Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Me irl trying to stem the goons campaign against artistic expression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I mean, yeah. That's what shock art is.

You go to a horror movie to feel scared. You go to shock art to feel whatever an edgelord feels.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Stab posted:

It needs to be a long term investment to be art?

It needs to be a long term investment to justify anybody spending that kind of money on it.

As it is, the buyer might as well have flushed their money down the toilet. Which probably would’ve had more artistic value than buying this “piece” did.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i appreciate scam art

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In the past some of the classic works of art would deteriorate with time and if somebody was to restore them then after the process was finished who could tell how much of the original art was even still present? So a certificate system was put into place that proves what is even being displayed.

This evolved when some parts of newer modern art objects could outright disappear because of some of the natural materials used. Certification confirming what, according to the original artist, could be regularly replaced was put into place.

So now we're in a situation where a famous artist sticks a banana onto a wall with some duct tape and it's officially certified that the wall could be any wall as long as it's white and the banana will rot so it may be replaced with a locally bought one and while you're replacing the banana the duct tape also has to be reapplied. So in the end nothing is left of the original artwork and the only thing that proves that it exists is the signed certificate so yeah, it's just the concept of a banana taped to a wall that got sold for 120k...twice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I. M. Gei posted:

It needs to be a long term investment to justify anybody spending that kind of money on it.

As it is, the buyer might as well have flushed their money down the toilet. Which probably would’ve had more artistic value than buying this “piece” did.

It's funny because what you're doing is analyzing the message of the banana piece except within the context of saying it doesn't have a message.

Yes, the point of the banana is to poke holes at the conception of art. It's a joke. You're just repeating the joke except you hate the banana for some reason.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I mean yeah it makes sense.

You, not an art: "I hate art"
Banana, an art:"I hate art too"
"gently caress you"

You agree with and hate the banana

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Kazak fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 10, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I'll pay you 120000 for this immaculate art

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

look at all of this vivid discussion about art that has resulted from this banana, maybe that is the art right there hmmmmm?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/DatPiff/status/1203864180526219265

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

I mean yeah it makes sense.

You, not an art: "I hate art"
Banana, an art:"I hate art too"
"gently caress you"

You agree with and hate the banana

Yeah you nailed it.It's a piece of fruit taped to a wall. Looks just as great as the marble undine or one of constanble's landscapes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i’m surprised that “modern art” is still the boogeyman term for angry doofuses.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

*idiot pays $120K on a piece of fruit duct-taped to a wall, that other idiots claim is “art”, even though it doesn’t even work as a long-term investment because the fruit is perishable*

“Actually the people criticizing this are the stupid ignorant ones here, furthermore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kazak posted:

For Rothko specifically, he had a powerful religious experience when he painted the works for the same reason his deep fields of color can and will evoke the same feelings in some viewers. When it's divorced from depicting anything recognizable, color takes on a spiritual weight. Just like stepping into a pitch black room you start to feel weightless and unanchored, different colors will elicit strong feelings, if you let them.

James Turrell and Olafur Eliasson are accomplishing something similar with their big installations

This is a fair assessment. I agree that colors and color combinations are very good for evoking specific moods/emotions, we have a whole history of color film to show for it. My post was mostly aimed at the people who point at works like his and say "this is art" without explaining why they feel that way. imo "is this/is this not art" is a pointless argument that will go in circles forever because there is no actual answer. There is no way to qualify whether something is or isn't art because any act of creation meant to elicit emotions is art by definition.

However I feel you can judge an artwork's merit independently from the circular "is it art" debate and imo it comes down to execution + effort required + difficulty of recreation. The banana taped to a wall is so easy to perfectly recreate that they replaced it with another banana, and the execution feels incredibly sloppy because we (the people viewing it) cannot even be sure if it's performance art, or something meant to be a permanent installation, or made just for the hell of it or what. All it has going for it is the conversation surrounding it. And even if that is the point, to stir up the "is it art or not" debate, there are so so many pieces which have done it with better execution. It's the lack of merit that makes it worth mocking, it doesn't deserve to be acknowledged among its peers just because it (potentially) sold for lots of money.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2019

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
behold, regular humans: there are artists in your midst. they haven't eaten

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i appreciate scam art

The scam is the art. Beautiful really

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

This is a fair assessment. I agree that colors and color combinations are very good for evoking specific moods/emotions, we have a whole history of color film to show for it. My post was mostly aimed at the people who point at works like his and say "this is art" without explaining why they feel that way. imo "is this/is this not art" is a pointless argument that will go in circles forever because there is no actual answer. There is no way to qualify whether something is or isn't art because any act of creation meant to elicit emotions is art by definition.

However I feel you can judge an artwork's merit independently from the circular "is it art" debate and imo it comes down to execution + effort required + difficulty of recreation. The banana taped to a wall is so easy to perfectly recreate that they replaced it with another banana, and the execution feels incredibly sloppy because we (the people viewing it) cannot even be sure if it's performance art, or something meant to be a permanent installation, or made just for the hell of it or what. All it has going for it is the conversation surrounding it. And even if that is the point, to stir up the "is it art or not" debate, there are so so many pieces which have done it with better execution. It's the lack of merit that makes it worth mocking, it doesn't deserve to be acknowledged among its peers just because it (potentially) sold for lots of money.

Okay check out how funny this is (nobody will get it.). First I make a passing reference to R. Mutt and then ask, "Why do you have this point of view? Who gave it to you?"

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Do try to actually go to the MoMA you goony goons.

Plenty of poo poo to lol at and that's okay, but I also guarantee that if you've never seen any value in the poo poo, the Rothko gallery will teach you something.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Even if you think the banana is genius because it's showing that art is bullshit and they'll put anything in a gallery if you are famous, that's just Duchamp's urinal again.
At least Duchamp got a bunch of art critic morons to legitimately claim a urinal looks like the virgin mary. This thing brings nothing new to the table

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DrHammond posted:

Plenty of poo poo to lol at and that's okay, but I also guarantee that if you've never seen any value in the poo poo, the Rothko gallery will teach you something.

Lol na.
And gently caress you for telling me what is and isn't of intellectual value to me.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Palpek posted:

In the past some of the classic works of art would deteriorate with time and if somebody was to restore them then after the process was finished who could tell how much of the original art was even still present? So a certificate system was put into place that proves what is even being displayed.

This evolved when some parts of newer modern art objects could outright disappear because of some of the natural materials used. Certification confirming what, according to the original artist, could be regularly replaced was put into place.

So now we're in a situation where a famous artist sticks a banana onto a wall with some duct tape and it's officially certified that the wall could be any wall as long as it's white and the banana will rot so it may be replaced with a locally bought one and while you're replacing the banana the duct tape also has to be reapplied. So in the end nothing is left of the original artwork and the only thing that proves that it exists is the signed certificate so yeah, it's just the concept of a banana taped to a wall that got sold for 120k...twice.

seems more like he licensed it than sold it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"that's just scribles on a wall? Well this sonic the hedgehog fanart is just a dead tree with pencil shavings and my semen on it" :smugbert:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hell yeah Alan. No one tells YOU where to blast a load. That's true art appreciation

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dadaism proves to be stronger than pathetic wall banana.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DrHammond posted:

Yeah everyone should checkout MoMas if they live in a major city: SF, nyc, Chicago, la, etc all have good ones and even smaller cities usually have something. A lot of those “lmao my kid could do that!!!” art admittingly does look like absolutely lazy effortless trash on a screen but much better and actually impressive in person, esp Rothkos; it might not apply to every piece but generally so. A lot of modern art exhibits are actually really good in person, and even though I’m usually not super into modern art I always enjoy going and lmaoing at stuff I think is stupid and being impressed by other stuff

I’ll mostly agree with CJacobs post that is it art is thoroughly pointless and any art that tried to ask the viewer that question has already been done to death and passé and even pointing that out itself so in a giant oroborous eating its own rear end

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

So what you're saying, if you don't mind this very apt analogy, is that if you find a piece of poo poo on the road you might shrug and be disgusted but when you drop a big one in your own bathroom and witness it up close suddenly everyone gotta see it?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No it's like when you see a pointless "piece of art" produced for shock value or that has no other intrinsic worth and dislike it, then produce one of your own of the same middling quality, or worse, and expect acclaim from others. No wait I did that wrong

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The pieces don't matter. Sometimes the fuckers are really loving lazy like with this banana. The price was set before it was taped to the wall.

They're laughing at the working class.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

milkingmycow posted:

The pieces don't matter. Sometimes the fuckers are really loving lazy like with this banana. The price was set before it was taped to the wall.

They're laughing at the working class.

I bet if anyone other than a "performance artist" ate the banana off the wall they would have been arrested for vandalism.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Honey I can explain! I wasn't sucking his dick, I inhaled the concept of dickness. Totally different

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
When I see the banana taped to a wall, I like it. It surprises me to see a banana taped to a wall. I have never seen a banana there before. The silver gray of the duct tape brings out the yellow of the banana. I think about bananas. I think about duct tape. The curve of the banana pleases me. The straight edges of the tape. I imagine peeling the banana from the wall, then peeling the banana. I consider the process that created the banana, the duct tape.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

cda posted:

When I see the banana taped to a wall, I like it. It surprises me to see a banana taped to a wall. I have never seen a banana there before. The silver gray of the duct tape brings out the yellow of the banana. I think about bananas. I think about duct tape. The curve of the banana pleases me. The straight edges of the tape. I imagine peeling the banana from the wall, then peeling the banana. I consider the process that created the banana, the duct tape.

Truly, the consumption of art is a wholly intellectual process only for intellects of high intelligence

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My house wouldn't sell. My grandma was a hoarder. Dirty adult diapers stuffed in the closet. Broken plumbing I couldn't afford to fix. The foundation was cracked. The roof was leaking. The neighborhood was pretty bad and I got mugged twice a year on the way home from work. So I taped a banana to the wall. Sold the next day.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Wall Banana has entered the Visual Lexicon

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

super sweet best pal posted:

Dadaism proves to be stronger than pathetic wall banana.

Real Talk: Dadaism was one of the worst movements or events of any kind in human history, possibly even worse than Nazis, don’t @ me

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Here’s some actual art that fuckin owns tho

https://twitter.com/popeyeschicken/status/1203140095005605888

Popeye’s owns and this has 1000x more artistic value than that dumb banana and at least 95% of all other modern art combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Thats just a soulless attempt to cash out on a recent meme -waaaait for it! That's art!