Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What the gently caress? The Zero Escape people made another game and I didn't know?!

How does it compare to the Zero Escape games quality wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find it amusing that Shenmue III was begged by so many gamers for so long, yet when the end product released it's on like one person's GOTY list.

Regy Rusty posted:

It doesn't have the puzzle rooms and the equivalent is less fun gameplay wise but also more integrated into the story. Story and characters though (and let's face it that's what you're really coming here for) are some of the best he's ever done.

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't mean to be that guy, but I feel that the voting should extend longer than tonight. A lot of people b purchase a large chunk of gam s during Christmas sale and thus end up playing many if not a lionshare of that year's titles then.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay I understand the logic better. Either way I don't feel that comfortable for some reason. I'm probably just a weirdo so pay me no mind.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Hypnospace Outlaw as cool as I think it is?

A venture into late '90s/early 2000s internet? Is Something Awful on there? Can I message Lowtax?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Metacritic is poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm a weirdo who doesn't want to list games I played this year that weren't released this year, so I'll only list 7. This doesn't

#7 Life is Strange 2

Dontnod could have so easily taken the easy way out. They could have made a game that is the exact same as the first but have you play as a teenage boy rather than a girl and have you not be at a boarding school. This is how the initial games presents itself and is what you expect it to become. However, after the prologue things become apparent that this isn't the route the game takes. I don't want to go to much into detail to avoid spoilers, but I'll just say that the choices you make don't just affect your actions but the actions of another person. On top of that instead of staying one town, the game has you traveling all throughout the west coast.

There is also the matter of politics in the game. Now, it's not a controversial statement to make that video games tend to not explore modern politics as much as other mediums such as film and books. But Life is Strange 2 does much to explore that. As much as I hate to say it, while I appreciate them tackling the subject of racism it's done in such a superficial way at times. Both of the characters are half Latinx and all of their racist encounter involve Hillbilly types of various degrees who jail, beat them up, or almost kill them. Being half Latinx myself (and half Arab), while I appreciate the game tackles the issue of racism in modern America, I just wish they didn't use such cartoony and extreme examples. There is a lot of racism one encounters in casual interactions that the game doesn't touch upon. The racist interactions of the game doesn't really expand beyond "there are some bad whites out there in the sticks!"

#6 Ion Fury

Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite games of all-time. I also subscribe to the notion that FPS titles peaked in the '90s with the more exploration map formula and have regressed ever since. Yes, I am that snob feel free to ridicule me. This makes Ion Fury seem like a dream game to me. The developers of Duke Nukem 3D creating another tiles in the same engine but tweaking the engine to deliver high resolution graphics and massive maps? Sign me up. The game looks, feels, and plays like everything I wanted. Thus it easily makes the cut.

Now to address the elephant in the room, it was revealed the the developers of the game...kinda...have poo poo viewpoints and politics. To the point of ridiculing the LGBT community, support for far right wing figures, and strong links to GamersGate. Thus I can complete understand for not wanting to support this game, but if you can get it by other means (such as umm...STEAM SHARE!) I highly recommend it. I will warn though that knowing the politics of the developers there are some things in the game that make you wonder. Such as the poster of "This is Bullshit! I Did Not Hit Her! I Did Not!" which is seemingly a cute reference to The Room until you realize it is on poster for relationship counselling and the premise of the game essentially being Judge Dredd. If you can look past that it's a great game, if not...I can understand.

#5 Devil May Cry V

To make things short, Devil May Cry is the successor that everyone was waiting for during the past eleven years. For me it absolutely delivered in everything I wanted with a fantastic and deep combat system, gorgeous graphics, and amazing style. There are two departments that the game fell short to me. Boss battles and color. The former because outside of the final boss and the first "real" boss, most of the bosses just didn't do it for me. The second is because outside of one or two areas the game is wayyyyyy to muted. Which is odd being that the predecessor went against the grain of piss filter games to be relatively colorful.

#4 Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Being off from the series after Awakening (I sold my 3DS) I am very impressed with how much the series has evolved. Full town exploration, boss fights, seeing who enemies will attack, and most of all the ability to rewind time. That coupled with the deep mechanics the series is known for makes for one of the best RPG experience out there.

#3 Sekiro

Two thirds Dark Souls with a third of Tenchu, gets you Sekiro. From's venture outside of the Soulsbourne formula was met with critical and commercial acclaim. I am one of those people. But while I enjoyed the game, it did feel a bit disappointed that From didn't venture away from their comfort zone a little further.

#2 Resident Evil 2

Remember when old school Resident Evil fans were complaining that Resident Evil 4 and onward were too action focused and weren't "true" survival horror? Yeah, this is the game they actually wanted.

#1 River City Girls

I wasn't expecting River City Girls to be my GOTY when I purchased it as nearly an impulse buy. I was looking for a game to get me through my 20 hour flight. Something that could merely pass by some of the time of the slow grueling hours until I got bored with it after an hour or two. I ended up actually being sad that my flight was over since I wanted to keep playing the game. Gorgeous sprite art, appealing characters, great coop, and fun and addicting gameplay. Wayforward has shown that they are a contender for the King of 2D Gameplay.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year Award

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes

Let me make this clear. I "get" Suda 51. I understand that more times than not his games have bad gameplay with interesting story and style. It's the "journey" of his games that make them appealing, sort of like art house games. The issue is that Travis Strikes Again is not all that "unique" or "creative" outside of its UI and occasional cutscenes. It's a just a brain dead "brawler" with levels that try to be different but aren't, while you do the same thing over and over. It isn't fun, interesting, or even unique, it's just dull with it being a little more than a tech demo to get Suda's feet wet before he steps back into game development.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 1, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

holy fuk such uncontrollable excitement

forget E3.

SA75

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, a Top 75?! I'm pretty sure there are not even 75 video games in existence. Incredible effort by Rarity.

I actually made my own Top 100 Games of All Time list a few years ago. Just felt like sharing it now because of reasons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mizuti posted:

It's amazing how Final Fantasy 14 kicked off the decade as a brand-destroying disaster and ended the decade with a roaring success of an expansion. From famine to feast! Even though I've looked up how this turnaround happened, it's still unbelievable.

It's literally the only game that has ever had such a turnaround at the time. No Man's Sky and Battlefront 2 have followed suite though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rarity posted:

73. RIVER CITY GIRLS (ARC SYSTEM WORKS)
18 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

Well when you put it like that, Panic Restaurant, how could I say no?

This game should be top 10 at least. Y'all slept on this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ion Fury is a great game. It's too bad that the creators are such poo poo bags. 3D Realms is the Mel Gibson of gaming.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kingdom Hearts III was hyped to the heavens yet it seemed to be luke warmed received. How come?

I never played the series besides the first game which I stopped at...I THINK the Tarzan area? Maybe Alice in Wonderland?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm so happy I never got into Kingdom Hearts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bloodstained is the only time I can think of when a high profile developer came back to a franchise via Kickstarter and actually delivered.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You guys are making me want to actually play an MMO. I haven't done so since the Litch King days in WoW.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm happy as long as Death Stranding isn't on the picture ranking list.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I must be the only person who played Disco Elysium and didn't put it on my list.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Corte posted:

I'm not usually one for mob justice but let me grab my pitchfork.

Here's my review in case you are curious.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Skullgirls sold a lot. Even before it was in bargain bin prices.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I the only one who is really happy that Death Stranding isn't in the Top 75?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Probably, given that it made it to number 7.

gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I remember a bunch of Skullgirls fans got super mad that the Indivisible devs said it wasn't going to be as horny, did they stick to that or cave in.

The core Skullgirls community is surprisingly progressive for a 2D titty game.