Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Top 10

10. Red Dead Redemption 2
Amazing story of Arthur Morgan, great leap in making interactions between characters seem more lifelike, incredibly good and unique looking world but middling everything else.

9. Resident Evil 2
What my memory of playing older games looks like in my head. Midgame and endgame was a bit too linear for my tastes.

8. Death Stranding
Unique experience that was for me let down by the extremely uneven pacing and almost all the exposition being backloaded.

7. SOMA
Incredible story. I wish they didn't feel the need to include combat and some stretches of the game could have definitely been shorter.

6. What Remains of Edith Finch
The best walking sim I've played so far. Not a inch of game wasted.

5. Life if Strange: Before the Storm
Knowing the ending didn't make this any easier.

4. Outer Wilds
Exploration that doesn't suck. Mysteries that made my body tingle.

3. Control
The first surprise of the year. I had zero expectations despite liking Alan Wake but this game had well-crafted atmosphere and world that is unlike any other. Closest comparison for me is Prey's Talos I.

2. Sekiro
Made me swear a lot but the world, atmosphere and combat is incredible.

1. Disco Elysium
This game took the cake this year. Completely unexpected but so worth playing. Incredible writing, art style and compelling story.

poo poo that was good but uneven and thus didn't make the list:

Star Wars: Fallen Order
Decent first attempt. Huge hopes for sequel.

Ghost of a Tale
Great exploration game that gets a bit bogged down in jank.

Vampyr
I actually really liked the story and innovative morality system but the game was a bit too long and padded in the second half.

poo poo I expected to love but didn't:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
I think I might just dislike the general art style. The game also didn't feel very good or exciting to play.

Dragon Quest Builders
I think there is definitely space for more guided Minecraft but this ain't it, chief.

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
Incredibly janky and unfun to play. Shame because I think the story is probably really good.

The Outer Worlds
Mediocre but without the good writing this time.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I loved the English VA in Plague Tale and thought the interactions between the siblings were super cute. Definitely enjoyed my time with it but the levels were kind of old school dumb puzzles that made the level layouts make no logical sense. It's a dumb complaint, too, I admit but oh well :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep that's me, that's what they call me!

And I don't think indivisible was a hit at all, there's basically no fanart which is usually a decent gauge of a game's popularity, especially one tailor-made for fanart like indivisible is. Like, there's not even that much fanart of Razmi, the best new character of 2019. It's such a shame, it's a wonderful game. But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Maybe after they add all the playable guest characters (shovel knight of course, shantae, a bunch of other indie darlings, I think hollow knight too) as well as the backer characters, and it comes out on switch, hopefully more people will give it a go. At least I hope folks in this thread wishlist it for pickup later, it's a wonderful game with wonderful characters, writing, voice acting, music, and megaman x-styled platforming.

For what it's worth your post made me put Indivisible on my soon-to-play list whereas before it wasn't even on my radar. The protagonist sounds dope and the art style is just amazing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I have played around 35 games from the top 75. I have a big gap when it comes to Nintendo games because except for GBA I've never owned any of their devices (have played only BotW on PC with emulator).