Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Toalpaz posted:

his is a game of mafia, not really a game to try and uncover or speculate about the roles I've made for this game, while there will be plenty of unique ones, there are also a lot of normal roles.

Too bad, I'll do this anyway.

I bet you made a role called compulsive super illuminator where each night you get to turn on a light and make it hard for another player to go to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm in to shine my genius tactics upon this game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Toal you probably should ban avatar buying. Lowtax doesn't need the money.

Oh, and cheating may be bad or whatever

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

How many players will we require?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

according to the OP, 20.

I've found the scum, not reading posts!

Ok I'll claim. I'm a compulsive visitor, vengeful guardian and my roles makes everyone, including scum, target who I want. I select you

Edit: Just realized that the only ones here that would get the reference are Toal, AA, and boogie

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 28, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm posting to bump this onto the front page of games so people notice it and join when they die in a different mafia game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

=You only get one message to start with... and only the first 100 users can join! Ahahaha!

gently caress I wasted my message

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Well the boomer mod took "sorry I dont have time to play" post as meaning they were in

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ok everyone, this is a cult game, so I have some major strategies to reveal.

First, we are going to want to kill the cultists. I know this may may shocking to many, and unacceptable to some, but it is the cold hard truth.

There is an exception to this, however. If you are a cultist yourself, you likely do not want to kill cultists. Instead, you want more people in your cult. This is complicated stuff, I know.

My role is impressionable young man. During night 1, I watch some propaganda videos on YouTube and become an avid cultist.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

Uhh...that's a scum claim...

##vote mega

oh no you got me

My actual role is heroic shitposter. Every time gulag want to poo poo post, they have to send them privately to me and get them approved. Don't tell Gulag this, but I won't approve any of them, and then post them for myself.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Too bad this illiterate town thinks I'm scum for my joke post that had information that has literally been in the OP for 2 months now

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

For the record, my opening post was a shitpost. I am not actually whatever I claimed. I wanted to actually participate in the joke phase for once instead of killing it. Seems like that failed.

Anyways, here is my current lumpen list

Illiterate
Amnistar
AA
Sandwolf
Dragonatrix
Leith
Hal

Literate
Mega
Gulag

Please help me complete this list everyone!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay Updating List

For the record, my opening post was a shitpost. I am not actually whatever I claimed. I wanted to actually participate in the joke phase for once instead of killing it. Seems like that failed.

Illiterate
Amnistar
Sandwolf
Dragonatrix
Leith

Taking lessons[/b[
AA

Semi-literate
Mega
Hal

[b]Literate

Gulag

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, Dragonatrix's "everyone is doing it so I will to" followed by not backing down as the reasoning was revealed looks bad.

##vote Dragonatrix

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I wanna point out that Leith also posted after my post and yet after 20 minutes hasn't unvoted. Since they posted, they don't really have an excuse about not seeing it, so that seems like a rather scummy thing to do

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't get a PM on discord either

Toal says that all roles are out on discord

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

To clarify my position, you claimed you would become a cultist night 1. So I'm voting for you.

I won't LOL. Why would I claim that except for a joke post? Read the rest of the post. I was shitposting the entire time. People on discord were like "Mega better post their role and end the joke phase," so I attempted to go for a role people wouldn't believe, with "analysis" to make it clear it was a shitpost.

My actual role is technically confirmable, so you can at least confirm that I at least wasn't a cultist today. Though I'd rather not reveal, for obvious reasons.

Of course, I could actually be a cultist in the future

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Just gonna point out that I haven't played on here in like... 3?-ish years, so I forgot what votefinder can do and all. Nothin' I can do about that except somehow get a better memory.

##unvote

:confused:

What does that have to do with any criticism coming at you? The criticism was switching to me as soon as you saw others doing it, which feels pretty scummy. You didn't come off, but you could clearly see all the others going "##unvote". No knowledge about votefinder is needed other than what you clearly demonstrated you had

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

Because it's joke phase and no one would believe it, and then you get to be smug and say "I told you so."

Joke claiming scum is a dumb idea as town, so I will always be happy to vote for someone that claims they are scum.

That said, I'm not going to sit on you and do nothing, I'm just not removing my vote because it's not based on you knowing there were cults, it's because you claimed you would become a cultist tonight.

There is no reason to serious claim scum unless you are in a soldiers game, have given up, and want to give information for the other team.

Hell, you were joke claiming scum in the pregame chat IIRC. This was effectively pregame, since post gave the okay literally a minute before the post of the game starting. I had that post ready for like 12 hours now.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

merk posted:

Am I so bad at making jokes that people cannot tell when I am joking?

Welcome to the club

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hmm. Leith starts the game by hopping onto me, posts just after I show that it wasn't special information I had, but public information from the OP. But then they neither hop off or justify their reasons like Amni did, despite clearly posting after both.

##vote Leith

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Leith Maclaine posted:

And where in the OP did it include the part of you specifically becoming a cultist on N1 after watching youtube videos?

It wasn't just that there are cultists. It was you saying that you were going to become one, and yes, I did reread it and think about it before the vote.

I know actually thinking about posts before voting is a radical thing around here.

First, it was clearly a poo poo post, and I've said this repeatedly. Like, the rest of the post was telling you my super insight about how we need to kill cultists as a townie in a cultist game, in a tone that was clearly supposed to elicit a laugh or whatever.

If I actually had that role, I either would have self voted and wanted everyone to kill me, betting a town win, or said nothing and joined the cult. Why the gently caress would I openly claim the role in a shitpost, then only go to deny it, if I actually had that role? It would be the worst play.

It wasn't that you waited to vote me, its that once you did and I explained myself, you didn't explain your vote like Amni. That basically meant you had serious voted me without reason, which is scummy as gently caress.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

Mega - Nothing about what has been posted makes me think Mega is town. Their actions to date feel much less invested in the game than in the soldiers game we played. I feel like they got early heat in both games, but in this game they're distancing through inaction while in the other they doubled down and pushed hard.

I was at the end of winter break for the soldiers game. Now I'm managing a graduate CS class, three CS papers I'm working on simultaneously (a couple of them I want to submit soon), a math paper I still need to finish up, and a Japanese language course I'm taking. Like, this meta read on me feels really scummy. No poo poo that people are more free in early January than mid February. I learned my first game to not call out people for things that can be explained "is busy." You never used meta arguments for posting amount in the previous game. For reference, I'm a super active scum player that tends to just ignore my team and call out everyone I find susp, including my own team. My level of activity doesn't really correlate with my scumminess.

I didn't have a scum read on you, but you've been pinging me with these bad reads.

Nep-Nep is kind of lurking, but is far from alone in that regards.

George's case is literally: Wow, you voted meta like 4 other people that didn't realize the image in the OP was the rules and then apologized for it? Also I like Amni and you don't? Sounds like scum

AA is playing like AA right now. This feels like their town meta right now. Won't elaborate on this for now in case it changes their behavior, but for now I'm not very susp of AA.

And why do you think George looks good after posting garbage followed by a single (bad) case against AA? And just going "oh I agree with this" without contributing anything at all looks weird.

And I'd expect scum Sandwolf to double check post history before throwing around accusations.

Why no suspicion towards Leith? You may agree with the vote on me, but you'd at least expect explanation to come out less than a day after you voted.

I guess my Lumpen list right now is:

Towny:
Gulag - Hard to read, but scum Gulag chooses worse targets I think
Binus - This is Binus' town game
Merc - This feels like town Merc, with normal scum hunting focus
AA - This isn't a strong placement, but George's placement is bad and this feels more like town AA
Sandwolf - This feels like townie Sandwolf, getting into scuffle with other townies as he tends to do

