Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Written in the order I thought of them (which is itself a statement) followed by me ranking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am so, so happy to not be the only person repping Drag Race on their list this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

2 Better Call Saul: con man coming into his own and it is soooooo good.

Saul didn't air a new season in 2019, so consider adding a new show to your list to avoid being disqualified.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Saul didn't air a new season in 2019, so consider adding a new show to your list to avoid being disqualified.

should disqualified anyway for numbering his list out of order like a putz.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

esperterra posted:

I am so, so happy to not be the only person repping Drag Race on their list this year.

They gave us good poo poo to work with in 2019! I still need to watch Thailand at some point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Go ahead and replace it with Schitts creek. That show isn't getting enough love. That goes at 10, all other numbers adjusted accordingly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know you can edit your posts

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

3 She-Ra: gay show gets gayer. "Hey Adora" -- its just perfect

2 Better Call Saul: con man coming into his own and it is soooooo good.

1 Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: I cant believe this happened this year. It feels like a thousand years ago but it is amazing.

4 Bojack: you know it, you love it. Nuff said.

6 Undone: fun little romp. Good synergy between other shows I like so I went in with high expectations and it delivers.

7 Man in the High Castle: this whole show, if properly edited, would have maybe 2 seasons, likely 1.5 seasons and it would be amazing. A lot of the episodes and themes from the heavily edited alternate reality version would be from this season.

5 Mandalorian: best SW since 1983. Really good stuff, I want to move to Orlando to be closer to Disney world.

9 Love Death and Robots: we finally let a computer write an anthology show and it turns out the algorithm thinks we are all weird furries.

8 Orville: good next generation trek fanfiction now available on TV

10 The boys: Hi Velvet, this is Taniqua
My, time sure does fly
Not a day goes by where I don't think about you
I didn't appreciate you putting me on blast
On that last record, by the way
But I've forgiven you
Anyway, I'm not calling to have you
Put me on the guest list for tonight
But I was wondering if I could ride with you
I have to get my hair and nails did
So please tell the limo driver to wait for me
Meet me at the club

1. Can you order your list properly from 10-1 (1 Being The Best)
2. Can you actually name your shows properly (Bojack and to a lesser extent She-Ra, Orville, Man in the High Castle, Mandalorian)
3. Can you only list shows that aired in 2019 (Better Call Saul)

Shbobdb posted:

Go ahead and replace it with Schitts creek. That show isn't getting enough love. That goes at 10, all other numbers adjusted accordingly.

No. You.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did doctor who qualify for this year, considering it only had one episode in 2019?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If that episode truly first aired in 2019, then it counts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rocksicles posted:

Did doctor who qualify for this year, considering it only had one episode in 2019?

It counts, but as much as I love Doctor Who I couldn't really justify including a single episode that aired on the first day of the year into my Top 10 over other shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it had a nyd special, but the season finished in december 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rocksicles posted:

it had a nyd special, but the season finished in december 2018

Then it doesn't, because it didn't air any episodes in 2019 proper.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If that's the case, can BSam edit their post

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not a Mod or in charge of the poll, so I couldn't edit your post, even if I wanted to.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

7. Fyre: The Party That Never Happened - I was obsessed with the Fyre Festival for a few days so it was ace to go revisit that whole mess

Should this be eligble? Isn't it a film?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Should this be eligble? Isn't it a film?

"Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened is a 2019 American documentary film "

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
TV movies have generally been eligible in the past, so as long as it was released straight to Netflix without a theatrical run, yes?

Also, looks like Dr Who had one episode/special air in 2019, so it should also be eligible.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fyre is a movie

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I'm not a Mod or in charge of the poll, so I couldn't edit your post, even if I wanted to.

I'm fine letting my testament stand. I'm sure the person running this thread will care or not, as is appropriate.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I just saw the last episode of Mando and let's go ahead and swap it with the Exapnse. As my belter friends say, "it crush rear end into dust" (which if you think about zero g bone structure is basically an endorsement of snuff) whereas Mando jumped the shark and is gonna be the rear end getting crushed to dust.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You are crushing this new style of low effort posting, fix your own mess.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If this was a high engagement thread that argument would make sense. If it is me and like six other dudes making the effort to post a top 10 I'll view it as a salon-style conversation. People nitpicking me generating relevant content is at this point like a fifth of the posts in this thread. You want my list not to count: cool. Post your own and make content!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It makes it easier for the nice poster volunteering their free time to read through our posts and tally up the lists. There is no reason at all for them to have to keep in the back of their mind that some lists are wrong and the posts fixing them are later in the thread.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I did the Q analysis on your posts. You are good
E: ricketsickles this is for you.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

esperterra posted:

It makes it easier for the nice poster volunteering their free time to read through our posts and tally up the lists. There is no reason at all for them to have to keep in the back of their mind that some lists are wrong and the posts fixing them are later in the thread.

They are free to discount my ramblings. I'm more here to talk about tv I like than to rank tv i like. I like rankings because theoretically I could see someone with a similar ranking and go "I want to see this new show". Its already happened for me with lodge 69. I want to see that show. An aggregate ranking doesn't appeal to me so I dont care if I'm excluded.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stubborness isn't a quality you should lead with.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've always found being accommodating to be much more detrimental.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rocksicles posted:

Stubborness isn't a quality you should lead with.

Looking at your rap sheet, we may just have a fundamentally incompatible view on what these forums are about, though I appreciate your concern.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

Looking at your rap sheet, we may just have a fundamentally incompatible view on what these forums are about, though I appreciate your concern.

