Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

10. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - While the transition to f2p has not been completely smooth, and the inherent flaws of the game remain into its third year, I found myself drawn to the new expansion. This was a great point to return having missed nearly a year of content, and while it's unlikely the season model will maintain the same level of my attention for the coming year the bones of this game and its shooting mechanics remain rock solid.

9. Deep Rock Galactic - The co-op space mining shooter remains a staple for unwinding with friends, and has seen some significant content drops as it continues in early access.

8. Katana Zero - Relentlessly stylish and engaging despite its short runtime. Approaching each encounter as a dynamic puzzle is hardly new but executed with aplomb and a pulsing retro soundtrack.

7. Outer Worlds - Never reaches the heights of New Vegas but scratches a similar itch with a fun mishmash of influences on the art direction. Ultimately makes me excited for this team to continue to iterate and experiment with original single player RPGs.

6. Earth Defense Force 5 - The long running B-movie alien invasion simulator series is in top form this iteration, delivering the expected schlock and shooting alongside refinements to the way each class feels and plays. The shotguns of the Ranger rank with any of the most satisfying in games, and there's little quite like calling in apocalyptic airstrikes (often on your teammates) as the Air Raider. This game is all about scale, and it delivers.

5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - There are many minecraft clones, but none that offer the tileset, mechanics, enemy variety, and systems of DQB2. If you could optionally unlock the meat of the co-op building on your private island without completing more of the charming but overlong story, its rank would probably be higher. Despite this, building businesses, homes and farms that your villagers actually use offers a level of engagement I don't get from similar offerings, with Dragon Quest trappings and art design wrapping it all together.

4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Adding the school management layer to the usual string of combat encounters paces out the game in a way I personally found appealing. While many of the students and their stories play on usual tropes, teaching, equipping, and directing them in battle added a level of investment that helped carry the streamlined tactical combat mechanics.

3. Risk of Rain 2 - Streamlined and addictive, this co-op roguelike shooter has all the right elements of enemy and item design to sustain 40+ minute runs. Making decisions on the fly with your build and collaborating with your friends who are definitely not buying that one perfect item you desperately need provides the strategic frosting on the cake of dynamic gunplay.

2. Katamari Damacy Reroll - Released in 2018 and a remaster at that - but what can I say, I deeply love this classic and its amazing soundtrack. It's a joy to return to time and again.

1. Control - Remedy blew me away with their world building and environmental design in Control. They've taken themes and mechanics built in previous outings like Alan Wake and Quantum Break and combined them with the best of a bevvy of influences (including personal favorite the Southern Reach trilogy) into a compelling and intriguing package. A refined and at times inventive third person shooter is totally elevated by a setting that manages to advances its own narrative without destroying any vestige of dread or mystery. I hope we can return to the Oldest House, but either way I'm excited for whatever Remedy is working on next.

Mentions: Valkyria Chronicles 4 almost made the list but didn't quite manage. Division 2 didn't grab me for the endgame, which may be more my fault than its own. Pokemon Sword had some good music going for it, I suppose? And I've bought but haven't yet played Disco Elysium - I'm excited to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU