Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are any of those goodon playstayion

the doom and command & conquer ports are good. doom especially owns because it has a new soundtrack that's way more atmospheric and creepy than the pc one, better lighting than what was available on pc at the time, and the map selection is huge so between the two games you get almost every level from doom, doom 2, master levels, and final doom as well as the ones made for the jaguar version and a handful of playstation-exclusive maps. c&c is pretty much a straight port from the pc versions but the one that compiles the expansion packs for red alert has a bunch of new cutscenes linking the missions together like a proper c&c game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

There was also a Japan-only port of Ultima Underworld.

oh yeah i was looking at a us game list so i missed this one. weird that it never got a western release

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Alone in the Dark 2 (3?) got a PS1 port, I rented it and didn't like it (had 1 on floppy).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doom PS1 kicks rear end and the Quake II port is shockingly good actually

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
PSXCOM is exactly as irritating as you'd imagine a port of a mouseclicky game to be.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Diablo had a split screen co-op mode which was a blast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Diablo had coop but I don’t think it was split screen. Had to navigate around the same screen if I recall.

There was also a Warcraft 2 port. It was functional, but I wouldn’t call it playable.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Doom PS1 kicks rear end and the Quake II port is shockingly good actually

The Quake II port may be the first FPS that had the now-standard dual analogue controls, unless you count the double controller option in Goldeneye.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Party Boat posted:

The Quake II port may be the first FPS that had the now-standard dual analogue controls, unless you count the double controller option in Goldeneye.

Yeah although I think the sticks may be reversed for look/move compared to the modern layout? It even supports the PS1 mouse lol.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Possibly, I remember it feeling incredibly clunky and unnatural at the time. Still amazing that it ran on the PS1 at all though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sim City 2000 is a very nice port, mostly because it supports the Playstation Mouse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Wizardry VII got a Japan only PSX release, but I'm not sure if it was a port or not. The graphics are considerably different (3D), which leads me to believe it's proooobably built from the ground up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

oh yeah i was looking at a us game list so i missed this one. weird that it never got a western release
The company that did the port primarily translated and converted western PC games to Japanese PCs, so it kinda makes sense from that perspective.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1368237833035673602?s=19

The whole world of Tomba. Nearing completion on a little video about it, one of my favorites on the PS1 and still not many adventure-platformers like it.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Weedle posted:

compiling a list of classic pc games that got playstation ports. not just cross-platform games that were released on pc and ps1 but games most closely associated with the pc that were later ported to ps1. i have no real reason for doing this other than that it is personally satisfying to me
did i miss any notable ones?

Gunship 2000 got a PS1 port. They dropped the 2000 and just called it Gunship.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Electromax posted:

https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1368237833035673602?s=19

The whole world of Tomba. Nearing completion on a little video about it, one of my favorites on the PS1 and still not many adventure-platformers like it.

One of my biggest gamer regrets is selling my old PS1 games for PS2 games when that came out. So many rare and valuable titles, if only i had any idea lol. A couple months ago I picked up a copy of Parasite Eve which I had a long time ago. $50 :smith:. Tomba was pricy as gently caress too last time I checked

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

El Generico posted:

There's a new PS1 emulator called DuckStation that I've heard people praising recently. Aiming to be as accurate as possible while still being fast and playable on lower end boxes.

https://github.com/stenzek/duckstation

Got it but haven't really tried anything on it yet.

I regret to inform you their Discord has a white power emote and the dev is full of great takes like this:

e: how did I miss milkshake duckstation

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 23, 2021

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel similarly about Tomba 2, still have a copy of 1 but 2 was sold long ago and now it's pricey.

Meanwhile I finished Tomba video and the maps were released on VGMaps along with some Vagrant Story ones:
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/index.htm#Tomba
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/index.htm#VagrantStory

Next PS1 game to focus on is the very first PS1 game I had besides demo discs: Tomb Raider!
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1374168338314723338

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I'm playing ps1 lightgun games! Got a crt, a real guncon, and a bunch of games.

Time crisis - it's time crisis and it loving rules. I use the controller on the ground to stomp for exiting cover
Time crisis: project titan - it's time crisis with some tc2 enhancements like multiple hits, combos adding life, and multi cover spots.
Elemental gearbolt - anime and incomprehensible as gently caress, but the levels and music give a very panzer dragoon vibe (if you play it with a controller it basically is...). Light rpg elements to either become stronger or increase your score, I have a lot of fun with this one
Die hard trilogy 2 - DHT 1 doesnt work with the guncon, so i grabbed this one. it's a little wack but basically an area 51 clone. decent death animations when you shoot dudes in the balls.
point blank 2 - this game is hard as poo poo to play on a smaller tv, need to get a bigger crt to really get into it.

gotta get the rest of the guncon compatible games like judge dredd before i move on to saturn, ps2, and dreamcast but i love me a quick 15-20 mins of shooting pixels as a way to unwind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My lack of CRT really hurts me with my lightgun collection, I have all the Time Crisis games (that matter), both G.Con 45 and G.Con 2 and no way of actually playing them properly.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

njsykora posted:

My lack of CRT really hurts me with my lightgun collection, I have all the Time Crisis games (that matter), both G.Con 45 and G.Con 2 and no way of actually playing them properly.

they're surprisingly hard to find. I checked a few local thrift stores and nothing. I ended up using an app called OfferUp to search locally and all the listings were ancient. After trying to get one from 4 different people I snagged a lil 13 inch one (heh). This is a temp fix, if I find anything larger I'm grabbing it immediately.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's about the same size as the old TV my PlayStation was hooked up to back in the day. Point Blank was an instruction as much as it was a title.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember taking my PS1 to a store in Glasgow (the late, lamented G-Force) that installed modchips back in the day. The guy asked me what I was planning on using it for, since there was apparently a bunch of modchips that were better at different things. I said I was intending on getting a bunch of imported US games (that the store also sold), so that was my main priority. The guy winked at me and said 'yeah, sure, I getcha'. I was standing there with copies of Persona 1&2, Chrono Cross and FFT I'd literally just bought and was like, 'no, really.' The guy said I was the first person in about a year who'd got his PS1 chipped to play legit games and usually gave me a nod and a hello whenever I went in after that.

I still have that PS1 (and the copies of Persona 1&2). I still have a decent number of the games I imported way back when as well. My library isn't as big as it used to be - I used to buy and trade rare games and had just about every rare title worth mentioning at one point or another - but I still have a bunch that matter to me.

After The War posted:

PSXCOM is exactly as irritating as you'd imagine a port of a mouseclicky game to be.

They (the original and TFTD were both released on PS1) took up an entire PS1 memory card for saves as well. I think you got maybe five or ten save slots, which, in a game like X-Com, is nowhere near enough. I vaguely remember both games being compatible with the PS1 mouse and I imagine they'd be a hell of a lot more fun/playable with them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
About 6 weeks later, finished a version of all Tomb Raider I maps:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1389209922701778947?s=20

This project has made me appreciate this game a lot more, especially in comparison to other 3D third person action adventures from 1996-1998.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Weedle posted:

did i miss any notable ones?
Transport Tycoon. Holy poo poo do not play the Playstation version of Transport Tycoon. :gonk: Its best feature is that it came with the mouse you could use for better games.

Also Terror From The Deep.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

They (the original and TFTD were both released on PS1) took up an entire PS1 memory card for saves as well.
IIRC it was something like 1 block for a Geoscape save and either 10 or 15 blocks for a Battlescape save. Still not great, but manageable.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

HIGHBROW GAG

HARMFUL PARK

PURE SHOOTING

moller fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 12, 2021

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Vagrant Story maps round II.
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1410952332054089732

Weekend fun is gonna be trying to condense this reverse-engineered goodness:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/914326-vagrant-story/faqs/56772
..into a simpler infographic about "how to play the game."

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm playing Parappa 2 for the first time and it's really good! I'm not sure why I never checked it out earlier considering Parappa and Um Jammer are the best games on the PS1. The story is nonsense but the songs are top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFUootEqM8g

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oops, I didn't realise there was a Playstation thread, and a Playstation 2 thread. Seems somewhat excessive?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Nah, the dedicated PS2 thread is good for all the crazy hardware/homebrew questions about hard drives, frontloaders, softmods, networking, interlacing, and different hard drives that probably bore the poo poo out of people who just want to talk about games.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Although you have reminded me that I've never played Parappa 2, and I should really rectify that!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

After The War posted:

Although you have reminded me that I've never played Parappa 2, and I should really rectify that!

Parappa 2 is Umjammer Lammy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Man, I kind of miss playing that late into the night while any housemates who passed by thought I had absolutely lost my loving mind.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Parappa 2 loving owns and anyone that says differently is a filthy liar

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I posted earlier that I thought the story was a bit too ridiculous for my liking, but then it led to this level which is so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usPkDLjuNeQ

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I mean the first game has a level where you have to rap battle your way to the front of a toilet queue

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh sure, but I think waiting in line for the toilet is a bit more down to earth than having to mobilize the army because someone is turning the worlds food supply into noodles.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Beartaco posted:

Oh sure, but I think waiting in line for the toilet is a bit more down to earth than having to mobilize the army because someone is turning the worlds food supply into noodles.

That entire plot was just an excuse to have someone rap the line ‘slurp it, suck it / we know you all like it’

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

inferis posted:

That entire plot was just an excuse to have someone rap the line ‘slurp it, suck it / we know you all like it’

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does dino Crisis let you save anytime or did it use the typewriter system