Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hey artist, next time use a plantain you dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3D1UtSSQo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna take a poo poo into a crystal bowl and sell it for $1 million.

It's commentary on the current global geopolitical situation.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm gonna do an artistic performance where I drink and do drugs. The message is don't drink and do drugs.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm going to screenshot everyones reply about how this isn't art then put it them all in an art gallery and name myself R. Mutt.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So, is the "performance artist" a CIA operative?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
It's a stab at a form of DaDa-ism at best.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

"Modern art is stupid crap!" is like the "rap sucks" opinion of the art world. It's people cherry picking poo poo they don't like and then applying a blanket statement across an impossibly broad and variegated medium, kind of how all centrists are centrists because claiming you're above it all is a pretty foolproof (in their mind) stance to take when you're deliberately ignorant as poo poo.

This banana was an obvious joke. Doesn't have poo poo to do with the fucktons of other people creating significantly more traditional and typical works and installations, but that would require going to a local museum with rotating installations and it's easier to fart out moron words on your keyboard to posture than to actually figure out what's going on.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
We've validated irrelvent, as relevent in the art community and that's essentially led to people poo poo-posting in the art community. In my view.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How much cheddar could I get for a masterful replication of that David feller but with a banana slot instead of his laughably tiny penis? I'll even throw in 1 (one) banana!

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Just pay 10$ and shitpost in a dead gay forum instead of doing it in a pretty interesting community of very talented people.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Colonel Cancer posted:

How much cheddar could I get for a masterful replication of that David feller but with a banana slot instead of his laughably tiny penis? I'll even throw in 1 (one) banana!

Alot but it would be real actual cheddar cheese. It will also be art

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm so hungry

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

zaepg posted:

We've validated irrelvent, as relevent in the art community and that's essentially led to people poo poo-posting in the art community. In my view.

poo poo posting can be art.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so when this guy shits out the $120,000 banana will the poo poo be worth more or less than the original art?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Icochet posted:

all art people should be shot

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shut up blegum posted:

No, he bought the concept of a banana taped to the wall.

I don't know what would happen if I tape a banana to the wall in my home, but I guess I'd be sued for copyright infringement somehow??
Would a New York based performance artists consider eating a banana taped to the wall in your home? There's a few other things going on here but I think that's truly the best metric to tell if you have stolen this piece of art work or not.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
better to eat the banana than let it rot stuck to some gallery wall

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what happened to the tape? thats $30,000 worth of art-grade tape

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The cool thing about art is that you can make up whatever you want as the explanation for why it's art. Did the stupid loving banana get eaten? Yeah of course it did that was (retroactively) THE POINT

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I put a banana up my rear end one time but I don’t think I’ve ever put the concept of a banana up my rear end

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

"Modern art is stupid crap!" is like the "rap sucks" opinion of the art world. It's people cherry picking poo poo they don't like and then applying a blanket statement across an impossibly broad and variegated medium, kind of how all centrists are centrists because claiming you're above it all is a pretty foolproof (in their mind) stance to take when you're deliberately ignorant as poo poo.

This banana was an obvious joke. Doesn't have poo poo to do with the fucktons of other people creating significantly more traditional and typical works and installations, but that would require going to a local museum with rotating installations and it's easier to fart out moron words on your keyboard to posture than to actually figure out what's going on.

Yeah, "My kid could've done that" is a pretty cringe worthy statement when you think about it. Its okay if you don't "get" a Rothko but there are plenty of people who do. A lot of it boils down to taste. The "my kid could do that" crowd suggests that the only thing important in art is photographic realism. It's like saying a musician is better because they can play more notes in a shorter period of time. Its how you end up with insufferable turds like Yngvie Malmsteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pontificating rear end posted:

the concept of a banana

The concept of a what?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This work made me Google 'can you preserve a banana indefinitely' and basically no you can't.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

reignofevil posted:

This work made me Google 'can you preserve a banana indefinitely' and basically no you can't.

That's what I'm saying. The guy isn't paying $120,000 for a banana. The banana get replaced. He just paid $120k for a lifetime supply of bananas. As long as he stays near that wall.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Easily one thousand years worth of bananas.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lol at rich assholes getting their gold dunny stolen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I stick the $120,000 banana up my rear end

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alternatively, it was a banana taped to a wall

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm going to hang an apricot from the ceiling.

I'm going to call it "Apricot hanging from the ceiling."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

look man hot dog tha klown is misunderstood okay

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

The_Continental posted:

Yeah, "My kid could've done that" is a pretty cringe worthy statement when you think about it. Its okay if you don't "get" a Yngvie Malmsteen but there are plenty of people who do. A lot of it boils down to taste. The "my kid could do that" crowd suggests that the only thing important in music is it being good. It's like saying an artist is better because they can mix more different shades of red/orange paints in a shorter period of time. Its how you end up with insufferable turds like Rothko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8Tzodb86k

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Icochet posted:

all art people should be shot

This

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I have eaten
the banana
that was duct taped to
the wall

and which
you were probably
adding
to your collection

Forgive me
it was delicious
so provocative
and sold

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

so when this guy shits out the $120,000 banana will the poo poo be worth more or less than the original art?

he should poo poo it out and tape it to the wall

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

The_Continental posted:

Yeah, "My kid could've done that" is a pretty cringe worthy statement when you think about it. Its okay if you don't "get" a Rothko but there are plenty of people who do. A lot of it boils down to taste. The "my kid could do that" crowd suggests that the only thing important in art is photographic realism. It's like saying a musician is better because they can play more notes in a shorter period of time. Its how you end up with insufferable turds like Yngvie Malmsteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

So I looked at this Rothko, I am bad at the art so had never heard his name before.
https://www.moma.org/artists/5047#works

I mean, it is pretty obvious to me which of his paintings is art and which is poo poo.
I think you will see my point and lol at feeling something for the latter.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The absolute saddest poo poo is people who try to defend modern art. No, it's actually cultured and interesting, I know it must be because the rich are into it and told me so! They defy the evidence of their own eyes and minds to insist that yes, actually, the emperor does have clothes.
They don't even get anything out of it, they're just like sad low-level scientologists who aren't in on the joke and honestly try to believe that garbage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about art is that you can just accuse people of "not getting" your stupid poo poo and there's just nothing they can do about it, it's like how if you say some dumb poo poo online you can just say "haha I was trolling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing about art is that you can just accuse people of "not getting" your stupid poo poo and there's just nothing they can do about it, it's like how if you say some dumb poo poo online you can just say "haha I was trolling"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjS6bQ5OQ-o