Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Palpek posted:

3. Outer Wilds - Groundhog Day set in The Little Prince galaxy; superb at environmental storytelling and letting the player figure things out on their own

I love The Little Prince as a touchstone for Outer Wilds. It's something I had thought a lot about in Outer Wilds aesthetic and presentation, but never could put my finger on. It's one of my favorite children's books, even as a grown-rear end man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

LionArcher posted:

Considering he regular plays with a few POC, and I’ve never heard him utter a single phrase, I don’t think so?

Tyler ad-libbed an n-word into a song where it doesn't exist. https://kotaku.com/top-twitch-streamer-ninja-rapped-a-slur-leading-to-a-f-1824157259 and claimed to be tongue-tied. The only way that dropping an n-word when you're tongue tied is a reasonable excuse is because you frequently say it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

LionArcher posted:

So he made a mistake, apologized and since hasn’t made said mistake? What the gently caress is this cancel culture?

yeah sorry i don't tolerate people who drop casual n-bombs gently caress outta here streamer defender

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

order the games zaphod

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, Control looked okay but based on these lists I gotta make time for it.

It's great, especially if you already know that you like Remedy's house style. It was one of the first games that I found that the in-world signposting and markers (like the signs in a building to another area in a building) were actually effective. It was very neat to be able to navigate the setting with in-game directions.

It's also on sale from Gamestop (today only, I think) for $25 for PS4 and Xbox, but I'd maybe say that it's far better on PC unless you're playing on a PS4+ or XBox One X. Especially if you have an RTX card.

It's going to end up pretty high on my list.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VG coming in with the GOTY fire. Great list. Might have to check out this Noita because even just that gif and write-up is incredibly intriguing.

Amp fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 16, 2019

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Just want everyone to know I've read all their lists and everyone's done a lovely job :3:

i've found so many new games to buy and not play that will certainly be wonderful

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Let's do this.

10. GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- REV 2 (PC)

I don’t know the first thing about how to actually be good at this game or how the balance is or anything like that so I can’t really speak to that. What I can speak to is this game being an absolute joy to look at and to play. It’s the first fighting game in a long time that’s gotten me to break out the stick and spend time in the training mode because I want to get better. It’s also very anime and has cute anime friends to play as. Also I love silly anime fighting game names.

9. Slay the Spire (PC)

It’s the card game roguelike. It’s everything I could ever want in a roguelike that isn’t Binding of Isaac. I’ve played enough of this game where I don’t have to think particularly hard about what to do or how to play and it’s become a big comfort game for me. When I’m too tired to play something more intense or if I want to play something and listen to a podcast more often than not it’s Slay the Spire.

8. Apex Legends (PC & PS4)

Fortnight schmortnite. Apex Legends is the only battle-royale game that ever hit with me and it hit me hard. The ping system alone is enough to make Apex Legends notable and worthy of praise. It has absolutely set the standard for non-vocal communication in team video games. I eventually fell in love with the decision to force party play, even if I thought it was silly and only wanted to play duos. There was little more satisfying in gaming this year as a single moment than winning games of Apex Legends.

7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo Switch)

There’s nothing to say here that hasn’t otherwise been said more elegantly. However, Claude please be my husband. Only after the time skip, though.

6. Tetris Effect (PS4/PSVR)

Bonus Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qyvhcpooo

Take some edibles and throw the VR headset on for this one. Tetris Effect is one of the most whimsical, intense and special interpretations of Tetris ever done. The combination of visuals and soundtrack and how it all weaves in with the good-rear end Tetris gameplay for a very rare and special experience.

5. Untitled Goose Game (PC)

:honk:

https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/1176724707019591680?lang=en

4. A Short Hike (PC)

What a delightful surprise to end my year on. It’s part Breath of the Wild and part Animal Crossing. You need to hike up a mountain to make a cell phone call and along the way meet all sorts of cute animals who need your help finding various things around the provincial park. Also there’s a great mini-game called BEACHSTICKBALL and I love it. I loved A Short Hike.

3. Outer Wilds (PC)

Majora’s Mask with The Little Prince world design and mysteries abound. Read what everyone else has already said much more eloquently than I have about Outer Wilds, then suck up the fact that you have to download the Epic Games Store to play it because it’s worth it.

2. Control (PC)

Again, I’m not quite sure what to say about Control that hasn’t already been said. I loved everything about it. Everything is top-notch from the combat and powers feel to the side stories and FMV fun that you expect from Remedy. Control is one of the only games I can think of where the in-game directions (things like signs in the world and that) are useful and well-designed. The use of color and architecture is often striking and breathtaking in a fantastical way. I can not wait for Remedy to flesh out more of the world in the upcoming year.

