Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is the tanning one even that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm still cracking up intermittently throughout the day thinking about dude doing a loving Swedish Chef impression.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
In the realm of entertaining weirdos, there’s Rickey Henderson.

quote:

In the early 1980s, the Oakland A’s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house.

quote:

Rickey struck out and as the next batter was walking past him, he heard Henderson say, “Don’t worry, Rickey, you’re still the best.”

quote:

In the last week of his lone season with the Red Sox, Chairman Tom Werner asked Henderson what he would like for his ‘going-away’ gift. Henderson said he wasn’t going anywhere, but he would like owner John Henry’s Mercedes. Werner said it would be tough to get the same make and model in less than a week and Henderson said, “No, I want his car.” Turns out the Sox got Henderson a Red Thunderbird and when he saw it on the field before the last game of the season, Rickey said, “Whose ugly car is on the field?”

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

echopapa posted:

In the realm of entertaining weirdos, there’s Rickey Henderson.

He played forever also. Much respect for this weird warrior.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks to whoever suggested the crime in sports podcast, I'm digging it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Matt Hughes (ufc fighter) wrote an autobiography that is just purestrain assholery. There's a chapter by chapter summary here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900758&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post498994155

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Applewhite posted:

Who was the sports guy that punished his son’s balls with a switch? Probably that guy, OP.

adrian peterson, i had forgotten about that.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is the tanning one even that bad?

idk is casual racism bad or funny to you?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I came into the thread to post about A-Rod or Curt Schilling, but after reading these other stories, never mind.

Curt Schilling has a pretty good case tho! If not for the level of offense then just through sheer balls-out hypocrisy.

After he bankrupted the state of Rhode Island failing to make a bad video game, he still has the lack of wit to go on conservative radio and rail against all the money that goes to poor people on welfare.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
It’s fascinating to me this thread is so popular. I mean it’s cool but odd given the dungeons and dragons contingent, etc.

Goons are truly diverse.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s fascinating to me this thread is so popular. I mean it’s cool but odd given the dungeons and dragons contingent, etc.

Goons are truly diverse.

Sports are just fantasy heros and villains you get to see in real life

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
professional athletes are what happens when you min-max your character

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ponderous Saxon posted:

professional athletes are what happens when you min-max your character

Max out luck, charisma is a dump stat apparently.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

snergle posted:

idk is casual racism bad or funny to you?

Can you break down how it's racist?

Even if it's being an rear end in a top hat because it's something they likely don't need, it's more like giving a quadriplegic a bicycle as a gift.
However black people use tanning beds also, although less frequently than whites.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2019

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Can you break down how it's racist?

Black people use tanning beds also, although less frequently than whites.

I'm pretty sure the joke is "haha you get it you already have a tan"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tongues posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is "haha you get it you already have a tan"

Ya I understand it, it just doesn't seem racist to me.

The "joke" works if you gave it to one of those old white people that are more leather than man.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Ya I understand it, it just doesn't seem racist to me.

The "joke" works if you gave it to one of those old white people that are more leather than man.

Its a racist joke because the person's race is the target of fun - it only works because the target is black. If the person isn't black, the joke makes no sense. If you're making a joke at someone's expense and that joke is that someone is black and that's what makes the joke work, it's a racist joke. We don't need to deconstruct this and work out how to craft a perfect joke, it's just the equivalent of a person seeing an ad for a tanning salon and turning to their black-skinned friend and saying "you wouldn't need that now would you!"

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Not every joke that involves race is racist. The sentiment behind it makes a big difference, and without knowing more about their relationship, it's impossible to judge. It could definitely have been done in a hurtful, racist way, or it could have just been a joke between friends. Me and some of my Mexican friends have made similar jokes about sunscreen with one another, usually initiated by my buddies. (I'm a super pale ginger that needs to wear sunscreen a lot, for context)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean it could have been an "ohh, youuuu" hands on hips gag kind of joke but given the other stuff on that list it's a reasonable thing to doubt imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 22, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

drat MJ is a piece of poo poo.

Meanwhile LeBron opened up a school and gave a bunch of at-risk kids free education and supplies, he seems to have Jordan beat every which way.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

MJ was one of the key causes behind the recent lock out because he refused to give the players a greater revenue share

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kazak posted:

Meanwhile LeBron opened up a school and gave a bunch of at-risk kids free education and supplies, he seems to have Jordan beat every which way.

This is also relatively recent behavior among athletes because, presumably, MJ et al were HUGE republicans. I think nowadays a good chunk of athletes try to do right by the people around them.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Kazak posted:

Yeah but he doesn't support are fat orange president so...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

When I was really young my dad told me a bedtime story about a kid that found a wallet full of money and instead of spending it turned it in to the police.

Turns out it was Michael Jordan's and he was so impressed with the honesty he built their school a pro court and donated a bunch of money.

Now I'm pretty sure if that happened he'd have that kid cuffed in the back of a police car while he forces the dad to play 1 on 1 at gunpoint.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Michael Jordan’s wife also sucks. Their daughter went to Syracuse and a couple friends of mine work for one of those student moving/storage companies.

So when students leave for the summer they pay them to hold their stuff in a warehouse until they come back at the end of summer.

So MJs daughter had a set up with 4 dorm rooms. It sounds like she had a living room, bedroom and 2 closets. But dorm room sized. They said one room had atleaset 100 boxes of shoes in it.

After 3 guys spent an entire day loading her poo poo onto a truck to put in storage for the summer they give MJs wife the paperwork to sign. She handed them back 3 $5 bills for a tip.

She married the richest athlete of all time. And the most she could be bothered to tip someone responsible for tens of thousands of property is what you’d give a delivery driver for driving 2 miles.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yeah but he doesn't support are fat orange president so...

Who, MJ or KJ? I remember James called him a bum and Jordan backed him up?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The 1890s Baltimore Orioles were an entire team of assholes.

quote:

They hid extra balls in the outfield, which they sneaked into play when a hit got past them.

Before games, they would sit on a bench outside the visitors' dressing room, filing their spikes and glaring at their opponents as they emerged.

Crouching behind home plate, Robby casually would drop pebbles into the shoes of unsuspecting batters, to slow them down.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
The Midnight Terrors started as a street gang that thought baseball sounded really neat but couldn't play without uniforms. Since no one wanted to sponsor a street gang, they paid for their uniforms with muggings and robberies. They sharpened their cleats to injure opponents when they "accidentally" stepped on their feet or slid into basemen. Anyone who wasn't on the field went into the stands to pickpocket the spectators. Their season ended permanently when they all got arrested and sent to jail.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fantastic Flyer posted:

The Midnight Terrors started as a street gang that thought baseball sounded really neat but couldn't play without uniforms. Since no one wanted to sponsor a street gang, they paid for their uniforms with muggings and robberies. They sharpened their cleats to injure opponents when they "accidentally" stepped on their feet or slid into basemen. Anyone who wasn't on the field went into the stands to pickpocket the spectators. Their season ended permanently when they all got arrested and sent to jail.

that owns

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Day Man posted:

Not every joke that involves race is racist. The sentiment behind it makes a big difference, and without knowing more about their relationship, it's impossible to judge. It could definitely have been done in a hurtful, racist way, or it could have just been a joke between friends. Me and some of my Mexican friends have made similar jokes about sunscreen with one another, usually initiated by my buddies. (I'm a super pale ginger that needs to wear sunscreen a lot, for context)

casual racism isnt done with intent to harm but can and often does. its done because hey its just a joke or because you dont stop and think about your prejudices. an example is crossing the street because you see a minority walking towards you you dont personally hate that minority but you unconciously think they are more likely to commit crime. another is buying your black team mate a life time of tanning bed vists. you dont hate your team mate but you think its funny he is different.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Kazak posted:

Who, MJ or KJ? I remember James called him a bum and Jordan backed him up?

LBJ. Sorry, I spend too much time in the lol Trump thread.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Enough dissertation about racism, who’s a lovely sports guy/gal?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

All of Albert Belle's former teammates agree that Albert Belle was a very good baseball man and also a notorious rear end in a top hat. One funny thing he did tho was

quote:

Belle was suspended in 1994 for using a corked bat, and gained further notoriety for sending teammate Jason Grimsley through the building's ceiling panel to break into the locked umpires' dressing room to retrieve his corked bat and substitute it with another teammate's bat, resulting in a seven-game suspension. The revelation of Belle's use of corked bats was given more emphasis when Cleveland teammate Omar Vizquel wrote in his autobiography that it would be naive to suggest otherwise and that "all of Albert's bats were corked."[10]

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
This is quite meta but the crimes in sports podcast was really good until I heard them talk about Australian sports, they really revel in their ignorance about incredibly simple poo poo. Its hard to trust any of their research when it's clear that they did gently caress all of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to his sex crimes, Peyton Manning once threw Jay Culters into a pool with his blood glucose monitor requiring jay to get an emergency replacement.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

In addition to his sex crimes, Peyton Manning once threw Jay Culters into a pool with his blood glucose monitor requiring jay to get an emergency replacement.

is this when cutler played for the dolphins, cuz if so peyton manning might have just been really confused

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Barudak posted:

Peyton did sex crimes?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

Peyton did sex crimes?

Yeah, back when he was at Tennessee he put his nuts on a female athletic trainer's face when she was examining his foot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Extra Large Marge posted:

Yeah, back when he was at Tennessee he put his nuts on a female athletic trainer's face when she was examining his foot.

He also lost over it twice, so not only is he a sex crimer, hes a poor loser over being a sex crimer

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

Jamis "gently caress HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY" Winston

Jameis "Who wants to eat a W?" Winston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L2p9fldkZ0

The cringe is strong with this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
To add on to Michael Jordan, it's worth listening to Chamillionaire's Jordan story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow