Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been a slow year for games for me, but I played some stuff.

5: Forager
Forager's a cute little indie game that apparently has been really successful which is good because it's a fun time for the short period you'll spend with it. It's a crafting/exploration game that rapidly becomes an idler/clicker once you get to automating everything, and you buy plots of land(extra islands) to explore/add new stuff to craft or farm. It's cheap and'll keep you addicted for about 10-15 hours maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2suWX2dMKQ&hd=1

4: No Man's Sky: Beyond
They've really worked magic with No Man's Sky. I'm sure I don't need to regale the tale of its release and Sean Murray's "things he wanted to put in the game, stated as if they were already there". At launch, I enjoyed it well enough, as a relaxing exploration game. They've dramatically changed it since then, revamping entire models like the space combat, adding freighter fleets with ships you can buy and send on missions to get resources and cash, base building, multiplayer, a fairly robust storyline, a bunch more world types(though they really need to improve the base worldgen imo), added WAY more building stuff, 7 types of ground vehicles including a hovercraft that can launch literally into the stratosphere if you ramp off a mountain well enough, significantly improved the graphics and creature generation as far as I've seen, and they just added a complete music synthesizer system to the game apropos of nothing. The game still has plenty of issues, for sure, but it has been DRAMATICALLY improved in a way few games are compared to the release version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM7ArMxUFR0&hd=1

3: Dicey Dungeons
This is a recent one. I saw it on so many GOTY lists that I decided to pick it up, it's only ten bucks or so right now on sale. Great game, it's a semi-deckbuilder that uses dice to power your equipment. The art is cute, nothing to write home about, the mechanics vary wildly between characters(there are six, maybe more to choose from), it's constantly throwing new gameplay styles at you and it's great. I bought it last week and already have like 12 hours in it, I've cleared a single character's path, the first quest of the other 5, and just got to quest 3 on the Jester's route. It's very good, cheap, I have to say it's a must-buy. Each run is pretty short too, I don't think any quest has lasted more than 30 minutes, whether I beat it or died trying.

Oh, and the music is FANTASTIC, check out this loving fight music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGL5m0qWzWA

2: Minecraft - Lost In The Woods Renaissance
Minecraft's a mainstay for me, every year. I always go back to it, in various modded forms. Whether it be Terrafirmacraft, the maybe too-realistic-for-its-own-good with cave-in physics, sifting for materials, literally chipping away at small rocks to make heads for tools, etc, it was a great time...until my save got corrupted and my backup was like 50 hours prior and I gave up. But instead, I've been consistently working on a single map in Life In The Woods Renaissance, an immense modpack that bolsters an older version of Minecraft Java with 80+ new biomes, thousands of new blocks and items, a robust cooking system, beekeeping, a really, really nice shader system, tons of stuff. It's compatible with a lot of older mods too so you can add in extra stuff like teleports, waypoints, map systems, etc. Minecraft is my GOAT easy, probably put 10,000 hours into the thing since it first came out. An hour or two a day is a great way to relax after work while my muscles cool off, and LITW:R adds so much more to that relaxation.

some screenshots:

edit: apparently the shaders for Minecraft - Life In The Woods Renaissance aren't available online anymore so here's a mediafire page with them, dump'em in the LITWR folder, under the repository subfolder, under thirdparty and you should be good to go. please let me know if this link breaks or something: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndjb4rsbm182btw/shaders_maybe.rar/file

some tips about LITWR's shaders, cheat menu etc as well, taken from a PM I had with another goon:

The shaders really do incredible things to the atmosphere of the game. only problem is, well, you'll probably see it when you find a large body of water. something about the "reflections" on the water get completely hosed up and like, display torchlight reflections a mile long at night, etc.

I'm gonna say, just turn the shaders off entirely when in the nether. it's cool for atmosphere and all that, but it really, incredibly sucks to actually play with the shaders on in the nether due to how lighting actually works in the nether, and there's only lava, glowstone or torches for light sources and never any daylight, and emanated light from torches and such does not reach as far. it might snap you out of it a bit, but it's so much less tedious especially with all the extra things LITW adds to the nether. I think the shaders just straight up break and show a black screen when you try to load up a game while in the nether, and you have to turn them off anyways, actually.

but yeah, they're really amazing for making things much more atmospheric. I recommend turning on the cheat menu as well, it's in the upper left corner of the second screenshot in my post, and enable Magnet Items at all times. It sucks up every loose item within like a 20 block radius, which is just a quality of life change(anything moving through fire/lava still gets destroyed), you can switch to or outright disable specific times of day, or just have it daytime at all times, turn on/off rain, turn on creative mode on a whim, refill your health, etc. I say always have the menu available because I definitely had multiple instances of, like, falling through the world, getting stuck inside terrain, bugged enemies hitting me through walls, that sort of thing, so it's a good idea to have it as a get-out-of-broken-bullshit button.

