Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

quote:

(December 6, 2019): Art Basel Miami Beach has officially kicked off, with plentiful artworks, limited goods and product launches all rolling out in the Floridian metropolis.

Perhaps the most unusual offering on display is a humble banana, duct-taped to a wall; amazingly, two editions of the produce have sold for $120,000 USD each.

The creative behind the work is 59-year-old Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan. Dubbed Comedian, the creation bears a cheeky resemblance to Andy Warhol’s iconic 1967 pop art fruit.

A first edition for Comedian apparently came from a local Miami supermarket and sold to a French collector for $120,000 USD by Perrotin, an international art gallery, according to Artnet’s site. A second edition sold to another French connoisseur for the same price, while a third edition of the work will reportedly sell for a staggering $150,000 USD. Comedian is currently on display at the Galerie Perrotin booth at the Basel fair.

quote:

UPDATE (December 8, 2019): In a turn of events, a New York-based performance artist named David Datuna has eaten the banana which sold for a whopping $120,000 USD to a French collector earlier this week.

“I can eat the banana and the concept of the banana — because I am an artist and not a regular human.” said the artist.

"I love Maurizio Cattelan artwork and I really love this installation. It’s very delicious."

quote:

The museum's spokesperon Lucien Terras also chimed in: “He did not destroy the work! The banana is the idea.”

It’s unclear at this point what will happen to the sale of the artwork to the French collector.

Update:

Bodyholes posted:

https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/visual-arts/art-basel/article238176479.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREhCSSbzsc

Someone else wrote "Epstein Didn't Kill Himself" on the wall where the $120,000 banana lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
all art people should be shot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

guillotine every art collector

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Icochet posted:

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Icochet posted:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
the concept of a banana

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

r u ready to WALK posted:

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

quote:

a New York-based performance artist...

Murder me and my entire family.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I have a terrible headache after reading this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think this is pretty cool and funny (that a guy ate it, that the artist intended it to be eaten, and that some dumbass tried to buy it)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like you need a little potassium

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
has anyone put a banana in a jar of piss yet?

ill take my millions in cash thanks

spatial trait
Aug 7, 2009

Its all fun and games until a conceptual performance artist comes along and eats the concept of a banana.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You might question whether a banana taped to a wall is art in and of itself, but it's definitely art that some rich dumbass wants to buy it for $120,000, and that some guy just ate it instead.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
So this is all money laundering and tax scams, right?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress this whoke thing is so loving dumb.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

JK Fresco posted:

So this is all money laundering and tax scams, right?

Also sometimes it is an elaborate CIA shell game to con money out of people so they can buy secret guns.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

God modern art is such a con, and it's a con perpetuated only by rich people who decide something is art and is thus deemed worthy to hang in some lovely pretentious gallery. Like any one of us could tape a banana to a wall or do something equally as talentless before this guy, the only reason it became worth so much is likely because the artist had connections in the art world so he's deemed as "legit", it's all a high society game of connections.

Yes guillotine every art collector but paint the guillotine gold, encrust it with diamonds and call it "Irony".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It seems that poor artist just can't catch a break

quote:

(September 14, 2019) Just a few days after it went on view to the public in England, Maurizio Cattelan’s 18-karat golden toilet has gone missing.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Saturday morning, Blenheim Palace said that Cattelan’s America (2016) has been stolen from its current exhibition of the artist’s work, which opened on Thursday and is scheduled to close on October 27. On its website, Blenheim Palace said it was closed for the day, following what it described as an “unforeseen incident.”

Edward Spencer-Churchill, the founder of the Blenheim Art Foundation, which mounted the show, said in a statement, “We are shocked and saddened by this news and are working with the Police to restore the artwork to the exhibition as soon as possible.”

According to NBC News, the toilet is valued at $1 million.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sooo if I take a fistfull of dollar bills, stuff them in the toilet and take a massive poo poo on them, is that art? Cause I got a lot of art in me then

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Whoever actually paid? Wanted to pay? For this “installation” can get hosed, but the actual “art” makes me laugh.

Also if you want to see a bunch of pretentious art-collectors die in brutal ways, I recommend Velvet Buzzsaw on Netflix.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

:( Wish someone would pay me $1million to recycle old jokes from KYTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2zwzQeS1I&t=505s

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It owns actually that you can con rich idiots out of millions of dollars by taping a banana to a wall.

Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxkwRNIZgdY

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Palpek posted:

I mean, we all know that Trump did it. Just add that to the articles of impeachment

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

art critic posted:

What’s Cattelan up to with this work? In 1999, the artist taped the Italian art dealer Massimo De Carlo to the wall of his art gallery. Twenty years later, he’s reprised the work with a single banana, a loaded symbol if ever there was one. For collectors on the hunt for what used to be called "wall power,” they can buy quite a potent image here. (Let’s not dwell on the castration undertone.)

It is an indelible sight, even if you only see it in reproduction. The piece may be a direct reference to the unforgettable (and somewhat annoying) bright-yellow bananas that Thomas Baumgärtel has spray-painted outside select art spaces in Berlin and elsewhere for years. About 10 years ago, Adriana Lara showed a banana peel on the ground as a sculpture, and Darren Bader has displayed fresh fruits and vegetables on pedestals. The Whitney Museum is going to stage that Bader work next month, with staffers regularly chopping the ingredients to make salads.

Few things shock the eye like a banana showing up in an unexpected place.

The purported backstory behind the sculpture is also irresistibly, charmingly bizarre. “Every time he traveled,” Perrotin says in its email, Cattelan “brought a banana with him and hung it in his hotel room to find inspiration.”

There's an environmental undercurrent to the piece as well: many banana species have gone extinct over the past century, and even the Cavendish cultivar that is omnipresent today is at risk because of a fungal disease. Being able to display a banana could one day be a sign of immense power and privilege. (Just as the ultra-wealthy now have private fire departments, perhaps they will soon have well-guarded orchards to produce rare varietals.)

I will admit it: I love the banana, even as it fills me with dread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i can buy a whole bag of old bananas at walmart for 1$. i think art people are idiots

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Few things shock the eye like a banana showing up in an unexpected place.
Someone goatse this person.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Rutibex posted:

i can buy a whole bag of old bananas at walmart for 1$. i think art people are idiots

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The guy taped a banana to the wall and called it Comedian and sold multiple installations of it to idiots and even got a laugh when someone ate one of the bananas.

Capitalism is art.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Mozi posted:

i think this is pretty cool and funny (that a guy ate it, that the artist intended it to be eaten, and that some dumbass tried to buy it)

This is the correct take. The first guy and the last guy are smart and cool, the two dudes in the middle who gave the first guy a quarter of a million dollars for two bananas are rubes, and the other guys would not be cool without their involvement.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

r u ready to WALK posted:

I’ve reconsidered a previous stance, and will now consider funko pops as ‘art’.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this forum is art therefore

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Someone goatse this person.

A printout of goatse, attached to the wall with scotch tape. Estimated value: $500,000

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Tax avoidance is cool 8)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rascallion posted:

Tax avoidance is cool 8)

how you gonna launder money in a eaten banana

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Skypie posted:

A printout of goatse, attached to the wall with scotch tape. Estimated value: $500,000

artist: *eats rear end*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol at all the people trying to get rich quick as YouTube stars when the real money is in taping fruit to walls.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Applewhite posted:

lol at all the people trying to get rich quick as YouTube stars when the real money is in taping fruit to walls.

Is that why you’re suspended from a wall right now?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is that why you’re suspended from a wall right now?

No that’s a different... thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

A gold plated toilet is kind of an apt description of America tbh.