Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

7.Dragon Quest Builders 2

Terraria in 3d. No not Minecraft. This actually has progression and goals and poo poo to do.

7. Astral Chain Not quite as fun to play as it's genre brother DMC5 Astral Chain is still really goddamn fun and I loving love the 90s cyberpunk anime aesthetic. Shoot that into my veins.

6. Control

Good shooter with an inventive setting, completely bonkers powers and insane mobility options. Also I'm a weirdo who loves brutalist architecture and finds it comforting due to spending a lot of my early childhood around it due to public servant parents.

5. Devil May Cry 5

DMC is back! It's just a good hack and slash. Astral Chain was pretty great too, but DMC 5 is just all around more solid.

4. Resident Evil 2 remake

Capcom has been on loving fire the last couple of years. This is a classic remade into a game good enough and different enough it'll probably be considered a classic on it's own merits. Not sure I can think of another game with that to it's name.

3. Disco Elysium

Best, most reactive game writing ever. Like straight up. I think as CRPGs go I'll give Pillars 2 the edge based on how much I enjoyed it's combat even if it's writing while incredibly good is a distant contender to Disco's.

I DON'T HAVE A GIF HERE THE gently caress DOES CUNO CARE

2. Death Stranding

I've been going slowly on this, chipping away an hour here and there, but not because I don't like it. It's just a game where that feels like the best way to experience it. A lot of stuff has been said about it, but my take is the closest thing to it is combing MGS and Trucking Simulator. It's a logistics game where even the stealth and combat is something you plan to deal with before you even set out, by carefully plotting routes and balancing supplies and cargo against your ability to carry weight and the kind of terrain and issues you may encounter on your route. If that sounds like horrible work to you? I get that and that's why it has a lot of low scores. But as someone who sinks way too much time into old management sims and poo poo like Trucking Simulator, combing those games with Kojima's writing and combat and stealth really loving works and provides a unique experience.

I didn't search a gif for this one cause I'm still not done. So uh here have my favourite funny video of the year.

https://twitter.com/JordanRasko/status/1181126357566144512

Edit: Beaten it now and the ending landed way harder than I thought it would so I've bumped the game up. Holy poo poo this might be Kojima's best. Definitely his best since MGS3. The characters and writing gets so much more alive and emotional and resonant as you go on I'm also sure it's loving deliberate, and the awkwardness at the start was in at least part to make the player be put off and distant the same as Sam and then get attached at the same time as he does. Or it's just Kojima Kojima but if it's not deliberate it's loving serendipitous.

1. Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers

Add me to the list for this one. FF14 is a game that has fully realised how to use it's status as a mmo to do long form stories unlike anyone else in the business. The character building, and the depth they give to everything is staggering and unlike say Destiny 2 the story moves and hits hard. It uses the time it has to build attachments and get you so deeply engaged with everything and then it has absolutely no mercy about using that wreck you. Or to make you piss yourself laughing. It's also really fun to play and has my favourite community of any game ever. If you're at all interested join up and roll with goons, we love helping out new members(links have spoilers for raid stuff from previous non current expacs if you really want to avoid spoilers). Also the music. And the voice acting.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

Question! Everyone is loving the FF14 expansion. If I got into it, will later expansions which release before I catch up mean I won’t get to see the awesome stories people are talking about in this one?

The only missable content in FF14 is events like the Christmas one and most crossovers (the Monster Hunter, Ivalice and NieR ones are permanent however).

Some content was in the game but near impossible to do due to being obsolete and not having anyone else doing but the two big examples of that have been fixed (Diadem has new content and Eureka has been re-balanced to be doable solo or in small groups).

Generally the game is really good at keeping old stuff populated though through the roulette and Wondrous Tails systems and being really generous doling out random cosmetics in basically all content so even if you're levelled way past a certain raid or dungeon there's general some reason to do it beyond just helping newbies out.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

BOLD PREDICTION: Iceborne finishes higher on the list in 2020 than in 2019.

Yeah probably, I'm fairly sure it'll make my top three for 2020 assuming no upsets.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I saw a stream of someone playing as Alexios in ACOd and like there's one BIG thing going for it Kassandra kind of kills it as the antagonist. Alexios is also like really chill as the PC (kind of hilariously so in contrast to his antagonist self) so it gives the whole thing a big Greek isles party boat vibe which does legit own as well, just not as much as Xena 2: Now even more Jacked.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

also what was up with not a single final fantasy character in kh3??

Yeah this got me, I was into KH1 and 2 for FF/Disney crossover poo poo. Disney crossovers on their own are a dime a loving dozen. Even Disney and generic anime OCs aren't rare outside KH. I wanted Donald talking poo poo to Gladiolus goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Well gently caress :negative:

Congrats I guess to the new Best Game Not Released in 2019, Red Dead Redemption 2 :confuoot:

*Coughs meaningfully* PC release was in November. *Coughs* WHO SAID THAT?