1. Disco Elysium (PC)

Disco Elysium is the rare game that the second you begin to play it, you recognize that it is very, very special. Disco Elysium being my game of the year is easiest choice I made on this entire list. Disco Elysium puts your character’s interiority front-and-center, but not ahead of other meaningful character and story interactions and plays it’s hand masterfully. In the canon of isometric RPGs, Disco Elysium certainly has a shout for the pantheon of the greatest of all times. Disco Elysium is art of the highest degree. Shout out to Marx and Engels.

Amp fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 21, 2019

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Can I just Nth that list because it's the same as mine.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Can you also count evil uno’s top 10 that was posted on giant bomb? It seems only appropriate.

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/evil-unos-top-10-games-of-2019/1100-5928/

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

J-Ru and CharlieFoxtrot, those are both really nice and thoughtful lists.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Rarity every single person in this thread just PM'd me and said they want to change all their votes to Silent Scope 2 so do the needful.

please don't leak my PMs

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

it's about when you play the game not when it was released or when you bought it so if they buy it they can play it next year and put it on next year's goty

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Hypnospace Outlaw as cool as I think it is?

A venture into late '90s/early 2000s internet? Is Something Awful on there? Can I message Lowtax?

yes it is as cool as you think it is but it's more geocities 90s internet than forums 90s internet

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

i can't wait for the goty list to hit 85% on metacritic so we all go home with a nice bonus!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

unionize

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

But that aside, friends, I'm afraid that is it! Voting is now officially closed! Thank you to everyone who submitted their very thoughtful and considered lists (and also Relax Or DIE) for making this thread a huge success. I'm now going to take these lists and crank those numbers and I'll be back on Friday 3rd January at 2:00pm GMT/9:00am EST for the live results reveal including a full countdown of the top 75! Cancel your plans everybody, this is going to be an all-day affair!

And remember, UNIONISE

Calling my boss at 6:30am on New Year’s Day to tell him I’m not coming in on Friday because I have a awards ceremony to attend.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Incredible post, Rarity. Can't wait to see what the rest of the day brings in terms of GOTY posts and nothing else because nothing else is happening today at all.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Should I play A short Hike

It's lovely and it made me cry

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Three games i voted for ended up not making the top 75. I can be pretty proud of that I think

I think there should be a special award for the person who put the most not-top-75 games in their list.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

It's up to 12 years now :negative:

*shakes fist at WoW Classic*

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I should try one of these Ateliers eventually.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Dicey Dungeons Soundtrack is available on:

Spotify

Bandcamp

Steam

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I want to try to play that niche JRPG franchise at some point too!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please god do not buy Ion Fury, they devs are homophobic cowards

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what

Rarity there were like a dozen amazing VR releases this year

I'm sorry but Boneworks blows Tetris Effect away by a loving mile, as does Pistol Whip.

zaphod they're not on the list they don't count

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

They're both on the list and got lots of votes. They may not have beaten Tetris Effect on the list, but to say there were no big name VR releases is to say you don't play VR games and don't pay attention to them.

Rarity posted:

Games that rank outside the main countdown are not considered part of the countdown :eng101:

I'm begging you to read the thread before kramering in here with a "WELL ACTUALLY" while everyone is having fun

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Senerio posted:

Seriously everyone play Cadence it rules

would you say it

hy-rules

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

I really enjoyed KH3 and it was probably like the worst game I played all year

I wanted to like it so bad, but the pacing was really really bad and by the time I got to the third set of worlds I was entirely over it and went to read spoilers.

I'm glad it hit with people, though. I know the series means a lot to a lot of people.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

This has made my very terrible day go by so much quicker. Rarity you're an absolute gem of a human being and a legendary poster. Thank you for organizing this and making it so much fun and do so SO much labor for us all.

Can't wait to see what this afternoon brings.

also

wuggles posted:

Rarity this is great :unsmith:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

also what was up with not a single final fantasy character in kh3??

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

folks from here on out it's good posts and good games only let's go

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Apex has a character (Bloodhound) that uses they/them and it is cool

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

can't believe the best version of hitm-:honk:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/1176724707019591680

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I have no idea what this is but I want it now

Regy Rusty posted:

I still don't really know what this game is but it's on my steam wishlist, so someday.

it's a internet moderator simulator mystery but you're a geocities mod not a forums mod

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

i probably would have voted for shadowbringers if i wasn't still in the hundreds-hour runway

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

LETS GO DIS-CO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Congrats to Naito for winning the double championship!

:hmmyes: