Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure it wasn't a shamrock?

Al Franken should have never resigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Chloe Fineman: Still Exists

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
#SantaKnew

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
That's one hell of a lineup on that stage

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

pwn posted:

Chloe Fineman: Still Exists

SNL hires a new mousy white girl every few years and they never last

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Great ep! :five:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Best episode in years. Honestly I can’t think of the last one that even comes close. The expectations were sky high and I say it lived up to it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Spotted David Sheffield’s name in the writing credits, didn’t notice if Barry Blaustein was in there too. They were a team during the Eddie years and no doubt were brought back at his request. They also wrote the Coming to America and Nutty Professor films

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

Best episode in years. Honestly I can’t think of the last one that even comes close. The expectations were sky high and I say it lived up to it.

I can't remember the last time they so heavily used the guest star too.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Eddie Murphy owns, Lizzo, owns, what an incredible episode to end the decade.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can't remember the last time they so heavily used the guest star too.

Well they did with Sandler, which was a good show as well but didn’t knock it out of the park like this did.

The issue with the Sandler episode in retrospect is there wasn’t enough of Sandler doing stuff from the past and he was trying fit in with the current cast and writing. While it was good, especially him doing the Farley song at the end, they didn’t really use him to the best extent or his abilities.

Eddie on the other hand knew what was at stake and knew exactly what people were expecting. It seems like he got his guys to help write which helped a ton. Most of his stuff was taking the well known/loved stuff from the past and updating it. I especially liked how with both Gumby and Velvet Jones (who I was convince there was no way they could do now. Proven wrong.) were used to help evaluate other cast members.

Eddie is such a larger than life figure, he was that way in the 80s on the show, that he is well aware how easily he can overshadow everyone else. In some ways you can’t stop it but he did his best to try and give some sunlight to others.

The only bad part of the episode was the Cold Open really. It was likely the only part that was done entirely by the current writing staff. There was a noticeable huge difference in the writing between that and the rest of the episode.

The only bad thing is this is such a high point it will make the rest of the season that much harder to watch if things continue to be as bad as they have been.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shneak posted:

Eddie Murphy owns, Lizzo, owns, what an incredible episode to end the decade.

:emptyquote:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Man, what a great episode!

Unrelated, but does anyone know why they stopped doing What Up With That? Did the writers for that leave?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

frogbs posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone know why they stopped doing What Up With That? Did the writers for that leave?

Everyone other than Kennan left the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

frogbs posted:

Totally could have done it tonight, with the guest stars and cameos...but I guess Eddie wasn't down? Or maybe we'll get lucky with a Cut for Time. :sweatdrop:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Totally could have done it tonight, with the guest stars and cameos...but I guess Eddie wasn't down? Or maybe we'll get lucky with a Cut for Time. :sweatdrop:

No Bill Hader... I mean Lindsey Buckingham.

Technically there is no Will Forte or Taran Killam either but you could get someone else to do the announcing part.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1CZ4uCipsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu5LRZhqcM

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

i'm going to blame this on everyone rightfully corpsing during Weekend Update

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That was so so good! When Kate McKinnon showed up in one sketch I remembered that usually she has to carry the show and this week they barely needed her. Eddie could have done that solo.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have the same color Puma Suedes as Mister Robinson

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

jojoinnit posted:

That was so so good! When Kate McKinnon showed up in one sketch I remembered that usually she has to carry the show and this week they barely needed her. Eddie could have done that solo.

He did for a spell in the 80s. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

He did for a spell in the 80s. :v:

I've realised I really need to track down a best of Eddie Murphy on SNL disk. I don't know any of his old sketches except for having heard of them and I absolutely loved everything he brought. Like, I would have been totally fine with just an hour of Gumby riffing against Che.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jojoinnit posted:

I've realised I really need to track down a best of Eddie Murphy on SNL disk. I don't know any of his old sketches except for having heard of them and I absolutely loved everything he brought. Like, I would have been totally fine with just an hour of Gumby riffing against Che.

It's hard to really emphasize how good he was on SNL. He was around 19 years old when he joined the show and loving blew everyone else on the cast away. He's so talented. He was the only reason to watch during those dark years. There's at least one best of Eddie Murphy videos and you absolutely gotta watch it. He loving brought it last night and I was really glad to see him give a poo poo and bring his A-game.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

All of his stuff is on the app as well for free.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

hanales posted:

All of his stuff is on the app as well for free.

Sadly I live in a hellscape of unfreedomness in Europe and the app is region locked. I know I've seen PAL disks of the SNL collections so next time I'm in the UK I'll go a hunting at CEX or similar.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

jojoinnit posted:

White Like Me is my all-time favorite of his.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Youth Decay posted:

White Like Me is my all-time favorite of his.

"Go on. Take it. It's free" cracks me the gently caress up every time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i love that Bill Cosby's rep (there's a job title can't pay enough for what the work requires these days) had to put out a statement criticizing Eddie's comments, it's been 40 years and Bill still doesn't like his filth-flarn-filth. (also gently caress bill cosby a million times over)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did anyone notice Larry David swatting away smoke at the end of the goodbyes as he walked off the front of the stage, presumably from Dave Chapelle’s Black n Mild?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's hard to really emphasize how good he was on SNL. He was around 19 years old when he joined the show and loving blew everyone else on the cast away. He's so talented.

In Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, virtually everyone who is asked, from across all eras of the show, say that he was the most talented SNL cast member ever. That's pretty goddamned impressive given who has been through that studio.

I was hoping for an updated version of one of my favorite Gumby sketches, "Merry Christmas, Dammit!"

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 23, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Did anyone notice Larry David swatting away smoke at the end of the goodbyes as he walked off the front of the stage, presumably from Dave Chapelle’s Black n Mild?
He was smoking American Spirit Perique Blend, but no i hadn’t noticed that!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

In Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, virtually everyone who is asked, from across all eras of the show, say that he was the most talented SNL cast member ever. That's pretty goddamned impressive given who has been through that studio.

I was hoping for an updated version of one of my favorite Gumby sketches, "Merry Christmas, Dammit!"

Am I remembering wrong, or did Eddie get on the show by calling the production offices everyday from a pay phone until they’d let him audition? Like, what are the odds that they gave him a shot, it’s crazy, especially at 19.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Finally, all the Laser Cats in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlu4KhylTfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6PSLfv_vo

And BTS for that great Grouch parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br_Kzvay3Nc

And... whoa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInUTLxGIRk

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

This is great because there is an evolution of weirdness and length of interruptions.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The biggest thing my dad got a kick out of with the "What Up With That" sketches was Jason Sudeikis's curly-haired, jogging-suited dancer character. Something about that weird-looking dude just tickled him.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOV2U_HDA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HAiKX97AZI

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1215103787444031488

a frequent host in the early years

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Close the Five Timers Club in his honor

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RIP Uncle Roy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

There was no Buck Henry tribute in last week’s repeat. Hopefully they acknowledge his passing soon.

First, the final installment of WUWT. There were nine sketches all told, totaling about 66 minutes of What Up With That

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfvLkCa5sJU

And this was just released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWdcyHYD2Y

Eddie never talked to Tom Shales and James Miller for their book Live From New York. He never sat down with Kenneth Bowser for his documentary Lost and Found: SNL in the 80s. Here, Eddie contradicts the written history by Doug Hill and Jeff Weingrad, that Dick Ebersol decided who to fire when he took over Jean’s show. Eddie says it was Ebersol’s Reich Marshall Godhead Chief of Staff, Michael O’ Donoghue, who made the decision on who to fire and, more pertinently, who not to fire.

While the Hill/Weingrad book has bore out many historical inconsistencies over the subsequent decades, I still kind of lean in favour of their version, which was gleaned when this was all recent history, over that of a busy man’s recollections of what happened 37 years prior. I’m inclined to guess that either one or both parties got the exact order of events slightly out-of-order; that Ebersole did indeed do the actual firing but that he did so on O’ Donoghue’s advice; alternatively, it could be Murphy is recalling events accurately and O’ Donoghue was full of poo poo. Hard to say. Dick was the first to admit that he didn’t know poo poo about comedy, and Mr. Mike was definitely, uh, a flamboyant character.

Point is, a bit of hash and good prop prep is the reason we are talking about all of this. Without Eddie, there would likely be no SNL.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 18, 2020