Scummy:
Leith - Already made my case. They sat on me without explaining their reasoning until a day after and after I called them out twice on it and actually voted for them. As someone pointed out, they defended against Gulag's vote despite me not mentioning it, almost as if they are scum not reading the post. Beyond sitting on me, they've done no case work.
Amni - See my post above
Ice Phoenix - Lurking isn't their town meta. And they seemed to sure have lots of free time to complain about not receiving their role before, but somehow not enough to meaningfully contribute?
Hunt - They made cases day 1 of their last game IIRC, while they are just kind of sitting doing nothing here
Hum - Lurking is their scum meta
RF - While being away for today is fine, the fact that they didn't use yesterday to case anybody is susp.
Ruggan - Feels like they are pretending to be helpful while really not

Steak:
Steak - They day when I can read Steak is the day I die

Lurkers:
Boogie - its their meta
Nepnep - IDK if it is their meta
ETR - IDK if it is their meta
Hal - its their meta

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Mafia edit

MegaZeroX posted:

I was at the end of winter break for the soldiers game. Now I'm managing a graduate CS class, three CS papers I'm working on simultaneously (a couple of them I want to submit soon), a math paper I still need to finish up, and a Japanese language course I'm taking. Like, this meta read on me feels really scummy. No poo poo that people are more free in early January than mid February. I learned my first game to not call out people for things that can be explained "is busy." You never used meta arguments for posting amount in the previous game. For reference, I'm a super active scum player that tends to just ignore my team and call out everyone I find susp, including my own team. My level of activity doesn't really correlate with my scumminess.

I didn't have a scum read on you, but you've been pinging me with these bad reads.

Nep-Nep is kind of lurking, but is far from alone in that regards.

George's case is literally: Wow, you voted meta like 4 other people that didn't realize the image in the OP was the rules and then apologized for it? Also I like Amni and you don't? Sounds like scum

AA is playing like AA right now. This feels like their town meta right now. Won't elaborate on this for now in case it changes their behavior, but for now I'm not very susp of AA.

And why do you think George looks good after posting garbage followed by a single (bad) case against AA? And just going "oh I agree with this" without contributing anything at all looks weird.

And I'd expect scum Sandwolf to double check post history before throwing around accusations.

Why no suspicion towards Leith? You may agree with the vote on me, but you'd at least expect explanation to come out less than a day after you voted.

I guess my Lumpen list right now is:

Towny:
Gulag - Hard to read, but scum Gulag chooses worse targets I think
Binus - This is Binus' town game
Merc - This feels like town Merc, with normal scum hunting focus
AA - This isn't a strong placement, but George's placement is bad and this feels more like town AA
Sandwolf - This feels like townie Sandwolf, getting into scuffle with other townies as he tends to do

Scummy:
Leith - Already made my case. They sat on me without explaining their reasoning until a day after and after I called them out twice on it and actually voted for them. As someone pointed out, they defended against Gulag's vote despite me not mentioning it, almost as if they are scum not reading the post. Beyond sitting on me, they've done no case work.
Amni - See my post above
Ice Phoenix - Lurking isn't their town meta. And they seemed to sure have lots of free time to complain about not receiving their role before, but somehow not enough to meaningfully contribute?
George - So far they've had bad posts followed by a bad case. Not super inspiring for confidence
Hunt - They made cases day 1 of their last game IIRC, while they are just kind of sitting doing nothing here
Hum - Lurking is their scum meta
RF - While being away for today is fine, the fact that they didn't use yesterday to case anybody is susp.
Ruggan - Feels like they are pretending to be helpful while really not

Steak:
Steak - They day when I can read Steak is the day I die

Lurkers:
Boogie - its their meta
Nepnep - IDK if it is their meta
ETR - IDK if it is their meta
Hal - its their meta

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

Honestly It slipped my mind that people would be less busy during the soldiers game since I was back in my normal life when soldiers started. I understand being busy, it makes sense. this post, however, comes across incredibly defensive to me. Especially with how later on you basically rip apart my play as bad, and put me on your scum list, but you don't have a scum read on me. Don't like it at all.

Like seriously...you spent an entire post talking about how each of my reads is garbage, put me on a scum list, how do you not have a scum read on me?

I literally had you second on my scum list. I don't know what you are talking about

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Okay Updating List

Illiterate
Amnistar
Sandwolf
Dragonatrix
Leith

Taking lessons
AA

Semi-literate
Mega
Hal

Literate
Gulag

Man this list was very accurate. People can't say I haven't been contributing

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

b-minus1 posted:

- poo poo guys people are voting me. What do I do.
- Just be cool. There isn’t a whole lot of activity in the thread. Don’t engage the people voting you too much. And definitely don’t get caught browsing the thread without posting or else people will use the forbidden technique on you.
- alright sounds good.

You were acting like towny Binus, and people don't realize it

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

lol this post is awful

Lol this post is awful

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Your contributions aren’t very good. Stop posting lumpen lists. They’re clearly just rankings of who you think agrees with you.

Oh sorry, what I meant to say was “I agree” just make sure to put me in your literate category, deal?

That was a shitpost. Amni realized thus, which was why they laughed. The joke being Amni misread my post, and I put them as illiterate earlier.

Lumpen lists are only bad when they lack reasoning or just go "null" which is the most useless thing ever. All I did was basically stitch together my casework.

Speaking of contributions, half your posts are jokes and the rest is basically just agreeing with others. Even with this it felt like you waited for hum to say bad things about it before you felt comfortable going after me hear in an OMGUS move

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Really liking Ruggan so far.

Mega you do seem like you’re taking this a little less seriously than you usually do.

As I've said, this is a busy time for me so I may be less active than normal. I've mostly been phone posting (like right now)

Why do you like Ruggan? I dont remember seeing any contributions.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Also, I poo poo posted a lot in the Vtuber game (but you died quickly), and died immediately in the passive game. Soldiers was a special game while on break, and there my shitposting was limited to making fun of red team.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Haven't you played a lot with Binus, Sandwolf? Binus is coming off like Passive and Fate Soldiers mafia to me over Vtuber mafia, which makes me think they are town

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Keep your casework to yourself.

This is the worst sentence of this mafia game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

Actually Lumpen lists are always bad. They force people to give some sort of read on every player in the game and in a game of this size, this early on, most people are not going to have reads of everyone in the game. It causes town players to end up looking scummy because they have to stretch to provide some sort of read on every single player and it lets scum look better because they can manufacture brief reads on people and steer the conversation using the lists.

Notably, Lumpen once ran a game where everyone was forced to post a lumpen list during each game day. I believe it ended in a perfect scum victory.

Yeah, but most of them I have decently strong enough opinions to post about. Basically all of them except for Steak and the lurkers. Amni, George, Leith, and Ruggan have made some pretty bad posts IMO, and I believe I've given examples of each

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ruggan posted:

How strong are these meta cases really? You even mention your own posting might be different this game because of change in coursework. People are going to naturally vary in engagement and the meta case feels like a very janky way of attributing meaning to something that has a much simpler explanation - real life.

I’m still pretty new at this but I dunno. Seems suspect to rely on it in any meaningful way.

I just said it in another post but I like all my reads not based on posting level.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

My Leith and Amni scum reads are my strongest though.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

I feel like you're putting too much faith in the initial read and it is coloring your perception of the game.

Your scum list was the worst in the thread IMO. It very much felt like scum giving 2 trendy options and a random lurker. Like you had me, who you have sat on, AA, which you basically just "yeahed" onto George, and Nep Nep, who is just a random lurker right now.

Add to the fact that I think George made the case in the thread, and it makes me susp of you.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I finally won TD :toot:

Also I have scum shook :smugwizard:

What is TD?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Amnistar posted:

And your cases are..."these two people voted for me after I claimed I would get recruited by scum and didnt remove them after I said I was joking."

I have 4 people I would vote for, with reasons that are pretty solid in my mind for day 1, sorry if you disagree.

My case on you has nothing to do with voting for me. I had you as town until that bad post.

Leith is because they posted after I explained it was a shitpost and it took me voting for them the next day to get them to give reasons. Since then, they have just lurked. It is a combination of little action and the content they do have is scummy.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Wanna point out that Gulag's gambit got people posting, which is a godsend for scum hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Oh, is it really a day 6 action? Huh.