Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

10. The Mandalorian (S1) - “Word is he still has the target with him. Some say it’s a child.”
Honestly I don’t even like Star Wars much but I cannot deny the cultural contribution that Baby Yoda has given us. I would die for this wrinkly green 50 year old Ikea monkey lookin' rear end.

https://twitter.com/nocontextrvd/status/1207024233748017152
9. Riverdale (S4) — “I as your student body president will make sure that he is beheaded by homecoming.”
I’m not going to give this my #1 rating this year because the latter half of season three was more dumb than usual but it will always be in my top ten on account of how it can still make me go “what the gently caress” multiple times a week. A brothel owner orchestrated a Dungeons and Dragons themed murder party and an organ stealing cult leader tried to rocket into space for God's sake!

8. Schitt’s Creek (S5) — “It’s gonna happen, happen sometime, maybe this time I’ll win.”
It’s odd seeing Schitt’s Creek now getting all these accolades and mentions on other end-of-year lists when it’s had better seasons but I’m not mad at it. There’s something harmonious about a show that can have a fanbase in the small-town Canadians that started watching it at the beginning and gay twitter discovering it currently on Netflix. I want Catherine O’Hara to run me over with her car.

7. A Series of Unfortunate Events (S3) — “Is Countie not my daddy anymore?”
Look away, for this is nothing but a terrible, no-good, awful, rotten experience that never got better season after season. The art direction and the production design were a visual treat and paired with the overdramatic actors (a good thing) it was like watching a grandiose stage show.

6. Stranger Things 3“You know what this half-baked plan of yours sounds like to me? Child endangerment.”
I know this is the fast food equivalent of a TV show but this Big Mac really hit the spot this time.

5. Chernobyl (S1) — “Vnimaniye Vnimaniye!”
Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted any and all Chernobyl content inserted into my eyeballs. I watched this production for the disaster itself but I also learned more about the bureaucracy behind the scenes, so I was entertained and got an education too! Episode 3 is the scariest poo poo I’ve ever seen on TV.

4. Watchmen (S1) — “Hey baby, we’re in fuckin’ trouble.”
I waited to post my list to digest this late-in-the-game entry. It wasn’t a matter of ‘if’ this would make the list, just ‘where.’ Watchmen was a show that I was uncomfortably excited for each episode every week and I’ve missed that. After all these years I’m still a fan of Lindelof’s nonlinear storytelling and foreshadowed mysteries (when done right). I’m loosely aware of the source material but I was hooked by the end of episode one realizing Regina King would be the main character and not just in the pilot.

3. Derry Girls (S2) — “What kind of person brings hash scones to a wake?”
Alright, I’ll say it: Derry Girls is the funniest show on TV right now. If it isn’t in your recommended algorithm on Netflix you’re doing something wrong. Also Michelle > James > Orla > Claire > Erin.

2. Attack on Titan (S3 Part 2) — “On the other side of the ocean is freedom. We believed that for so long... but it’s not true.”
After masterfully adapting the worst arc in the manga, Studio Wit was tasked with adapting the best arc—and unsurprisingly pulled it off. The Battle of Shiganshina is beautifully animated, well-acted, and emotionally resonant with one of the best soundtracks I’ve ever heard.

1. Broad City (S5) — “I may be a dumb white bitch but I’m not that dumb.”
I’m going to miss Broad City so much. This may be more of a legacy placement because the show shaped my sense of humour so much, but the final season was still strong. It shaped its surreal NYC situations with the emotional thread about finding yourself and maintaining friendships along the way. This season was obviously shaped by Abbi Jacobson’s experiences as an artist and discovering her bisexuality but Ilana Glaser is the sun that this season orbits. She laid all her talent out and I cried and laughed when she cried and laughed. Goodbye my kweens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Claire Saffitz is more powerful than network tv.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thanks for crunching the numbers! I always enjoy this thread each year.

I'm surprised The Witcher landed that high? Not that it's bad I just didn't have the time to binge it but y'all pulled through.