Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I'm gonna wait a few days to post mine, because Wattam was just pre-loaded on my PS4 and unlocks in 45 hours and Katamari Damacy was one of the best games I discovered this year. Which is probably a good thing, because I forgot that I discovered how great Katamari is this year and there's probably other great games that I haven't thought of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rarity posted:

Thank you! I was very surprised you guessed Lost Odyssey as my #1 pick after how much fun you saw me have liveposting my way through ME1! I can't wait to get to the sequel :D

I loved that game, and the gif you posted really makes me want to find a way to play it again... I'd also be curious to play Blue Dragon again, but I have a feeling that it would be more of a slog than anything, but Lost Odyssey is imo a perfect modern 'old school RPG', and I guess to contrast Blue Dragon they focused on story and world building, but still had really simple battle mechanics, that were just as fun, if not more fun/less tedious than Blue Dragon's. I want a remaster!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’ve been playing the poo poo out of that Disco game for the sake of this thread, I had my list finalized until I got that game. I think it will bump off one of the triple A games I had at the bottom of my list, at the very least. Possibly two!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Edit: Nice, I just made it by like ten seconds! I added in gifs, tried to make it more readable and fixed some of the awful spelling and writing. Happy new years, y'all!

Games I wanted to play, but didn't:

Ashen
AI: The Somnium Files
Mario Maker 2
Astral Chain (didn't finish)

Games this thread made me want to play:
Risk of Rain 2
Baba is You
AI: The Somnium Files

Honorary mentions:

Disco Elysium

I haven't even gotten that far into this yet, I think I'm gonna wait for the PS4 release actually just cause I'm weird and I much prefer gaming on a console, but I've played a decent chunk of it and it's just amazing to me how this game even works just considering how different the paths I've taken in doing the very first part of the game a couple of times and watching a friend play through the beginning. It would be on my list if I'd finished it probably, but I feel like I need to beat it first, because I feel like I'm going to be playing through it a few times.

Vane

lmao I doubt anyone even mentioned this game in a year end list, so I'm mentioning it here just because. Even though I did enjoy the ideas presented and the amazing glitchy shader effect and the use of vertex colors or like one color per poly, and no textures. The way the levels transform on a micro and macro level is a very cool idea that's used in conjuction with a complete lack of any text or voice acting, which they've described as 'the dark souls of walking simulators' or something like that, and I sort of agree, it's like Journey with a Dark Souls style approach to the story and the objective. Unfortunately, when the game launched it was probably the most buggy game I'd ever played, which, combined with the fact that you could ONLY save your game at like 3 points in the game which were sometimes hours apart depending on how quickly you solved the puzzles, or in my case, how many times your character glitched out and got stuck in a loop of a door pushing animation, forcing me to quit and sending me back to the beginning of the game, after like 4 hours of gameplay. It's a shame, because I think with some really minor adjustments this game could be realllyy good, but despite the bugs, there's just a really slow section in the last third of the game that I never want to do again. There's nothing indicating what you're supposed to do, but it takes forever to actually move, and if you fall off a ledge, which is really easy since one of the actually cool things about this game is that as you walk, platforms and bridges appear in a really visually fascinating way. But the game is worth playing still imo, just to explore the world and admire the unique style and visuals. The founder of the studio left before the first trailer premiered, so it was kind of a mess, according to the other devs, and he's currently making a game called Mare that basically looks exactly like Vane, just with a different aesthetic, and improved mechanics, but in VR. He was also one of the devs on The Last Guardian, which is initially why I was looking forward to the game, so it's sort of reassuring knowing that he's making Mare by himself.

I forgot that I finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn this year... I would've probably put it at number 9, because it's older, but it was genuinely one of the best games I played this year! I never play open world games, literally the last one I finished before that was Fallout 3, and I was more enamored by the graphics and just seeing a huge world which I'd never seen in a video game before, or at least not one that looked that nice. However, I hate that game, but I loved HZD. It's gorgeous, and traversing the world was fun because finding lore stuff was actually exciting and rare, I loved finding the hologram things, they're incredible. There must be something to that Decima engine, because I then beat Death Stranding not too long after, beating two huge open world games after abstaining for like 10 years.

8. Judgment

This is literally a Yakuza game, and you can skip this paragraph since it's a load of nitpicking that isn't even necessarily negative. But yeah, it's really more of a Yakuza spin off with a different main character which I didn't expect, or at least not to this degree, but they still manage to make him and his side kick just as involved with the Yakuza as Kiryu and Majima are in Yakuza 0 basically. But down to the missions, and everything else like fighting, etc. (oh I should mention that there's NO bosses who rip off their suit jackets/shirts with one hand, so that's kind of a bummer, BUT, the villain(s) in this game are very creepy compared to the 3 Yakuza games I've played, and from what I do know about the rest of the games, I think it's the most interesting villain in any of the games), but aside from that, there's not much new. You can race and fly your drone around town, and just fly around taking pictures and buzzing around civilians to annoy them which is pretty fun. Baseball is still there, and all of the complicated Japanese games like Shoji, etc. too, but other than that there's no bowling, or like Mesuking (which is good...), or hostess club/real estate stuff. They basically turned one very basic mechanic that was in the engine into a minor gameplay mechanic, according to the Yakuza creator, which is literally just looking for clues in first person mode. I guess they'd implemented a first person camera so they wanted to take advantage of it and essentially it's used just for that. Your missions or substories are just recontextualized as 'cases', so basically, that was a long way of saying there's some small changes, and some are so small, like the 'cases', which Kiryu has been doing more efficiently than Yagami all of these years, since he has way less of a chance of messing up, as there's not as many multiple choice questions. So yeah, Kiryu is basically a detective and Yagami might as well be a Tojo clan yakuza.

But none of this is bad, imo, since I've enjoyed every Yakuza game I've played and plan on playing the rest of the series very slowly, I enjoyed this and it's more or less what I expected, although I was hoping it would be a bit heavier on the detective stuff, and lean into some of that stuff, like I thought there would be a bit more freedom, or some Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa style stuff, but it's basically just presenting evidence from 3 choices, and you don't even do this that many times in the entire game (I mean in the main story, at least). However, the plot is a lot more serious, and deals with more serious matters of political corruption and big pharma, and gets very dark. That's probably the biggest shock to me, that this game deals with those subjects and handles them fairly well, I think. I loved Yakuza 0's story, but that was because of the relationships between Kiryu, Majima and the other main characters. Ii think Yakuza 0 is better, but it's done well, and I love playing these games because they're really relaxing. Tim Rogers made a good comparison when he said that it's like a TV show, and I don't watch TV shows even, I'm just bad at watching Netflix or whatever even, but he said it's basically like watching a TV show, and it's really true, I can just stick it on a binge these games and not have to worry about a challenge necessarily, or having to remember what was going on, or finding my way around (cause it's in Kamurocho), but I think this game is deserving of this spot on the list, because it does this really well and I think is what a lot of games should reach for this vibe or feeling instead of trying to be like a movie, but failing.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes Yakuza, though. If you haven't played Yakuza, I'd start with 0 though instead of this maybe.

7. Resident Evil 2

I almost had this behind Judgment, but I played through it a few days ago again and got through the first portion of the game to the first boss fight in one sitting and couldn't stop playing, it's really fun. I never played the original, but I played RE4 in high school and loved it, and still do, so I tried RE1 and 2 after playing 4 and couldn't get over the difference in controls, and from that point on I'd always wanted them to remake these games in that style so I was really excited when this was announced. However, I bought it used from Gamestop a few weeks after it came out, and despite enjoying the 30 minute demo, I just couldn't get into it. It was really scary, very dark, as in you can't see poo poo until about an hour in when you explore the police station further. I returned it to Gamestop within the 7 days for a refund, thinking I'd check it out some other time, and put that money towards the Sekiro Future Press book, but then a couple months ago I got RE4 on Switch and had a ton of fun replaying it, and was surprised by how well it held up. I was in the mood for more after I beat it again, so I got RE2 and for some reason I really loved it on my second attempt, and then played through both Leon and Claire's campaign, and I'm going to try to get to unlock the bonus weapons this time, which I think bumped the game up the list for me, because I really value replayability and my favorite games are almost always games I can put on like a favorite record. This is basically the case with the rest of the games on this list, and the reason why Judgment isn't above this game as I doubt I'll play it again, at most I'll try to get the platinum since I got closer than I did in any of the Yakuza games.

6. Dreams (Early Access)

This is just amazing, and has such incredible potential, and is already doing mind blowing things in early access. Next year when it comes out and multiplayer is implemented, and VR, it'll be ground breaking. The ability for people to easily make their own VR games, that can look as good as a highish budget indie game and play as well, and have multiplayer is really amazing and I'm still surprised at how easy it is to make things in Dreams, despite it being, basically, a full fledged game engine. It's still too early to say as it comes out officially in February, but I think actually making something good just requires too big of a time investment, at least for the vast majority of people. I know the game fairly well by now, the only thing I'm not good at is the logic stuff, but that will be the biggest barrier to entry for most people. However, the full game might have way better tutorials, or templates, and whatnot, and right now there's a ton of user made logic stuff for the majority of stuff you'd want to use it for, as well as everything else. The early access seems like it's basically there to let people make a bunch of stuff and to learn the tools so there's enough good user made stuff to play at launch, and even now you can make games really easily by simply assembling user made stuff, which is really cool. Even if you're trying to make something completely unique, it's very easy to modify other peoples' work and make it your own, or at least look through a large variety of assets and choose like a bush or a tree, or some rocks, etc. instead of making everything from scratch. Even though I'm really excited about this game because of the things I metnioned that are coming in the full version, I've still spent a ton of time making stuff in Dreams and also playing random levels, and it's already really fun.

