Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I want to read the Gospels but the tiny king james versions I got from the dollar tree sucks and I hate reading it. I'm thinking of trying one of the really heavy paraphrase translations like the message, but maybe something less far along that spectrum too. i want something ill actually enjoy reading and not a difficult slog.

what I'm considering at the moment -

contemporary english version
new international version
new international readers version
the message

thanks in advance :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
I read the English Standard Version ESV it's the only version that doesn't annoy me with all that archaic nonsense.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Read the Ethiopian bible, it still has Enoch who is the Christian version of John Wick

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I have a Man’s NIV bible with little asides about being a better man. I’m pretty sure it’s a veiled insult gift from my wife, so I stick to reading books about the Mafia and the Nazis.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You want New American Bible or the Jerusalem Bible. Please note, the New American Bible Revised Edition and Revised New Jerusalem Bible should be avoided as neither has received the official approval of any Council of Bishops which is obviously what you need or is it really even a Bible? Either way, you'll get the OT, NT, and the DLC packs bundled together while if you buy the Protestant Edition bundle you will just get the OT and NT without patch notes.

Alternately, use the translation from Robert Barker and Martin Lucas known as the "Wicked Bible" which had one of the commandments translated as "Thou shalt commit adultery"

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They also make emoji bibles and bibles with hip cool asides in it and talks about like, skateboarding and radical stuff if you like your difficult to read books made even worse.

Also do consider getting a copy of the Quran to go with it, and while obviously the American classic option is to go with George Sales translation as it is the one used to officially swear in the first Muslim congressperson and was Thomas Jefferson's personal translation, I'm a fan of The Holy Qur'an: Translation and Commentary by Abdullah Yusuf Ali because a) its really good b) it includes commentary on the passages which are quite interesting and provide contextual information you might be missing c) isn't the version created and espoused by the Saudi government

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Read the satanic bible.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Read the satanic bible.

it's a quick read and a good laugh. it's basically ayn rand + magic

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Just learn Koine Greek and read the original texts. Translations are for nerds.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You should read the original German version.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
You stick with the King James Bible, OP, you idiot. Everyone knows that. It's the only real Bible, all the other ones are corrupted by Satan.

Just make sure you also read his Daemonologie to give it context. You really have to know the ins and outs of Necromancy and how Demons and Fairies work.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

poverty goat posted:

it's a quick read and a good laugh. it's basically ayn rand + magic

Uh oh someone's getting hexed

Windows 10 Bible might be more up your tree oo

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Is there a manga version?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honestly, the New American Bible is pretty solid.
It's the only translation approved for Holy Roman Mass in the US as well as Episcopalian services.

It is quite literary and verbatim however, so it's a bit dry. It's a beefy boy tho if you're into that kind of thing.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I read Chicken Soup for the Christian's Soul!

Loved it!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

blatman posted:

Read the Ethiopian bible, it still has Enoch who is the Christian version of John Wick

He wears blue jeans

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the jerusalem bible seems interesting, I'll have to consider that one. new american bible seems like exactly what i dont want.

ill consider a quran too. im going to eat blts with my mom then buy a bible so pray for me

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Everything according to Pooh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I thought the King James Bible was all bullshit? I don't think you should read the Bible, you should just be a good person

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The Rick James Bible

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Satanic

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
read the tijuana bibles

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Bible According To Spike Milligan is the definitive English version, although you cannot truly appreciate The Bible until you have read it in the original Klingon.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

interwhat posted:

I thought the King James Bible was all bullshit? I don't think you should read the Bible, you should just be a good person

but without the bible how will you know what a good person is?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Doesnt matter they all burn pretty good.

That being said the King James version made me an atheist so maybe start there

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
The Message is good

NIV is deece

Jefferson is the rat rodded new testament and it’s the only one I’ll read recreationally

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I prefer the Club Mix, but some people do the Radio Edit.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Just lol of your bible isnt the volgate.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

zaepg posted:

I prefer the Club Mix, but some people do the Radio Edit.

What would the Bible equivalent be for that one remix that sounds nothing like the original and goes on for like 5 times as long?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Read the Bible for dummies.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Don't read any bible. Both the OT and NT are deceptive doctrines, perpetuated by the servants of archons to further to goals of Yaldabaoth. Read the Nag Hammadi instead.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Green's Literal Translation. It is the only translation for the thinking man who is too busy to learn ancient Hebrew.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

What would the Bible equivalent be for that one remix that sounds nothing like the original and goes on for like 5 times as long?

"Fire that monk transcriber and hire a new one."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
do something productive instead OP

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Spoiler alert: Jesus fakes his own death

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The Holy Bizzible

https://www.amazon.com/Tha-Holy-Bibizzle-Neffew-Moses/dp/1544259158

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Barudak posted:

You want New American Bible or the Jerusalem Bible. Please note, the New American Bible Revised Edition and Revised New Jerusalem Bible should be avoided as neither has received the official approval of any Council of Bishops which is obviously what you need or is it really even a Bible? Either way, you'll get the OT, NT, and the DLC packs bundled together while if you buy the Protestant Edition bundle you will just get the OT and NT without patch notes.

Alternately, use the translation from Robert Barker and Martin Lucas known as the "Wicked Bible" which had one of the commandments translated as "Thou shalt commit adultery"

Yea they loving do