1: Indivisible

I was really looking forward to Indivisible for years, and while the final product is not yet "complete"(they're adding another like 10 playable characters) and the game has some serious issues that they've said they'll be fixing(certain unbalanced enemies, the map is hosed), I absolutely loved my time with this game. It's a southern asian-styled metroidvania with Valkyrie Profile-style combat, hand drawn and animated by the Skullgirls team. The artwork and animations, as expected, are gorgeous and extremely active. The story, while in many cases fairly standard coming of age/hero's journey, does some really surprising things by the end of it. And the music, the music is outstanding, with a wide variety from sombre tones for sad moments to Big drat Heroes styled music when you team up with not-Kamen Rider to stop a drug lord atop his dance club skyscraper. I 100%'d the game and absolutely do not regret it. I will say that it's quite a bit longer than one might expect from a metroidvania, I 100%'d it at around 25 hours. Also, Razmi is easily the best new character in games this year. She's sorceress Daria.

Because they got the funding high enough for the indiegogo, Trigger and Titmouse animation studios made the intro for the game, and it's quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08y7_AFygU&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
going to edit this into my list above as well due to requests about it, apparently the shaders for Minecraft - Life In The Woods Renaissance aren't available online anymore so here's a mediafire page with them, dump'em in the LITWR folder, under the repository subfolder, under thirdparty and you should be good to go. please let me know if this link breaks or something: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndjb4rsbm182btw/shaders_maybe.rar/file

some tips about LITWR's shaders, cheat menu etc as well, taken from a PM I had with another goon:

The shaders really do incredible things to the atmosphere of the game. only problem is, well, you'll probably see it when you find a large body of water. something about the "reflections" on the water get completely hosed up and like, display torchlight reflections a mile long at night, etc.

I'm gonna say, just turn the shaders off entirely when in the nether. it's cool for atmosphere and all that, but it really, incredibly sucks to actually play with the shaders on in the nether due to how lighting actually works in the nether, and there's only lava, glowstone or torches for light sources and never any daylight, and emanated light from torches and such does not reach as far. it might snap you out of it a bit, but it's so much less tedious especially with all the extra things LITW adds to the nether. I think the shaders just straight up break and show a black screen when you try to load up a game while in the nether, and you have to turn them off anyways, actually.

but yeah, they're really amazing for making things much more atmospheric. I recommend turning on the cheat menu as well, it's in the upper left corner of the second screenshot in my post, and enable Magnet Items at all times. It sucks up every loose item within like a 20 block radius, which is just a quality of life change(anything moving through fire/lava still gets destroyed), you can switch to or outright disable specific times of day, or just have it daytime at all times, turn on/off rain, turn on creative mode on a whim, refill your health, etc. I say always have the menu available because I definitely had multiple instances of, like, falling through the world, getting stuck inside terrain, bugged enemies hitting me through walls, that sort of thing, so it's a good idea to have it as a get-out-of-broken-bullshit button.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sanitary Naptime posted:

and I really enjoyed the soundtrack on this one.

Worth noting the best track in the game, isn't even in the game. It's the track that plays during the E3 trailer, it's powerful as hell, and the way it builds into the iconic zelda theme gives me chills every time. The trailer is one of my favorites of all time because of it and how it blends together with the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE&hd=1

Man its so loving good!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just watched it again, I've put 300 hours into BOTW and basically 100%'d it besides the 900 korok seeds because gently caress that, and that trailer makes me want to go back and start a new file all over again. What a glorious game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the rules on ties? I assume we would need to cap out at 10 titles regardless but what if we feel a game must receive the same number of points as another

Fight to the death

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have zero doubt BOTW2 is going to be dungeon-focused, especially considering how the one searing criticism of the game near-universally was how bland, lifeless, and generally awful the four major dungeon beasts were. I didn't hate them but they were absolutely barebones compared to most zelda dungeons.

really wondering what is going on in the BOTW2 trailer with Hyrule Castle just straight up lifting up, is it going full Castle In The Sky, or maybe just lifting to unleash even more forgotten corrupted Sheika tech?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rarity posted:

Please drink responsibily

Anyway. First, a couple of housekeeping bits. professor metis, I'm not sure what order you wanted the Atelier trilogy scored in. I've gone with Rorona = 8 pts, Totori = 7 pts, Meruru = 6 pts so let me know if you'd like it differently! And Foodchain, there is no way you're getting away with listing two games in the same spot. I've allocated your points to RDR2, NMH2 and SMG2 respectively so if you'd prefer different please say so!

