Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

The Management posted:

insert 3000 character error message from a c++ compiler complaining that type “giant template expansion” is not compatible with type “another giant template expansion”

came to say this, but was just going to say 'any g++ output'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i want to say there has to be someone somewhere that made a tool to take that output and make it into something understandable by mere mortals, but considering c++'s templates it's entirely possible that's just another compiler and/or equivalent to solving the halting problem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
replace all c++ errors with the string "shits hosed up probably somewhere maybe near line NNN but maybe not, good luck"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm afraid to find out which error this will throw

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

420 ENHANCE YOUR CHILL

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm afraid to find out which error this will throw

artist name field?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I always thought that this had a :thermidor: vibe:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

replace all c++ errors with the string "shits hosed up probably somewhere maybe near line NNN but maybe not, good luck"

thats a lot of words to say php errors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

found a couple of old faves

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

you have to load some virtual paper into the virtual printer, duh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i feel like this thread is running down. I can scrute lot of the error messages that have been posted in the last few days.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

actual log from these very forums

burning swine
May 26, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
luckily this isn't my problem, i'm only the messenger

quote:

Late to registration jam, from tray 2

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

forget it echi, it's Bose Revolve+ SoundLink

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

code:
Python 3.7.5 (default, Oct 16 2019, 12:36:19)
[Clang 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> exit
Use exit() or Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

I had never realised how much git command help sounded like a DnD adventure prompt

"You are in a detached head state, you are likely to be eaten by a GNU"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rotor posted:

i feel like this thread is running down. I can scrute lot of the error messages that have been posted in the last few days.

scrute this bicth

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this one is weird because while it is clear that something terrible has happened it gives you zero guidance on how to fix it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

start by tidying the loving desk

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
There was a small tourism company I did some work for. They had a database that they'd custom-made from some guy who'd done it in visual basic. For reference, the guy who made it had a full time job as a landlord and no programming background.

When you logged into the database frontend with an incorrect user/name password it wouldn't display an error, it just would display everything incorrectly, with random fields being blank. I confirmed with him this was his intended correct behaviour for indicating that someone logged in incorrectly.

They later moved to an over-blown microsoft dynamics setup that cost about a million dollars and burned through several full time database administrators who quit when trying to migrate the data from the original visual basic setup. That project almost downed the company (it was a pretty small 50 person company mostly full of retired fishermen).

Ha, his website is still up as well https://www.tkosoftware.com/

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kevin make my app

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

so i told Booourns to turn off his monitor.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahaha!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

scrute this bicth

ah, this brings back memories. if i remember correctly, this was triggered by a function call that had to be called by the app after checking some permissions, and that call asked for a string to display to the user. problem is, the xbone pre-launch was a bit... chaotic, and the doc wasn't exactly clear what context the string would be displayed in was (or many other things, for that matter). so that was pretty much the end result

i can only imagine what it was like in other languages where there was even less info and things would go through the translation meat grinder first

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Falcorum posted:

"You are in a detached head state, you are likely to be eaten by a GNU"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
spotted on a 12' tall screen on a boat yesterday

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i just show some choice pics from this thread and my psychiatrist just gives me a refill on my Klonipin with no further questions.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Laslow posted:

i just show some choice pics from this thread and my psychiatrist just gives me a refill on my Klonipin with no further questions.

that’s the selfie camera not the screenshot function

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

spotted on a 12' tall screen on a boat yesterday

Reminds me I caught this one on Halloween

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1190030403744206849?s=19

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

gently caress that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time

same I had to stop and put effort into actually trying to remember why it was so familiar

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

PC LOAD A4

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
idk, seems straightforward & accurate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tankakern posted:

PC LOAD A4

*angrily stuffs b3 back into box*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i don't know that it's inscrutable, but lp0 on fire seems pretty good at getting users to pay attention to the error