Not every post needs to be a gently caress you to the system. It's possible to just be a human being for 15 mins while you interact with like minded folks. But you do you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm not saying "gently caress you to anybody". I'm just talking about shows I like. You want to be needlessly aggressive: that's great. You do you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm fine letting my testament stand. I'm sure the person running this thread will care or not, as is appropriate.
If only we had some way to know who that mysterious person was or what their thoughts were on this issue.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Oh snap. I'll edit it sometime this weekend.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“oh cool! 26 new posts! can’t wait to read all the new lists!!”

oh it’s just one guy being a jackass

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
two guys...

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Arist posted:

Then it doesn't, because it didn't air any episodes in 2019 proper.

Why would the new years day special episode not count as an episode?

Unless you forgot the one at the start of 2019 and think we are talking about the new episode just aired.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
These shows were very difficult to put into a list, mainly because I like a lot of them just as much, but for entirely different reasons. I could make several top 5s based on different content, impact, style, type... I think that everything below my top 5 is equally worth watching in some way or another, so I've tried ranking them according to how memorable they were.

To start off I should perhaps also mention the series I for some reason watched in their entirety, only to be so let down by them they do not earn a place on the list: Mindhunter, Umbrella Academy, Good Omens, Mr Robot, Handmaid's Tale...

1 Fleabag: by and far the best rendition of the human condition I've ever seen.
2 Barry: immaculate; funny, clever, dark, weird, well paced, well produced, well acted.
3 Derry Girls: a pitch perfect timepiece, good for laughs, but heartwarming too.
4 The Dark Crystal: very pleasantly surprised with this, growing up with and absolutely loving the movie, and having a great fondness for puppetry.
5 Wayne: One of the series that I put higher because it got cancelled for no good reason, Wayne was fast paced, poignant, funny, badass.
6 The Tick: One of the series that I put higher because it got cancelled for no good reason, The Tick has my absolute favourite superhero played by the one man born to play him.
7 Tuca & Bertie: One of the series that I put higher because it got cancelled for no good reason, Tuca & Bertie gave us a brief view into a dense universe that I would loved to have seen more of.
8 Cobra Kai: Like a feverdream cooked up by Barney Stinson, this extrapolation of The Karate Kid keeps being absolutely amazing.
9 The Mandalorian: Came in late but came in strong, giving us better Star Trek than the past few years in film have.
10 GLOW: The Glorious Ladies are still wrestling, with themselves, their relationships and their lives. I came for the scanty costumes, I stayed for the show.
11 One Punch Man: the perfect anti-anime.
12 Russian Doll: I love weird poo poo. This poo poo was weird.
13 Dead To Me: Very fond of Christina Applegate's performance in this one, though I hope they never make a second season, because I fear it'll be poo poo.
14 The End Of The loving World: A to me unnecesary, but welcome and well executed addition to the near perfect first season.
15 Big Little Lies: Meryl Streep is insanely good in this.
16 Marvelous Mrs Maisel: Witty and light hearted, but despite its own efforts, not much more than that.
17 Undone: Quirky and with a specific esthetic, I felt the story lacked a bit of oomph but enjoyed it nonetheless.
18 Kingdom: I'm not usually a fan of zombies, but I am very much a fan of hats!
19 The Boys: Edgy take on superhero series, but in a fun way.
20 Succession: Not usually my cup of tea, but very compelling.
21 Future Man: It's great when shows do not take themselves to seriously, but do put in the effort to be funny.
22 Watchmen: A series which, I hope, is the first step in bridging the gap between the comic and movie, and an exploration of the world as seen in this first season.
23 Catch 22: really captures the spirit of the book, I feel, showing the absurdity and horror of war.
24 Warrior: Very cool how Bruce Lee shines through in action sequences, dialogue and concept.
25 What We Do In Shadows: a succesful serialisation of the movie, moving it to the US and in the hands of a new crew of vampires.
26 Carnival Row: an 'epic noir', so to speak. Mostly into this because I'd follow Cara Delevingne down any rabbit hole.
27 Letterkenny: still churning out skits with the usual suspects.
28 Man in the High Castle: a weird, final season, with some of the best and worst bits of the entire show.
29 Get Shorty: I mostly watch this to see Chris O'Dowd be a psycho. He makes a very good one.
30 The Preacher: A bit meh ending to a great series, but still watchable.
31 Legion: Very pretty. Pretty weird. Glad it's over though.
32 Stranger Things: I hope Stranger Things will radically change after this season, because while I enjoyed it, I'm pretty much done with these characters.
33 Doom Patrol: another rather unique take on a superhero series, can be very hit or miss.
34 Star Trek: Discovery: Loved the first season and especially the setting, will love it again if they stop talking about their emotions in the middle of pressing crises.

I've probably forgotten some or other series that I've watched, but if I did not remember it, how good could it have been, really?

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 6, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BSam posted:

Why would the new years day special episode not count as an episode?

Unless you forgot the one at the start of 2019 and think we are talking about the new episode just aired.

I don't watch Doctor Who. Which year did the new year's episode air in? No one has said. All I did was check Wikipedia and the two seconds I did doing that suggested there were no episodes between December of 2018 and January 1st, 2020.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It aired on January 1st, 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Updated my list. Changed out AEW Dark for Marvel's Runaways at #10, because I just finished Season 3 yesterday and really liked it.