Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The best games I played this year were Assassin's Creed Odyssey , Final Fantasy XIV, and Control

Edit: oh looks like the op decided to put the posting rules at the end of a very long and stupid post like a moron so I will be updating this post to fit the regulations later when I get home and can maybe think of two other games I played this year. Idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I decided to make a new post instead of edit my old one. Looking through my trophy list seems I played far more games this year than I realised, many of these i started the previous year and other still i have yet to finish. All games played on ps4

10. Dragon Quest XI I like my jrpgs old school and this fits the bill. All previous DQ experiences have been on handhelds so the novelty of seeing what is essentially the same game on a big tv was fun. Still yet to complete

9. Shadow of the Colossus I felt this game was rather overhyped to me, having never played it originally on the PS2 and I may have rushed through it a bit but its unique and stark atmosphere ensures it remains a classic

8. Ni no Kuni II I don't think this game was very well received on these forums but its simplistic uninnovative nature sat well with me and along with its charming naivety and suikoden-esque vibe meant I enjoyed this game much more than I was expecting to

7. God of War My first God of War game. Stunning visuals, above average voice talent, and satisfying combat. One of only two games I've platinum.

6. Unravel The girlfriend picked this one out and we played through it together. Mournful, bittersweet, and hopeful. Excellent soundtrack. Truly an unexpected gem.

5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey Solid open-world title. There is nothing bad about this game (constant prompts for romantic encounters notwithstanding). Still yet to complete.

4. The Last Guardian Another title I got to play through with the girlfriend. Started it last year and finished it this year after a long hiatus. Visually and emotionally evocative. Our next cat will probably be named Trico

3. Control Got this for Christmas and currently playing through it. Lots has already been said about this game but the thing that sticks out about for me is how refreshing it is to play a game with such a well realised female lead character that is not sexualised or diminished in any way. Still yet to complete.

2. Dark Souls Remastered Only the second From game I've played after a fraughtful experience with Bloodborne which I still haven't beaten. This game sucked me in and I felt I grasped its concepts much more quickly. I was able to play this game with competence and confidence and it became one of my most rewarding video game experiences.

1. Final Fantasy XIV (Shadowbringers) Almost 20 years ago I had sworn off MMOs completely after overcoming an addicting experience with Everquest. However, faced with a gaming lull a couple months before Christmas, I decided to check out the free trial and pretty much played it non-stop up until the beginning of the Stormblood expansion where I've taken a break to play my new christmas games. It can hardly be called an MMO as pretty much every negative quality associated with MMOs has been removed or alleviated in this game. Its gameplay has depth as well as its story and most important of all, it's as easy to pick up and put down as any single player game.

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 31, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't mean to be that guy, but I feel that the voting should extend longer than tonight. A lot of people b purchase a large chunk of gam s during Christmas sale and thus end up playing many if not a lionshare of that year's titles then.

Two of the games on my list I got for christmas last year.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m bummed that FF14 is so amazing now because there is no way I’m playing through leveling up in an MMO to experience the story.

You level up as you play the story. It's not really a MMO in the typical sense. It's much more a single player game but with multiplayer content. If you're just playing to experience the story then theres literally zero leveling grind

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Three games i voted for ended up not making the top 75. I can be pretty proud of that I think