5. Death Stranding

This was my first Kojima game, and I loved it. I'd always admired MGS because basically all of my friends played the games, but I also couldn't get used to the controls and didn't know about them until MGS3 really. So by the time the third trailer came out for this game I was really excited at the prospect of a new Kojima franchise that wasn't about the military and embraced being weird as hell, and it met my expectations despite the gameplay being nothing like I expected, even though I had no idea what to expect. Incredibly beautiful, unique game that's a really cool thing to see, like, such a bizarre game being so mainstream, and promoted on TV constantly, and given tons of funding. Between this, The Last Guardian and Dreams, Sony has shown really amazing support for games that they know are risky, but give them time and money to make without compromise, which is really nice to see and is the reason I'm buying a PS5 on day one probably, if not day one then at least during the first few months.

4. Katamari Reroll

I'd never played the original, but holy poo poo, why did no one tell me how great this game is?? I got it for Switch and it's probably my most played game on Switch by far. Everyone knows why this game is good though, and if you don't then it's hard to really express why it's good. rolling up a big old Katamari is just immensely satisfying, and I'm now a huge Katamari fan, I need to get my hands on We <3 Katamari!

3. Control

This game was probably more surprising than Katamari was for me, and it's basically everything I'd want in a third person shooter, since I'm not a huge fan of the genre. It's Twin Peaks meets X Files in a government building that shape shifts to change the structure of its brutalist architecture, and you can telekinetically rip chunks of concrete out of the wall and throw them at weird extra dimensional manifestations of mundane objects, like a fridge. An upside down pyramid called the board tells you how to do this, and it rules. If that doesn't sound cool enough to go out and get it right now if you haven't already, then I don't know how to help you, sorry!

2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

As others have said, this game is the best From Software game in a long line of games that were probably my favorite games ever. Or at least Bloodborne is up there, and this is better imo, at least in terms of gameplay. And again, like others have said, it's just sort of wild to me that From could go from the same system that they used from Demon's Souls through Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3, then make an extremely fast paced and precise sort of character action game? Or just action, but whatever it is, it's my favorite action game and I need more of it. I don't know what else to really say about this, aside from gushing about how *incredible* the sword fights feel. The sound of a successful deflect is one of the best sounds in any game, and the sound of like 15 successful deflects in quick succession is one of the best feeling an action game can provide, imo. I hope more games attempt this style of combat, because there's nothing like it, and no other action game feels as great to play, but also being a From Soft game, it's also extremely satisfying after you've lost to a certain boss like 100 times, or maybe 150+, which I think happened to me on at least 2 of the bosses in this game, but when you finally learn how to play well and beat those bosses you will do stupid poo poo like scream and fist pump while you're shaking from the adrenaline, and that's something that very few other games have done for me, and most of those moments were in other From Soft games.

1. Outer Wilds

Again, this game is just mindblowing to me that it even works. If people haven't played it yet, and you like adventure games, or exploring, and just unique games and story telling, play this. It's sort of misleading at first, and seems intimidating, or like it has wonky flight mechanics that might be irritating, but it's a very simple game really, there's no combat which I think is also quite the feat, since this game was on a lot of year end lists which was surprising, but well deserved, and I can't think of many other games without combat that end up being on lots of Goty lists. There's some other common gameplay mechanics that are present in almost every game that also aren't here, but I don't want to spoil this too much, but it seems like people bounce off of this game because of this, or end up playing to completion and loving it. You simply just do whatever you want, and the game leads you in the right direction. You want to go check out those two planets orbiting each other, and just fly there, learn some stuff, which makes you curious about that other planet that's falling apart, and wow, it's got an underground city, drat! And a black hole in the center!. This is maybe one of the best games of all time, imo, and certainly in my top ten of the decade. An instant classic, it's the only game on this list I feel comfortable saying that about.

VideoGames posted:

06- Shadow of the Colossus (Feb 07 2018)

I promised another goon (Imhotep, they posted a few pages back :D) I would play this and the Last Guardian this year and while Last Guardian is a game I am enjoying more it did not make the list as I have not quite hit 6 hours in it yet (this is my criteria for games I have not completed.) I did complete this and I streamed every moment with the wonderful citizens of the PS4 thread giving me encouragement. This game was something else. I experienced a lot of unique games this year and this not meeting any of the standard narratives we are bombarded with year after year made every aspect refreshing and engaging. I was haunted by the sheer loneliness of the world and of ultimately what I was doing. Strong atmosphere is what caused me to love it and made me seek out more of the kind of game. Also Agro is gorgeous and I love them and I wish all horses to be like her.

This is one of the best gaming moments of 2019!! Can't wait for VG's 2020 list with The Last Guardian as number one.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 1, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I was surprised to see like 4 or 5 quotes out of my 7 in the top ten! I chalk that up to trying to quickly write it before the deadline tho, so any value in said quotes was most likely purely unintentional, and also shows I'm not as hipster as I thought, and I have basic rear end normie Gamer taste :/ (jk, the top games were all very good even tho Outer Wilds was robbed and after playing more Disco Elysium I've decided it's probably my goty 2020).

Ty Rarity! Good rear end effort posts, you could say . . . . . . . . . are a rarity, or at least good ones about video games are, and you also engendered lots of other effort posts, which helped me decide which games to check out next.