Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zophar posted:

Also, excited to follow this thread. Hot take: The PS1 is the greatest console ever made.

It's either the PS1 or the SNES, with nothing else except maybe PS2 even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
N64 was a very distant number 2. Sticking with cartridges limited it massively, which probably explains out of the less than ten good games for it, almost all are first party stuff.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cirus posted:

Coding for the 64 was a nightmare because Nintendo wouldn't allow full documentation access to third parties. Also they patented the use of the C stick for camera control so third parties had to pay a licensing fee for any kind of useable 3D camera. It ended up being way cheaper for third parties to develop on the PS and the Saturn was hot garbage so the choice was easy. The 64 did give us dynamic joystick controls instead of tank movement as well as lock on targeting in 3D. I can't go back to early PS tank platformers.

lol Nintendo was really loving arrogant after the NES/SNES eras

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
N64 being a RPG wasteland was pretty sad, considering all the top tier ones the SNES had

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Yeah. I owned both and the 64 left such a bad impression compared to the NES/SNES era that I didn't buy another Nintendo product until the new 3DS XL.

I ended up with a N64, but second hand in like 2001 or so, and that was purely to play No Mercy and Zelda

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember how the SNES had a shitload of good RPGs and the N64 was the complete opposite, so the Playstation had to pick up the slack

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc M posted:

No, because almost none of them ever came to the PAL region. That was still a problem with the PlayStation (RIP Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross, among others), but at least we got the Final Fantasies even if the PAL conversions were shoddy and FFIX had to be published by Infogrames.

You guys got Terranigma and the US didn't :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

More stories about working as a game reviewer for the magazine please, that was fascinating.

I grew up thinking Nintendo Power was the standard and then got an EGM issue as a gift. Holy cow, I didn’t know reviews could be so scorching and coverage well written. This was the Seanbaby era too.

God, Nintendo Power was terrible for actual reviews

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

There was a period of false starts on SNES and N64, but the final PS1 version of Final Fantasy 7 was apparently developed in a little over a year. A very expensive year, due to all the hiring, outsourcing and CGI hardware purchasing going on, but a little over a year regardless. FF8 took two years, IIRC. I suspect that probably informed the thinking.

FF7 on the SNES might have been interesting

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That actually looks good, but imo, 16bit era sprites have aged way better than PS1 3d, so I might be biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow225 posted:

great answer.

please keep them flowing friends

I don't any titles specifically, but I'm pretty sure a couple of good fighting games never made there way over here