But that aside, friends, I'm afraid that is it! Voting is now officially closed! Thank you to everyone who submitted their very thoughtful and considered lists (and also Relax Or DIE) for making this thread a huge success. I'm now going to take these lists and crank those numbers and I'll be back on Friday 3rd January at 2:00pm GMT/9:00am EST for the live results reveal including a full countdown of the top 75! Cancel your plans everybody, this is going to be an all-day affair!

And remember, UNIONISE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I had made a list of games I watched the most of this year, it'd definitely be smash ultimate

Alpharad makes a whole lotta funny smash bros videos

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rarity posted:

So as noted earlier I'm always going to win the Biggest Hipster award cause of my weird gaming habits so if I was out of contention the next person in line for the prize would have been Captain Invictus who's highest ranked pick was Indivisible at #51.
Yep that's me, that's what they call me!

And I don't think indivisible was a hit at all, there's basically no fanart which is usually a decent gauge of a game's popularity, especially one tailor-made for fanart like indivisible is. Like, there's not even that much fanart of Razmi, the best new character of 2019. It's such a shame, it's a wonderful game. But maybe in Cassandra-like fashion, lab zero is cursed to make wonderful games that nobody plays

Maybe after they add all the playable guest characters (shovel knight of course, shantae, a bunch of other indie darlings, I think hollow knight too) as well as the backer characters, and it comes out on switch, hopefully more people will give it a go. At least I hope folks in this thread wishlist it for pickup later, it's a wonderful game with wonderful characters, writing, voice acting, music, and megaman x-styled platforming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lordfrikk posted:

For what it's worth your post made me put Indivisible on my soon-to-play list whereas before it wasn't even on my radar. The protagonist sounds dope and the art style is just amazing.
thanks, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Ajna is a hot mess of a person and I kinda like that about her. She's a tomboyish, impulsive meathead, and a huge fuckup, wanting to do the right thing but also constantly ruining carefully laid plans or walking into traps because she's right and nobody can tell her otherwise. The game has problems, I won't lie, but I endured them because I loved everything else about it.

It's hard to find gifs so I made one. This video has audio of the first gif and it's super good to see his reaction to the moves, but close it after he exits the training fight
https://giant.gfycat.com/OddBlaringCanadagoose.webm

also, check this music, it's the theme of Naga Rider, and is absurdly heroic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Ai-2sVh1A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wuggles posted:

Indivisible was on my list too. Haven’t finished it yet, but great little game. Once the world map opens up how many hours would you say are left?
You are about a third of the way through the game. Maybe a quarter. The character sidequests(loyalty mission style) near the end of the game, which I found mostly good even if they use existing assets, are generally great story and character building stuff and can add an extra few hours to the end of the game, so if you do those too, you're about a quarter through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

I remember a bunch of Skullgirls fans got super mad that the Indivisible devs said it wasn't going to be as horny, did they stick to that or cave in.
Much less blatant than Skullgirls. Thorani and Yan are pretty much it(and Yan is straight up a night club dancer), the rest of the cast is not bouncing out of their clothing. Phoebe is a gladiator. Well, I almost forgot, Ren is...Ren, I guess. But for the most part, very much toned down from Skullgirls-level stuff.

here is an image chart of all the non-guest playable Indivisible characters(Antoine and Sangmu are not in yet).

I like that they came up with the idea for Tungar but couldn't figure out a way to work him into the story very well but kept him in the game anyways. He's a stocky dude with a turban that has an odd ornament on the front of it, but it turns out it's a SWORD HILT AND HIS TURBAN IS A FOLDED-UP WHIP-SWORD HELL YEAH

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in one of his alternate color schemes, he makes a very good wario :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ms Adequate posted:

I just saw Latigo in that linked image and is my man toting a motherfucking gunblade?!

Finally, FF8's greatest element is getting recognition.
gun-swords have been around a bit longer than you may think. His is a revolver sword, and you can use five of the six chambers, with the last bullet saved for his traitorous squad leader when he finds him. Followup spoiler: When you do eventually finish that storyline, it opens up all six chambers to use

here's his tier 3 super keyframe animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
will be interesting to see how many votes MHW: Iceborne gets on the 2020 list after the PC version comes out

man it's out in FOUR DAYYSSSSSSSS YESSSSSS

I've stayed almost entirely blind, I'm so excited