Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wow, that OP. What a service you've done us, thank you, Rarity :) :love:

----

5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Another kickstarter game hitting the scene that honestly has no right to be this good! Up front I should note that SOTN is my favorite game ever, and the very idea of trying to follow it up at all is kind of a tall order. I respect Bloodstained because it doesn't really pretend that it can outclass SOTN at its own game, it just focuses on paying homage and blowing the dust off what is already a perfected formula. A lot of talent from the original SOTN team returns to mix anime, vampires, and hardcore synth-rock once more into a wild, old-school concoction...the result is nostalgic, huge, fun, colorful, and challenging. Now where's my DLC!?

4. Death Stranding

Holy poo poo it's so refreshing to play a Kojima game that isn't bound by the demands of franchise. The amount of creativity and novelty here is just wonderful. Death Stranding is equal parts boredom and panic attack, movie and physics puzzle, carefree thought experiment and focused environmentalist meditation. Unlike many open world games I can actually stand playing it, assuming I'm in the right mood, and often I'm just in awe of Kojima's unique blend of drug-trip ideas buttoned up in fancy silicon valley smooth tech. While I can see why Death Stranding is divisive, it certainly is a bit overstuffed and cumbersome at times (both thematically and mechanically), but even in its most hamfisted moments it's such an earnest, unusual, and hopeful exploration of the possibilities of its medium and the interior of crazy mind. Kojima's best game since MGS3.

3. Rainbow 6: Siege (Year 4 : 400+ hours :psyduck:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJVCmPmQR0

https://giant.gfycat.com/RapidImaginaryAvians.mp4

No game occupied more of my time this year than Siege. Learning the intricacies of this loving thing almost became a second job for me in early spring, and a bit of a grind, too. Stubborn as I am I had to get my $15 worth out of the original purchase price and unlock the rest of the characters through just gameplay, and boy did that take some focus and patience. It was so worth it. The sheer amount of ongoing content and entertainment that Siege provides me month after month is intimidating. The complexity of this thing and the technology that it's built on is so loving interesting, it's like a puzzle that I'll never fully figure out, but there are always new skill plateaus to aim for and the free content keeps coming, season after season. A lifestyle game for the ages that I've even managed to lure my friends into, it's the best tactical shooter ever and tied with Titanfall 2 for my favorite FPS of all time. Siege is a phenomenon, a brilliantly realized and tightly balanced game of cat+mouse, a fantastic spectator sport, an addiction, an occasionally dubious propaganda and cross-promotion platform, and an all around drat fine videogame.

2. Control

Control pokes that deeply paranoid spot nagging the back of my brain in a way that's so comforting, so stimulating, and so mysterious...that I never really want it to end. And so far, to my delight it hasn't. With the new season pass content coming and the little tweaks and updates trickling out in patches...The Oldest House continues to expand recklessly, to fill out redacted details of a world that encompasses the mythologies and storytelling flavors of all past Remedy games, and continues their legacy of careening action amid meticulously detailed, often strange satirical takes on our own reality. In the age of Epstein, of crypto, of real and tangible material/ideological struggle against age old power, no other game this year (or any year) has so successfully attempted to open and examine the insane entrails of bureaucracy in the corporate state, or lay bare the tattered, interconnected patchwork of pragmatic cold-war sickness that has allowed the elite to alienate us for so long. It's also a game that delivers on the lost promise of physics systems in games being huge, interactive AND beautiful. This is what future tech looks like, and it's playable today. Control is dark, funny, bombastic, cathartic, paranoid, and deeply, irrevocably political. But most of all, Control is y o u r s and it's d y n a m i t e

1. : Shadows Die Twice

It came down to engagement with mechanics, as it usually does for me. Control had the edge on atmosphere (which is pretty wild since it was going up against FROM) and arguably I could say that Control's ideas are a bit more profound and politically engaging in our conspiratorial age...but where Control reveled in chaos blowing poo poo every which way, Sekiro honed its storytelling and vision of interactivity into a diamond of focus, held its breath and executed without hesitation, without submission or compromise to the whims of a larger community, contemporary design trends, without huge day 1 balance patches, without any form of multiplayer, or lootbox, or microtransaction, or even DLC...and honestly, in some ways Sekiro feels more like a game from the early 00s, tested in advance so thoroughly because they knew they had to get it right the first time.

Not only that but Sekiro shows FROM delivering in specific ways that may have been considered outside of their range up until now, since very few people expected this small studio to be creating such a mechanically dense and extremely responsive combat engine. Surely some eyebrows must've raised at Capcom & Platinum this year as FROM, a studio known for environmental storytelling, fatrolling, and flavortext delivered the most finely tuned swordclashing combat ever seen. On top of that is a surprisingly complex and ambiguous story about principle, corruption, and dueling political ideologies in a changing world, a story that meditates on the kind of legacy we're going to leave the youth of this world after we're gone. I found it touching, stoic, tragic, bizarre and pretty badass. Sekiro excels at choosing the terms of engagement and performance for the player with utmost precision, then delivering calculated reward on those terms at levels both micro and macro. Mixed together with such a unique, weird, and remarkably personal interpretation of Japanese history and mythology, it deftly swipes the credential of GOAT sengoku ninja game, as well as my personal GOTY. Long live the Masochistic Psychogamers!

honorable mentions/revived love affairs/poo poo I bought but didn't play enough of (thanks a lot loving Siege :argh:)

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Titanfall 2
Celeste: farewell DLC
The Last of Us: Factions
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dandara
Thumper

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cmon people: POSTS LISTS :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

We're all one big family here. All a union would do is bring division into the thread.

lol

please watch this explanatory video Waiting for a Superman it will tell you how to be a part of a team and avoid predatory union BOSSES :smuggo:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

I invite you all to take some time from your posting to watch this informative training video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQeGBHxIyHw

Now get back to posting, you dogs! :argh:

This makes me so loving angry, I'm gonna hulk the gently caress out in front of this thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's really good but also be aware it's enormous by metroidvania standards

enormously hollow :mmmhmm:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

y'all need to add more games or none of your poo poo counts to the tally :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat Disco Elysium gonna take top spot in this poo poo handily; can't wait to play it on my old creaky pauperstation next year SIXTH YEAR OF ACTIVE DUTY :japan:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Y'all gonna make me play Sekiro even though I'm supremely bad at Darkblood games :saddowns:

Bloodsouls.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Demonbournes.

:drat:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

covert punchmans lingo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity is a loving gem.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

We have now listed over 250 games :toot:

lookin like a bunch of work for the worker's party!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sekirowns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Evil Uno has flouted the rules by refusing to rank his list in order! Therefore his entry can only be deemed null and void!

:yeshaha:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

UNIONISE!

SHOTGUN!

POST LISTS!

HURRY

HURRY

THERE'S NO TIME

THERE'S NO TIME

THERE'S NO TIME

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

You can consider my bad posting as a 'surprise mechanic'.

my bad posting is a quicktime event.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I eat crunch (bars) for breakfast!

with THAT underbite I can certainly believe it!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

abortions for SOME, miniature fun-size crunch bars for OTHERS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

How can one game bump off two others on its own? :thunkher:

maybe ask Tim Rogers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Love to see oldiegoodies like Shatter and FTL make a few lists.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Darke GBF posted:

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Sekiro is my game of the year because it is a meaningful evolution of a formula that From Software has been using for nearly a decade. I had gotten so unbelievably bored of the Souls formula. Every game plays the same. Wait for boss to swing, dodge roll through the damage abusing invincibility frames, hit them once or twice, and then do it again. Over and over and over, every goddamn boss, even most of the fodder follows this method, and it was wearing thin. Sekiro is the next step, and it's brilliant both how simple and effective the switch is. In order to avoid everything an enemy can throw at you, you need to have mastered three skills instead of just one. You can't just dodge everything - you need to actually pay attention and watch what your enemy is doing so you know whether to use rock, paper or scissors.

The Genichiro fight midway through the game might be the most fun I've ever had with a From boss, and the other fight that takes place in that tower arena is also incredible because you're basically fighting against someone who has all your skills and is fighting to counter you (the first time I got Mikiri countered in that fight blew my loving mind). Sekiro contains no fewer than 3 of the 10 best bosses From has ever made, and at least two of them crack my personal top five. I love this game for forcing me out of my comfort zone and back to a state of play where I'm a beginner again. Playing Sekiro at times was a very similar experience to my first run of Dark Souls. I think that's why it's so divisive. Some people really hate being kicked back down the ladder and having to regain their competence. Plenty of people out there would be content if all From Software ever made was more Dark Souls. Sekiro made me realize that From isn't content to just keep churning out the same product with a different coat of paint. They can innovate, they can be creative, and that makes me excited to see what they do next. Even if it fails, something new will almost always have more value than something old with a new face. I hope they keep trying, even if not every attempt is successful. Sekiro wasn't perfect, but it was definitely successful.

Thank you for articulating this so well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HNY EVERY 1 VOTING CLOSED GAS THREAD GOLDMINE THREAD TALLY VOTES BLAME POSTS BAN GOONS GIVE AWARDS READ THREADS GO HOMES PLAY GAMES

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy fuk such uncontrollable excitement

forget E3.

SA75

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEwqikBfrA&t=206s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's literally the only game that has ever had such a turnaround at the time. No Man's Sky and Battlefront 2 have followed suite though.

And Siege, a game that very few people fully appreciated at launch and many had declared dead (or headed for f2p), which is now an esport and has 45million players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AQtI4iTD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHfD1B78G0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

When are these results supposed to get posted? What am I not paying you for?!

Tomorrow, all day marathon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Tomorrow starting 2pm GMT, 9am EST. This countdown doesn't just appear without any effort, you know!

All your unpaid labour is to our profit! :yeshaha:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4hPQzbKnU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Just woke up. Read thread. Posting hype in the top 10! :woop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

was so sure those quotes for Bloodstained were actually for Control

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

If I'd taken all the votes for the separate FFXIV sections as one game it would still have come in at #8

wow, I got a totally different impression reading the thread over December...but I guess that's why I pray at the altar of Rarity

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Considering how divisive it can be I'd be really happy if Sekiro made the top 5 :3:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Considering how divisive it can be I'd be really happy if Sekiro made the top 5 :3:

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/yq21cJZ.mp4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

The game that managed to take the 4th place spot beat out Fire Emblem by just two points :derp:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thread is incredibly good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's only barely a metroidvania, it's a set of freely explorable maps gated by collectible keycards to open doors and one (1) traversal power. There's also only one route from any one map to any other (a central elevator that all the floors share) so I think purists would rule it out.

But you should still be excited to play it because it's really good regardless of what labels you do or do not stick on it.

It's not a metroidvania, it's a metroid prime-like. There's no VANIA in Control at all. It's not a 2D game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I literally can't believe Sekiro made #2