Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

10. Code Vein - A pretty darn good souls-like. Extremely anime in every way, which is fine with me. Super encourages trying out different builds. Solid gameplay. Marred by some lovely environment and level design (the cathedral is godawful) and basically zero replay value. Otherwise, a great time!

9. Islanders - One of the chillest games I've ever come across, especially considering it's a city builder. Extremely low-intensity game, perfect for passing the time, and yet surprisingly addictive as you try to shoot for the high scores and hunt for the absolute perfect place to plop down that tavern.

8. Eviternity - Does this count? It's a Doom WAD released in the last year and it's utterly phenomenal. Perfect level design, amazing new textures, excellent new monsters, just fantastic flow from one environment to the next. The levels are huge and detailed without being slogs, the fight design is an excellent challenge; overall, one of the best Doom WADs I've ever played, and I've played almost all of them.

7. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Came out of absolutely nowhere for me, but from the first second I was enthralled. The aesthetic, the colors, the music, Queen Latifah's amazing narration, all wrapped around a very solid rhythm game with some of the neatest gimmicks I've encountered. The Switch version is fantastic; please don't sleep on this, it's worth your time.

6. Dragon Quest XI S - It's Dragon Quest! It's great! Everyone's already played this but I'm new to it and still only like halfway through (if even that) but it's fantastic! Great to look at, great to listen to, extremely basic but extremely solid JRPG gameplay; it's the equivalent of videogame comfort food, and I couldn't possibly ask for more. Having it on the Switch and letting me play it whenever just makes it all the more perfect. Plus, Jade is my wife and I'm going to marry her.

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Edelgard is my other wife and I'm going to marry her too. I never played any of the pre-anime Fire Emblems, so this sort of game is all I know, and I'm absolutely here for it. The time management stuff was a neat addition, the combat is as satisfying as ever, the overall plot is fine but kind of stretched out, but it was the character writing that kept me glued to my Switch for god knows how many hours. The interactions were great, the end cards showing everyone's fates were largely heartwarming, and I got to gay marry Edelgard and so the game is perfect.

4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I love metroidvanias; specifically the 'vania part. The abandonment of Castlevania by the coward Konami is one of the great gaming injustices, but Bloodstained made everything right again. The exploration was spot on, movement felt great, all the cool powers opened things up just the way you wanted. Bosses were a little easy, and the quests just kind of went on and on, and there were a couple spots of progression that weren't clear, but the sheer number of secrets and easter eggs packed into an extremely solid game ensured its spot high on my list.

3. FFXIV Shadowbringers - Shadowbringers has, without a doubt, the best story in the entire Final Fantasy series, possibly out of all JRPGs. It's remarkably self-contained, it keeps a solid sense of pacing and momentum, it has one of the best and most relatable antagonists I've ever seen in Emet-Selch, and it helps that the gameplay, while more of the same XIV stuff, continues to improve. The fight design in the dungeons has only gotten better, the new classes are fine at best, but it's really the story of this that will keep it relevant for years to come. Too bad you have to play hundreds of hours of less good -- but still good! -- MMO to get here, otherwise it would be much easier to recommend.

2. Dusk - Dusk is a game that was made for me. The environment progression from rusty metal to blood-filled machines to fortresses in the sky to a Lovecraftian descent is amazing, and has some of the best level design in a video game. Flat out ever. The combat is incredibly fast and fluid, the weaponry varied and powerful (especially the cool loving crossbow and the dual shotguns), the enemies suitably terrifying despite having such a low poly count. Everything about this game seems to be made specifically to appeal to me, and I thought for the whole year it would be my number one, until ...

1. AI: The Somnium Files - Uchikoshi successfully grabbed me for his latest wild ride, and it easily blows the entire Zero Escape trilogy out of the water. No longer constrained by the death game setup, he puts together a fantastic murder mystery with all of the standard Uchikoshi loving weirdness and twists and turns. Once again, however, it's the characters that hold this adventure together; I loved each and every one of these stupid dorks. The ending sequence would have been moronic in any other game and completely failed to land, but Uchikoshi trusted that he wrote these characters compelling enough for you to fall in love with, and goddammit he was right. A-Set, You Bet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Re: FF14

Awful MMO

Good single-player game.

Disclaimer: I only played 1-50 content many years ago. I bet that new content is good, but the framework of the game is (was?) awful. The way you grind out professions, the way every character has every job at their disposal which eliminates the purpose of alternate characters, non-story quests in general, the incredibly boring zones with world content that makes everything feel like an endless game of Alterac Valley in WoW.

Has any of that changed with the expansions?

these are all unambiguously positive things

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it really is just that good

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

two golden quotes already, hell yeah

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

They're both on the list and got lots of votes. They may not have beaten Tetris Effect on the list, but to say there were no big name VR releases is to say you don't play VR games and don't pay attention to them.

easy answer: no one plays vr games and no one pays attention to them

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

cadence has a rad soundtrack, at least

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

gently caress randy pitchford

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hell yeah!!! dusk is so loving good!!! please play dusk!!!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wuggles posted:

Rarity this is great :unsmith:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stux posted:

witcher 3 has stayed in the same place for so long because it fell asleep reading its own script and everyone is being very conscientious and not disturbing its nap

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

having played more of dq11 since posting my list, i'm just more certain that jade is my wife and we're going to be very happy together

the game is really, really good

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kaboobi posted:

note: the DQ11 switch port that came out this year is unarguably the better version as it has an orchestral soundtrack and some more content and a lot of little balance tweaks and NO CROSSBOW BULLSHIT and you should 100% play that version over the PC/PS4 one

i've only played the switch version; what does this refer to?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kaboobi posted:

manually scanning every area in first person mode for tiny little red targets you could shoot to get some stat seeds and stuff, it was tedious and bad unless you just used a guide to look up the locations

oh that sounds awful, i'm glad it's not in the switch version

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

obra dinn is a great game that i'm too loving stupid to play

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is it for people who loved ZTD

if you like uchikoshi at all, please play AI. it's fantastic

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

bloodstained was such a solid and well-designed metroidvania, i loved it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

edelgard and jade and i are going to be the strongest wife trio and live happily ever after

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

huge slam on god of war out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not a metroidvania, it's a metroid prime-like. There's no VANIA in Control at all. It's not a 2D game.

metroidvania isn't necessarily 2d