Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

On the one hand, "you don't have to go to college" - Animal Collective. But on the other hand, free college seems good.

Sounds off in the posts below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gas

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
We already do

Oh wait, do you live in America?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
How would they afford the sports?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
If you actually want to be there and are taking something meaningful and in-demand, sure.

If you're the 9000th loser idiot in the 4 year video game development degree program and you're only doing it so your parents don't see you as the disappointment you are, get hosed

My college was free though, because I don't live in America

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like education should be free because a well-educated population is less likely to break into my car and steal my goddamn 80 year old gps (seriously it didn't even have a fuse in the car adapter I just dummied it with the spring out of a pen when it burned out you're going to burn your car down)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Beuloler? Bueller? What country do you think this is?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band. Get 6 or 7 roommates. Eat hummus with them. Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves. Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hells yeah, education eradicates poverty

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ad by Khad posted:

If you actually want to be there and are taking something meaningful and in-demand, sure.

If you're the 900, 000th loser idiot in the 4 year video game development degree program and you're only doing it so your parents don't see you as the disappointment you are, get hosed

My college was free though, because I don't live in America

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Every nation is in competition for resources and knowledgeable people is one of those. So yes.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
College makes you look good, it's a resume builder, a very expensive one at that. 18 year olds shouldn't be setting high expectations for their future at their age. They come out of college and expect the world to embrace them. Get a job, first, go to college second. That's my opinion anyway.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Hell yeah. Couldn't afford college, still can't.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Yes, along with basic shelter, decent food, and compassionate healthcare.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah it's a neoliberal lie that college leads to better lives. We need welfare state first and offer/incentivize training in needed vocations second.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
college is dumb so no but now i'm listening to Sung Tongs so... yes???

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
By 'free' do you mean I, the tax payer, pays for 200 text books and 200,000/yr professors :mad:

Or that the budget is re-done so that we don't get taxed any more but maybe buy less missiles

I'll go for the 2nd

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My undergrad education was free because my family was poor and I also had good grades, but because I decided to educate myself even further and go to vet school I still ended up with a depressing amount of debt. It really sucks especially because now I'm not really happy with my job and it will be hard for me to do something else because of debt. My payments would go down because I would use income based repayment. Without the IBR my payments would be like $1000 a month. So... Yes

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Stark Fist posted:

college is dumb so no but now i'm listening to Sung Tongs so... yes???

I agree that college is dumb but it should still be free

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah it's a neoliberal lie that college leads to better lives. We need welfare state first and offer/incentivize training in needed vocations second.

I'm not saying college shouldn't be an incentive. I don't however think most 18 year olds should be hopping in right away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ya but only for history and literature majors

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Chinatown posted:

ya but only for history and literature majors

unironically agree.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

zaepg posted:

I'm not saying college shouldn't be an incentive. I don't however think most 18 year olds should be hopping in right away.

Agreed I've done it and it was among the biggest mistakes of my life.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I think the cultural pressure to go in straight after high school kind of sucks. Experiencing working life first might have changed what I ultimately ended up doing, hopefully for the better. Then again maybe it wouldn't but at least I would have been more mature and understood more about how the world really works, before deciding what I wanted to do for the rest of my life...

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zaepg posted:

Strongly agree here, I think every 18 year old should have to do a retail or other service industry job 'tour of duty' for at least two years. Then allow them to go to college free after that. It would go a long way to build solidarity among working people and students.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
no. if the poor have an accessible path to higher education (or for that matter a secure future) it will be harder to herd them into prisons and the military, where their blood is needed to grease the cogs of diabolical engines of profit. furthermore, an educated populace forms a bulwark against tyranny, introducing unwanted challenges to both the intermingling of government with capital and making it harder for the already dwindling surplus defense spending to lead to the increased militarization of the police, both of which in turn would make it harder to suppress challenges to existing systems of oppression and control across the board
the systems are all interconnected and if you disrupt one people are liable to think that things don't necessarily have to be as bad as they are, which will eventually make it slightly more difficult for a hardworking inheritor of existing wealth and privilege like me to get more toys than any human being in history for absolutely no reason and then hoard them until I die

what is that squeaking sound
what's that you're wheeling out
some kind of large wooden arch with a metal blade inside?

see this is the kind of unproductive pie in the sky nonsense the loony left wastes their time on, putting my head in a hole underneath this lousy metal blade, what is that even supposed to accompl

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Cubone posted:

see this is the kind of unproductive pie in the sky nonsense the loony left wastes their time on, putting my head in a hole underneath this lousy metal blade, what is that even supposed to accompl
:discourse:

See my avatar text.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I go to a technical college for free so long as my grades are good and my performance at my job is satisfactory.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cubone posted:

no. if the poor have an accessible path to higher education (or for that matter a secure future) it will be harder to herd them into prisons and the military, where their blood is needed to grease the cogs of diabolical engines of profit. furthermore, an educated populace forms a bulwark against tyranny, introducing unwanted challenges to both the intermingling of government with capital and making it harder for the already dwindling surplus defense spending to lead to the increased militarization of the police, both of which in turn would make it harder to suppress challenges to existing systems of oppression and control across the board
the systems are all interconnected and if you disrupt one people are liable to think that things don't necessarily have to be as bad as they are, which will eventually make it slightly more difficult for a hardworking inheritor of existing wealth and privilege like me to get more toys than any human being in history for absolutely no reason and then hoard them until I die

what is that squeaking sound
what's that you're wheeling out
some kind of large wooden arch with a metal blade inside?

:five:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

College should be free if you go to a community college, state school, or vocational program. Private universities can charge whatever they want

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

QuarkJets posted:

College should be free if you go to a community college, state school, or vocational program. Private universities can charge whatever they want
This seems reasonable but one thing that needs to change is student loan debt needs to be dischargable via bankruptcy.

If we're going to live in a scamocracy (and we are), everyone should be given an equal, fair chance to scam one another.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

We should all have free college but you, op, should not.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gonna have to feed ALOT of people to the guillotine first

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Strongly agree here, I think every 18 year old should have to do a retail or other service industry job 'tour of duty' for at least two years. Then allow them to go to college free after that. It would go a long way to build solidarity among working people and students.

Walmart would love mandatory conscription to minimum wage unskilled menial labour. With such an oversupply of workers walmart could probably even classify them as college-initiates or something and therefore minimum wage does not apply to them since they aren't really employees.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 8, 2019

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
My parents already paid for my college so I don't think I should be punished by having to pay for someone else's education.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Methanar posted:

Walmart would love mandatory conscription to minimum wage unskilled menial labour
Well, also minimum wage should be pegged to some combination of inflation and consumer price index.

Three Olives posted:

My parents already paid for my college so I don't think I should be punished by having to pay for someone else's education.
Ok boomer.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

What if their education leads to them being your doctor? And if you didn't help pay for that person's education you got a lovely doctor and they made you die huh what about that??

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Three Olives posted:

I know you're doing this just to troll but I'm gonna touch poop. gently caress you Three Olives. You're a vile human being.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Dixville posted:

What if their education leads to them being your doctor? And if you didn't help pay for that person's education you got a lovely doctor and they made you die huh what about that??

Idk what if they take art classes, drop out and become next Hitler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Only clown college, the electoral college, and collages that are labelled slightly wrong.