Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm worried that not enough people played DMC5 for it to rate in this thread, the let's play I watched (Woolie and Pat) was amazing.

e: Oh, and Unionize the games industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I don’t know anything about fort nite or Ninja. (Apparently he’s bad OP)
It also doesn’t make sense to call switching services selling out, because it’s just choosing one insane hegemony over another. :capitalism:
But I do know that Mixer is a trash service compared to Twitch re: latency, so it seems like career suicide.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

top three non-video games I played this year:

2. Spirit Island

I don't have anything clever to say, it's good.

Spirit Island is real good, y’all. The moment your spirit hits critical mass is the best. Screw the colonizing scum.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Here is my list thank you for the good thread rarity

#10 - The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
"Emily? Hellooo? Is anyone there? Who's there?"

if you haven't played it I guess gameplay wise it's like gory lesbian Wario Land 2??

This one really catapulted Swery from 'some guy that makes weird games' to 'guy that I should be paying attention to' for me.

Help Im Alive posted:

#4 - Super Mario Maker 2
"Im using toaddete"

I think there was something really special about playing this (and Mario Maker 1!) at launch and following the goon thread.

Thanks. I quoted you in the OP at the very end.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That’s looking like about where Super Mario Maker 2 is gonna be on my list too.

Too many earthshaking games this year for it to be any higher.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I was going to type up my list last night but instead I played 6 hours of Disco Elysium.

lordfrikk posted:

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
Incredibly janky and unfun to play. Shame because I think the story is probably really good.

May I recommend the LP by SuperGreatFriend then?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know anything about Kingdom Hearts but I'm surprised KH3 has only been on like two lists, it seemed like a big deal that it was finally out

It seems to me like a big deal in the same sense that Shenmue 3 is a big deal. It exists, surprising everyone.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phantasium posted:

01. Super Mario Maker 2 - https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1167925989877239812
So I played something like 1400 goon levels

Hey, thanks so much for contributing the thread Phantasium! You helped countless goons out.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Leaving your list to the last minute is probably the best thing to do because I've been playing through Life is Strange 2 and Control the past few days and they'd maybe be on my top 10 now

but i'm leaving mine as it is :hai:

I regret to inform everyone that "The Haunted Island: a Frog Detective Game" has not made my top ten list, as it is only #12 or 13.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

2019: Breaking the boundaries
To me, 2019 is the year of the authentic game. The best games of this year carry a powerful authorial intent that makes them stand out above the crowd. These are games that above all, know exactly what they're doing. My favorite part about the games on my list, is that they are all flawed in some minor ways. That means we can go even further in the months and years to come. Now is not the time to give up, in 2020 we will stand on the shoulders of giants.

10. Astral Chain
Platinum never loses it's lustre.

Another excellent character action game from Platinum. Ever wanted to control a 'stand' in a game? Here's the game for you. Just one button dedicated to character attack and all the rest for controlling your partner's moves.

9. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The dark souls of not being dark souls.

Maybe you've heard of FromSoft, they made Dark Souls. They know every part of that formula and how to use it properly.
Sekiro is not Dark Souls. It's a speedy stealth action game with a grappling hook and one hit kill assassinations.
It uses elements taken from Dark Souls sure, but FromSoft has shown that they have a much broader command of game design than people expected.

8. Link's Awakening
Life is a dream.

They knew they could bring this game back, because they finally re-implemented Link jumping on the Switch. This is a classic and the new art style is perfect for it.

by forums poster Azza Bamboo
7. Final Fantasy 5
Getting some work experience.

This is the game that made 'job' systems in RPGs actually interesting and enjoyable. It's the reason Bravely Default and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Octopath Traveller exist.
This was the year I finally beat it thanks to Four Job Fiesta, a fantastic challenge mode for the game that a ton of goons participate in every year. Come join us!

6. Pikuniku
Armless fun

A simple cleanly colored platformer with goofy coop play, and a light and silly store.

5. Super Mario Maker 2
1400 goon levels to enjoy.

I'm just some guy that spent a day writing nonsense about how Mario levels do. The magic of Mario Maker is that [i]everyone[/o] can make something, and goons are amazing at it. Together we've made over 1400 levels. If you like Mario, come on down and check the thread out, and thanks to everyone who supported it.

4. The Outer Wilds
A toybox filled with planets.

Of all the games I've played, this one probably has crashed the most on me. The reason that's the case is that it contains 22 whole minutes of an entire solar system. If hitman gives you a clockwork Venice, this game gives you a clockwork Mars. It's fantastically fun to explore and piece together all the details, if you can stand getting sucked into a black hole for the dozenth time.

3. Disco Elysium
Who are you?

Disco Elysium is a game that understands that singel player wRPGs are best when they are about who the protaganist is and what the world that they exist in is. Not terrible D&D mechanics or lovely third person shooting, those can be enjoyable sometimes but they are a distracton from what the game is about. This game is not distracted, it goes beyond all other wRPGS to be about what it is about, deep into it's own mechanics. And what it is about is meaningful and moving.

2. Baba is You
Beyond Sokoban

I didn't think there was any way that someone could make a better Sokoban puzzler than Stephen's Sausage Roll. I was wrong. You can make a better Sokoban, if you're willing to break all the rules. Which is exactly the point of Baba is You. It lets you break all the rules and remake all the rules. And then when you think you are done, it goes even further. The perfect game to destroy your brain with.

1. Death Stranding
A game that is a rope.

This game is Kojima. As much of him as can fit into a video game. His arrogance, his profound but stupid writing style, his bizarre characters, his over obsession with certain gameplay styles. All of that is in here. There is a metal gear with serial numbers filed off in this game for seemingly no reason.

Kojima is the auteur. He knows that, and he's using it to enforce his message. This the first game that actually cares about the mechanics of walking while carrying heavy stuff, but more importantly than that this is a game about community. Using the asynchronous online method of Dark Souls, the building in the game reinforces this theme perfectly by making you thankful for other people's contributions to the point where you come to rely on them without even having to think about it.

That's why he made that outrageous comment about FPS players not understanding the game. This game is the opposite online experience of many others. It is a rope intended to bring us together. Is that dumb? Yes, it's so dumb and profound that it works.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 27, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

The 7th Guest skipped all the major AAA titles and played a whole bunch of 2-3 hour long indie games. You could easily beat 30-40 of those in the time some people here have put into Death Stranding alone.

Hi, hello, yes, this is me.

I have a total play time of 97 hours in my game of the year Death Stranding, the game about carrying heavy things across pointy rocks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Please remember it's policy not to refer to it as "crunch", we call it "blizzard magic" :)

You can consider my bad posting as a 'surprise mechanic'.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I will be playing Frog Detective 2 today so that it can enjoy a brief period of time as my number 1 game of 2020.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

Welp, it was always going to happen eventually. It’s all been fun and games so far but that was never going to last when the competition is this hot. It’s time for us to see the first legitimate big name release of 2019 drop away from the pack. Which game has failed to match up to this year’s impeccably high standards? Could it be Pokémon Sword/Shield? Or perhaps it’s Mortal Kombat 11? Here’s the game you voted in at #43.

43. LUIGI’S MANSION 3 (NEXT LEVEL)
31 points, listed 6 times

Oh no, not even Gooigi could save this one! It’s fitting that Mario’s younger brother should have his own game overshadowed by two bigger Ninty franchises but we’ll get to Pokémon and Fire Emblem in time. For now let’s give a big hand to one of gaming’s most unlikely heroes.

This is a very good game if you ever wanted to know what it feels like to just destroy all the furniture in a room with the world’s most powerful vacuum.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It’s a good thing storage expands so fast because Hitman 3s total size is going to be at least 200 GB.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

32. LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK’S AWAKENING (NINTENDO)
38 points, listed 12 times

This year’s Switch port brought one of Link’s classic adventures to a whole new generation and it’s put in a good performance in your countdown.

This is an interesting example of a game low ranking in a lot of lists. (It did in mine.) I’m not sure how to take that average of 8th place.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

wuggles posted:

Rarity this is great :unsmith:

I also want to say that reading every post in the voice of a cartoon pony is unreasonably amusing to me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kingdom Hearts III was hyped to the heavens yet it seemed to be luke warmed received. How come?

I never played the series besides the first game which I stopped at...I THINK the Tarzan area? Maybe Alice in Wonderland?

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a game for people that played the other games. It isn’t a game that was trying to attract new players. Which is a shame because it seems like a lot of Disney’s newer properties are pretty neat.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

If Outer Wilds isn't in the top 5 I will make a mildly whiny post about it and move on

My preflight check suggests it’s about a 50% chance. Being less vague that that might constitute a spoiler which I really don’t want to do.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phantasium posted:

woulda been higher if there was a bookmark site

:agreed:

I’m upset SMM2 got posted before I got home. I can’t link to the latest goon world on mobile.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It guessed each one of the top 10 except DMCV, which means that one of the top 10 will be a complete surprise to me. I’m so excited.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

These posts are getting longer and longer now so in order to give you all adequate time to take them in the gap between updates is increasing to 10 minutes. This is done purely for your reading benefit and is certainly not an attempt to increase the mounting tension.

I’m going to be driving home during the top 5. This may result in my death.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arist posted:

I know it doesn't count but in case anyone cares, and specifically limited to games from this year:

10. Kingdom Hearts III

9. Trails of Cold Steel II

8. Fire Emblem Three Houses

7. Baba is You

6. Judgment

5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

4. Death Stranding

3. Devil May Cry 5

2. Disco Elysium

1. Shadowbringers

e: I keep editing this to put KH3 lower lmao

And now I know which game was missing from my top ten guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Average score of 8.9 for Shadowbringers, that's gotta be a record!

It might be a record for now, but it won’t be by the time we get to number one on the list.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I really thought shadowbringers was gonna be higher but I guess get owned mmo nerds

It was brought down by the unpopularity of it’s genre. If everyone in the thread played MMOs it might be number 1.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, hi, outer wilds is in the top five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

This was going to be happening anyway tbh

Looking to become the number 1 horniest poster, eh?