Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Turns out I need to catch up on a lot of TV shows that aired this year, like Bojack, GLOW and Ms Maisel. This is what I got though:

10. South Park
More of the same stuff, except not really, as first half of the season is focused on Stan's Tegridy Farms and using the business to springboard into the usual current event commentary Trey and Matt tend to do. Then the later eps are standalone eps focusing on different SP characters, in a TV show inside a TV show meta deal, like when the residents of SP watch last season's PC Babies show on their terrestrial TV

9. Watchmen
First six eps hit the mark of good TV, but Lindelof fails to match the hype with the last two eps that hamfist an ending into various threads sewn in the first half. Nonetheless a brave attempt at creating a Watchmen universe that goes past the comics and even expands on some things, like Hooded Justice. Not necessarily all for the better, but unique and entertaining anyway.

8. Rick and Morty
Only five eps so far, one of which isn't as great as the others, but more of the same crazy sci fi concepts that only R&M can do. Animation quality got a good jump this season as well.

7. Black Mirror
The 3 episode release was a nice surprise when it came out. Not as great as past BMs but still some unique tech concepts explored with human consequences.

6. The Expanse
Not as fast paced or high stakes as previous seasons, but still a nice little season to warm up their new relationship with Amazon. We get to see more of the main cast doing what they do best.

5. Chernobyl
Though the facts are a bit dressed up, this show focused on the human side of things and how it was affected by a nuclear meltdown in the 80s. Well paced three parter.

4. Silicon Valley
Final season of the iconic show, Judge has discussed how the tech industry nowadays makes such a show harder to satire. The finale touches on how technology doesn't necessarily make the world a better place like all the startups aspired to in the first season. Thought this season was one of the best all round.

3. The Witcher
As a fan of the games this gets pretty high on my list, but the daring attempt to follow 3 different characters across indeterminate timeframes following the short stories from the books can make this a hard watch for those new to the series. Personally thought they did well enough with Geralt, but the other side plots need more work.

2. The Boys
Like Preacher, another great adaptation of a Garth Ennis novel. Great characters and a compelling plot.

1. The Mandalorian
Have yet to watch the final ep but these guys do a lot at conveying the tone of the OT without much dialog. Baby Yoda.

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I was listing out my reasons, most of it ended up being "it was entertaining" so I didn't bother

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Love being reminded of all these shows that I still need to watch past S1, like Ms Maisel and GLOW, and Undone looks v. interesting. At a time when I thought I was all out of shows to watch as well