Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gonna write/vote something later, just wanted to say thank you for this amazing thread, that op is killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Still making my list, but Ninja is trash. He spent the past years leading up to his mixer deal openly being a jealous child to Lupo and Tim, because they blew up and he ”made them.” If he's not using his platform to bully better players than him, he's apologizing for others gamer moments or complaining about sub numbers. And he's afraid of women and until publicly dragged, wouldn't stream with them. Considering the top 20 streaming earners are roughly 100% male, the whole worried about rumors excuse is poor, unless his marriage is incredibly unstable and\or he's already got a history.

Ok back to good posts about video games

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

They literally took back their apology, you're apologizing for people who could give 2 shits. Gamers i loving swear

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 16, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

they're not about hate,

gently caress yourself and stop posting, this thread and especially the OP deserve better than this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

What is that supposed to mean? You don't know me, there's nothing hateful or negative about me. I'm not a bad guy, and you're being a jerk. People can make up their own mind about some indie video game and whether or not to boycott the dev.

You're ascribing your fan fiction to a group of people who went out of their way to ”protect” their rights to hate. It's not even naivete, because it's the year 2019, and a corporation punching down, the titular feelbad situation, and then doubling down doesn't need your forgiveness.

You keep trying position yourself as brave for your devil advocacy, but they're gonna be ok even if an infinitesimal thread on the internet is pointing out how full of poo poo they are. Your services aren't needed here, you can take that poo poo to Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

10) I played a little bit of RDR2 at launch, and found myself spending more time watching than playing, and even playing wasn't that fun with how restrictive it was structured. Recently tried Red Dead Online and it was everything I wanted from the actual game, unrestricted gameplay but with a sense of story to keep me going.

9) While folks pine for the return of Jedi Academy lightsaber battles, Boreal Blade quietly came out this year to satiate that need. The switch version uses gyro controls to match it's PC counterpart via cross-play, complementing satisfying sword mechanics with a decent progression system that unlocks new weapons. Art style is a bit rough, but allows for a nice contrast when the blood begins to flow.

8) The NESflix rewind feature has allowed me to do the impossible, finally complete Super Mario Bros, the only game I finished this year. It was nice being able to go through the game that started it all, but that second half is a drag. Just repeated levels that seem to get shorter in spots save for the dumb castles,(did one of them really have to be infinite?). And the last Bowser fight is only hard because his fireball spam wrecks the FPS.

7) Living on the wrong side of the world to be a fan (gently caress 4am kick-offs), Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 really hits the sweet spot between game and reality. The Sports game genre has the hard task of making its players feel like a pro without being bogged down by game mechanics or physical strength. A majority of this falls on the AI, how they react to the player, the field and the objective of said game. In many games, the difficulty is in discovering and manipulating the AIs flaws. PES2019's AI is top notch, making runs when and where you expect, and making the necessary passes and shots when required.

With single player focused career modes, like PES's Be A Legend mode, you can worry even less about team management and just focus on being a great footballer. This is when the AI really shines, especially in the early goings of the career when you're still a stat scrub but the game requires you to play above your weight.

I didn't think anything of this until the gamepass dropped PES2019 in favor of 2020. I was excited as my only complaint in 19 was a lack of customization of the player mode camera. Not only did 2020 not add anything to the mode, it downgraded the AI, which now never fights for possessions, quits on its runs and can't even send a decent pass. I'm now actively looking for digital copies of 2019, but Konami Konami'd and wiped all the 2019 keys they could find. :capitalism:

6) Whenever I want to just mash some buttons, I boot up Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. This may seem like not the biggest endorsement, but I feel that's the core of successful games like looter shooters, beat em ups and dungeon crawlers. I'm not a fan of the MCU, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the game doesn't lean on that and is more just about ”canon” scenarios of getting your favorites in a room to smash. Almost every character has their own moveset and feel, with the synergies giving a real reason to try new characters. It's nice mashing the buttons, but team ninja has added wrinkles to the move sets, which are fun to discover and master. The perfect podcast game.

5) Much like it's predecessor, The Wonderful 101, Astral Chain will be overshadowed by lesser fair, because of its mechanical intricacies and unabashed Anime-ness. https://gfycat.com/importantacclaimedgannet (sound up)

Much like TW101, Astral Chain is a slow burn of mechanics, asking you to dig into the game and slowly come to grips with the multiple tools at your command. But where as TW101, and the character action genre at large, are content to set the pace at a constant, Astral Chain attempts to fill-in the standard treasure hunts for items and secrets fights with a little more meaning. In game terms this means you role play as an anime cop, complete with talking dog sidekick, recycling cans and using your slave ghost robots to maim unruly citizens into compliance. The only reason I stopped playing it was because I stopped playing it. The games intricate and fully customizable controls come at a muscle memory cost, especially coming off other character action games, so any lengthy breaks, and you’re back to the tutorial to figure out the zandatsu mode again. Don’t be surprised if I list this again in 2020.

4) They turned Tetris into a battle royale, and drat if Tetris 99 isn’t one of the best BRs on the market. Always been a casual tetris player, actually I bet that’s a majority of the gaming populace, and 99 was the fire I needed to want to learn the rules of the game. I’ve yet to win a game, but every game feels like progress and it’s exhilarating just knocking someone else.

3) I spent two weeks watching a streamer voice act their Disco Elysium playthrough, where they actively neglected the main storyline and ruined my future Outer Worlds playthrough. The level of reactivity to the choices made was astounding, the art just supplemental enough to tie everything together with some personality,. I’ll write more in my 2020 ballot.

2) The kings of the first person shooter are back with Apex Legends, revolutionizing the BR genre and how we communicate in shooters going forward. The game is everything you want from a Respawn production, fantastic movement and gun feel with great map design that allows every drop to feel like a new experience. And how about that character diversity?

1) No matter what game I played, how much damage I did, if I won or not, none of it felt as good as a 10 minute Ring Fit Adventure session. This year I lost 60+ pounds over the course of a couple months due to a lot of stress and a high intensity job. It’s now been 6 months since that job, and not only have I not blown back up, I’ve gotten smaller and firmer, all thanks to RFA. I do maintain a decent diet, and carbs are a thing I try to avoid, though not as much as I should, but the game has been the supplemental aerobics I need.

When I first started, my fiancee was annoyed because I was playing the game more than going to the gym with her, and we had a little argument over what’s the difference between the two. A big part of it is the opportunity cost, I can roll out of bed and be playing RFA in 5 minutes, while the gym means putting on suitable clothes, going somewhere and coming back. But I’ve done personal trainers and instructors and there’s something more assuring about the joy con strap giving you a visual of your posture and scoring you based on making it better, rather than someone eyeballing and spotting you, maybe the lack of visual disappointment in the trainer’s face has something to do with it? On top of this, the game isn’t just telling you to do exercises, the campaign has you doing things like rowing, and controlling carts that also serve as exercises while brilliantly forcing you to outperform yourself for the sake of catching up to a floating gold coin. The single player is beautifully camp and lengthy to where you can play for 30minutes a day for months and not see the end.

But you really feel the game when you stop playing, you feel stronger, sleep better, and I have a clear conscious as if I did something. I’m sure this is the same as with regular exercise, but with RFA its got multiple pulls besides just feeling healthier, like whats the next exercise I unlock, will Drageaux and Ring just gently caress and make up already, who the gently caress invented planks and why?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 31, 2019