Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm a massive tightarse so most of the games I've played this year are a bit behind, but eh whatever.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)
I was one of the handful that hardly had any issues on release day, and in the month since I've played 100+ hours. World design, story, missions, sound, detailing, everything about this is incredible.

2. Stardew Valley
I've travelled a lot this year with only a tiny underpowered laptop, so a chill and small game like Stardew Valley has been perfect. I also think it extra qualifies for this year's list because the dev recently added an enormous free content patch that he could've easily charged :10bux: for. Still blows my mind that the entire game from art, coding, music, story etc is basically the work of one guy. And he loves it so much that despite spending years of his life on one project, now that he's got more money than he knows what to do with, the only thing he wants to do is .. keep working on it.

3. Battle for Polytopia (iOS)
Charming little Civ-like and probably the best original 4X game I've played on mobile. Free to play with no restrictions, the only costs are for additional tribes to play as, each of which requires different strategies. And it works offline, so it's a fantastic way to kill a couple of hours on a flight. Coming "soon" to PC.

4. Total War: Three Kingdoms
First time dipping back into the Total War series in a looong time and was pleasantly surprised. Had a lot of fun with this one, and it was a great way to get super hyped for a multi-month trip through China.

5. Hollow Knight
Didn't have much of a chance to play this one this year, but what I did play I really enjoyed. Looking forward to getting back into it and giving it a serious crack.

6. Assassin's Creed: Origins
Picked this one up in the Humble Bundle for super cheap as the first AC game I've since Black Flag, and was very impressed at the leaps and bounds they've taken with the formula.

7. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Replayed again earlier in the year and it still holds up. Still looks great, still a lot of fun. Still finding things I missed the first two times around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Great thread, so much more backlog for the backlog god :shobon: