Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best way to travel?
Planes are the best and most efficient means of travel
I don't do planes because I have some weird hangup about passing through security
I don't do planes because I like to see the country and take forever
I don't do planes because I <checks gokupedia> use my ki energy to fly
View Results

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clean clothes are not a necessity clamors the goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need room for my gaming laptop and consoles for when I get to my destination anyway.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Learn to travel with just a backpack so you don’t have to pay for carry ons. Versatile outfits and layers are key. You don’t need that much poo poo really.

The only time you should check your bags is if you are going somewhere for 2 weeks or more.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chinatown posted:

The only time you should check your bags is if you are going somewhere for 2 weeks or more.

Did Europe for 3 months out of a backpack. If you need a suit or some fancy clothes then sure but otherwise na you can probably get by

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

George H.W. oval office posted:

Did Europe for 3 months out of a backpack. If you need a suit or some fancy clothes then sure but otherwise na you can probably get by
yeah if you're travelling to multiple cities instead of a simple stay at one place, a good decent-sized hiking backpack is all you should carry. trying to carry more than 1 bag (esp wheelie bags) onto trains, buses, up stairs and various hostels or w/e is just loving nightmareish.

all european cities have wash&dry cafes where you can sit and wash poo poo while ordering a coffee or alcohol + use their internet. or just any ol' wash & dry place works where you throw it in and do anything else for an hr. some hostels might have them as well. you can wear pants and decent long-sleeves for several days at a time assuming you have packed enough socks/underwear and undershirts to change out daily which are considerably lighter--it's very easy to pack a solid 5-days of clothes with a compression sack into a backpack with plenty of room for a laptop/camera and whatever else you need.

if you're just going to one place and can easily take a taxi/train to your hotel and thats your base of operations for however long, yeah sure do checked bags or multiple carry-ons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

multiple carry-ons.

This should be a capital crime.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

re: bringing alcohol on planes

If y'all aren't bringing a Dasani bottle full of vodka, I dunno what to tell you. That was the only thing keeping me sane during my first cross-country flight.

That said, my only other tip is also one of my favorite flying stories:

When I was in college, my university offered a summer trip/class to their marine biology lab in Jamaica, which was housed in a small, re-purposed hotel that acted as dorm rooms. So room, board, flights, AND college credit to snorkle all day learning about marine life, and smoke weed all night? It was the best two weeks of my life. They also set up some touristy things like climbing the falls at Ocho Rios, going to to street markets to buy trinkets (and in my case a ton of weed for like $2.00 USD), touring the Appleton Rum distillery, etc.

The night before we were to fly back, there was a party. Being a school-funded party, the punch was non-alcoholic. One of my weed-smoking buddies and I scampered off to his room to blaze. He had gone on the rum tour and bought a four-pack of bottles. But he'd heard that you could only bring three bottles back through customs, so we'd better make use of this 4th bottle now! We kept re-filling our cups with the "dry" punch, then sneaking off to glug more rum in it. I proceed to get plowed, and at one point squinted at the bottle to see what proof it was. In Jamaica, I guess they don't have to put the proof on the label, because we couldn't find it anywhere.*

Next morning, we're up bright and early for a red-eye on Air Jamaica, and I have the worst hangover I can have ever had then, or since. After a fun time of waiting in lines in the un-airconditioned airport, we cram onto this hot, stuffy, smelly plane. I feel like refried dogshit and am praying for a nice quiet 5 hours back to NY.

Nnnnnnnnope, turns out an entire Jamaican football team is seated in the rows behind me. They were celebrating a victory and excited to be traveling to NYC, and scream and yell and jostle my seat the entire flight. Worse than the worst crying toddler experience you can imagine. Breakfast is served, and its ackee, which I enjoyed during my stay there but not in this condition. Oh, and this being the 90's, you could still smoke on Air Jamaica (no idea if that's changed), so I'm enjoying everyone's re-circulated Marlboro Reds.

That's the closest I've ever come close to puking on a plane, and a terrible bookend to what had been a magical trip.

*When I got back to the US and went to a liquor store for the first time since the trip, I found the Appleton rum we'd been drinking. 172 proof :stare: No loving wonder.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

This should be a capital crime.
:mrgw:

(i was actually talking about the typical large duffle bag/21-in wheelie carry-on + "personal item" that's really just a backpack/smaller duffel that you can barely stuff under your seat)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

re: bringing alcohol on planes

If y'all aren't bringing a Dasani bottle full of vodka, I dunno what to tell you.

Yeah flying in 1999 was great.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Where are people flying out of that you can have liquids over 3.5 oz in your carryon?! I buy and bring a bunch of those airplane vodka bottles from the local liquor store for less than a buck each and just bring those in my carry on and ask for a can of spicy tomato juice. No one has ever said anything to me at security or on the plane (although I do try to be at least somewhat discreet).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Duty free booze?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I've only ever gotten free drinks during international flights if I do first/business class. With economy I always have to pay.

This has been on Air Canada and Westjet though, so maybe it's different with american airlines.

Also with Westjet they paced out the drinks in a way that made it less likely to get someone drunk, so in the end I was just tired and irritable.

I'm based in Europe, and all international flights I've been on have served free food and snacks.
Depending on the airline, some will have free alcohol too. (cathay pacific, virgin atlantic)
Some nicer airlines will come around regularly offering you free junk food and ice creams etc. Other crappier airlines just leave a tray of crap in the galley and you gotta go help yourself. (air france, etihad)

I had the pleasure of flying business class once, and oh my god i felt like a king. Eating food off ceramic plates and glass champagne glasses. Having a lie flat seat and partition to get a proper sleep with a duvet.
Economy is suffering but honestly paying for business just isn't worth it considering you could get a week in a nice hotel for how much a 10 hour business class seat costs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zakharov posted:

Ah another thread where I get concerned about people whose advice boils down to "here's how to get hammered."

The long terms me tal and physical effects of being drunk vs dealing with people when jammed into a metal tube for 12 hours.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

mobby_6kl posted:

Duty free booze?

This is a thing that does not exist in many US airports due to local laws.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, of course there is no duty free stuff in intranational flights because normally countries do not charge duties upon itself. However surprised to learn that people actually obey no drinking on board rules if you manage to get that sweet alcohol on board. Whats to stop you from getting a can of pepsi and keep pouring rum into it? Even if flight attendants give a gently caress, they are busy and will not hover over your seat specifically to make sure you don't drink.

The Real Amethyst posted:

I'm based in Europe, and all international flights I've been on have served free food and snacks.
Depending on the airline, some will have free alcohol too. (cathay pacific, virgin atlantic)
Some nicer airlines will come around regularly offering you free junk food and ice creams etc. Other crappier airlines just leave a tray of crap in the galley and you gotta go help yourself. (air france, etihad)

I had the pleasure of flying business class once, and oh my god i felt like a king. Eating food off ceramic plates and glass champagne glasses. Having a lie flat seat and partition to get a proper sleep with a duvet.
Economy is suffering but honestly paying for business just isn't worth it considering you could get a week in a nice hotel for how much a 10 hour business class seat costs.

I don't know where you are based in Europe and where do you fly but they updated the regulation some years ago that they are not obliged to give you a meal anymore in flights less than 3 hours. Lufthansa and austrian taken it very literally and all you get in economy is a tiny pack of crackers. Which for instance gave some non-EU arilines a nice PR opportunity, which they use like "we know we don't HAVE to feed you but we wanna do it anyway" :3 And regardless of what people think about airline food which can differ from amazing to barely acceptable even a sandwich (but not goddamn crackers) is very welcome when you are hungry compared to overpriced airport hamburger while you worry if you'll make the connection or not. One redeeming feature of Lufthansa and Austrian is that they always have beer, which feels pretty interesting in high altitude/low pressure, whatever it is.

gently caress, Edit 2: as for actual tips, if you want to sleep and have a blanket lock your belt OVER the blanket before passing out. If you enter turbulence and captain lights the fasten belts sign, attendants have to make sure everyone is locked, including waking you up. If they see a locked belt, they'll leave you alone.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 14, 2019

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
This thread made me dream I was on an flight to Chicago via Athens and New Orleans. I had a bunk bed dorm like some lovely hostel and the planes were gigantic MD-12's (never produced). We crashed twice.

Sekenr posted:

Well, of course there is no duty free stuff in intranational flights because normally countries do not charge duties upon itself. However surprised to learn that people actually obey no drinking on board rules if you manage to get that sweet alcohol on board. Whats to stop you from getting a can of pepsi and keep pouring rum into it? Even if flight attendants give a gently caress, they are busy and will not hover over your seat specifically to make sure you don't drink.

I don't know where you are based in Europe and where do you fly but they updated the regulation some years ago that they are not obliged to give you a meal anymore in flights less than 3 hours. Lufthansa and austrian taken it very literally and all you get in economy is a tiny pack of crackers. Which for instance gave some non-EU arilines a nice PR opportunity, which they use like "we know we don't HAVE to feed you but we wanna do it anyway" :3 And regardless of what people think about airline food which can differ from amazing to barely acceptable even a sandwich (but not goddamn crackers) is very welcome when you are hungry compared to overpriced airport hamburger while you worry if you'll make the connection or not. One redeeming feature of Lufthansa and Austrian is that they always have beer, which feels pretty interesting in high altitude/low pressure, whatever it is.

gently caress, Edit 2: as for actual tips, if you want to sleep and have a blanket lock your belt OVER the blanket before passing out. If you enter turbulence and captain lights the fasten belts sign, attendants have to make sure everyone is locked, including waking you up. If they see a locked belt, they'll leave you alone.

I said international. The only domestic EU flights I've been on that have given out free sandwiches and snacks were CityJet and Aeroflot.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Amethysts list of comfortable aircraft (ymmv depending on airline)
A330
A380
ATR72/42
Sukhoi Superjet 100

Amethysts list of uncomfortable pieces of poo poo. (no exceptions)
AVRO-RJ 146
EMB-190

Thanks for listening.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah flying in 1999 was great.

That was in... 2006, I think? I guess SFO's TSA grunts didn't care or were just trying to rush people through the security line that day, which was massive. Or quite possibly because I'm a white middle aged woman.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Smuggling booze in a cruise is very easy. Take a clear plastic bag full of your favorite liquor and wrap it in with your clothes when you check your bags in. Bing bong so easy and now you don’t have to pay the extra money to get the unlimited drinks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It’s not against the law (in the US) to bring booze on the plane but it is to consume booze not given by a flight attendant.

t. alcoholic

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

CBD gummies.

Toothbrush, toothpaste and clean socks to freshen up after landing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Woof Blitzer posted:

It’s not against the law (in the US) to bring booze on the plane but it is to consume booze not given by a flight attendant.

t. alcoholic

Breaking the law at 30k :unsmigghh:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What’s the consensus on the best way to fly cheap from LA to NYC? IMO jet blue has been the least dehumanizing.

What’s this I hear about a script to sign you in at an optimal time?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

What’s the consensus on the best way to fly cheap from LA to NYC? IMO jet blue has been the least dehumanizing.

I just use Skiplagged.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've been using Momondo as of late. :shrug:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Global entry and lounge credits. Beyond that I’m pretty cheap when paying my own way. First/business is fuckin overrated even if you can easily afford it but the cathay boxes are incredible if you aren’t paying.

Try to pick a good plane model and obviously fly nonstop 100% of the time unless you’re going somewhere where you literally can’t.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is price the most important factor for you? If so, Spirit.

Are you willing to pay some more to get things like water included? Jet Blue.

Do you hate yourself? United.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The most infuriating low cost carrier I've seen is Scoot, which not only charges for everything including water, but bans you from bringing any of your own food or drink on board.

I have no idea how they enforce this if someone gets their own food out mid flight but it's terrible on principle.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Norwegians free WiFi service is terrible on all fronts except for accessing the forum via Awful.app.

Certainly helps with the loving grognard blasting Celtic music through his phone speakers and the infant scream orchestra.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Think about sexy times with your ex for the whole flight. That way your raging boner distracts you from any and all turbulence.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

zakharov posted:

Is price the most important factor for you? If so, Spirit.

Are you willing to pay some more to get things like water included? Jet Blue.

Do you hate yourself? United.

i used to fly hundreds of times a year for work and on the rare occasions I was forced to fly United I would always have a twilight zone-esque feeling of dread, that I had somehow died in the cab to the airport and what I was currently experiencing was actually Hell itself

gently caress United, i’d always text my wife “poo poo, stuck on United for this one so I guess I’ll text you if there isn’t a two hour delay”, and then I’d never have to follow up because it was invariably at least that late

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
one thing i'm thankful for in the modern era is how the airline consolidations and mergers have resulted in both improved efficiency and better customer outcomes as well as lower prices

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Lufthansa has free beer on intra eu flights, finnair has free beer on inter Continental flights. Swissair has leather seats in economy.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Always use ear plugs. Put it in properly before taking off and remove them only after landing.
Buy a giant box of foam earplugs with the highest noise reduction rating and use a pair each rime you travel,
That high patched muffled sound you hear or having a harder time to hear things after the flight? It’s because you’ve been sitting next to a jet engine for god knows how long.

Best part is you won’t care about any babies crying or other noises anymore. Also it means you will have to crank up the volume of your in flight movies to hear them over the earplugs, which also means you can actually feel the bass as it blast near max volume sound towards your ear plugged ear drums.

When you finally take them out after you land, it will sound as if you’ve never left.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 18, 2019

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Also bring a big empty plastic bottle and refill after security. Chug it about 15 minutes before landing and you will feel refreshed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Which drug causes the best short term amnesia? Is it otc and is this a medically sound option?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Outrail posted:

Which drug causes the best short term amnesia? Is it otc and is this a medically sound option?

Oh benzodiazepines all day. Just don’t spring for in flight wifi and buy a grand piano.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

Norwegians free WiFi service is terrible on all fronts except for accessing the forum via Awful.app.

Certainly helps with the loving grognard blasting Celtic music through his phone speakers and the infant scream orchestra.

While this might be true they are like the only one to even offer free WiFi so I give them a pass on it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

While this might be true they are like the only one to even offer free WiFi so I give them a pass on it.

Icelandair has it IIRC? And most flying over continental EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

If you take enough benedryl to disassociate there's usually a bit of amnesia and lost time.

You also might have really vivid hallucinations of something on the wing like you're in the Twilight Zone and that will probably stick out as a memory unfortunately.

Otherwise there's a reason half this thread is about alcohol tricks.