music, one voice actor and one guy that drew few ship designs, which I modeled to the best of my abilities so they look like poo poo, lol). In my infinite wisdom, I decided to do this without a game engine, so it takes a lot longer than it should.

As a unfinished hobby project this is naturally a freeware at the moment, and most likely will remain like that.

How much of it is done?
There are few campaign missions, 2 ancient missions that I made years ago it feels like and multiplayer, which tends to desync on specific computers (no idea what's going on so far). There are some lovely 3d models made by me, some reasonably good looking asteroids which I downloaded, and above mentioned music and one voice for units. Most of sounds is missing, so playing this without sound isn't much of a loss.

----

I appreciate all feedback, if you try it and think it sucks all the better if you tell me why that is

Here is a miminum :effort: video I could do. Putting less effort into it would mean I wouldn't make it at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROAQDWWxDAU

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
~Yoo-hoo.

I'll check this out sometime when I'm home. Got any screenshots or videos though? Googling for Soil RTS brings up zilch.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 6, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mordja posted:

~Yoo-hoo.

I'll check this out sometime when I'm home. Got any screenshots or videos though?

One screenshot is on webpage, I have some videos on youtube, though they are extremely bad and also at least 4 years old. I should have probably done new one :thunk:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the background hurts my eyes, if it was just black plus the nebula stuff i think it would be much clearer, the white ships on the white starfield makes it hard to focus on them

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

queeb posted:

the background hurts my eyes, if it was just black plus the nebula stuff i think it would be much clearer, the white ships on the white starfield makes it hard to focus on them

Fair point. Maybe I just got used to it (or maybe it helps I have monitor on lowest brightness most of the time). I'll try fiddling around with the starfield to make it dimmer and/or blurrier

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah this is what it looks like on my screen:

i didnt realize there was stuff across the screen from me until just now

i do love the way the ships move so far, the decelerating and poo poo is neat

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

queeb posted:

yeah this is what it looks like on my screen:

i didnt realize there was stuff across the screen from me until just now

i do love the way the ships move so far, the decelerating and poo poo is neat

yeah, that isn't good. I was making the starfield on "horizon" to be more dense mainly for effect, because that angle is mostly unusable for playing. And I also noticed starting camera in "tutorials" is hosed :doh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

commando in tophat posted:

yeah, that isn't good. I was making the starfield on "horizon" to be more dense mainly for effect, because that angle is mostly unusable for playing. And I also noticed starting camera in "tutorials" is hosed :doh:

hahah yeah, i was slightly confused at the start, i couldnt tell if i was super zoomed out or something, but once I figured out the controls it was all good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does this game have sexy alien babes, OP? If not I think that would be a great way to drum up some interest.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

Does this game have sexy alien babes, OP? If not I think that would be a great way to drum up some interest.

Unfortunately all the hot babes are inside spaceships :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Hey, I published updated version of this crap a very productive year this was :(. If somebody is bored to death during holidays, I would love to hear some thoughts on it. I also edited in a link to real low :effort: video. I have no idea how to make something trailery-looking for slower paced RTS, and it would probably just be wasted time at current state of the game