Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this week im going to take the plunge and experiment with CDS https://ovh.github.io/cds

experimenting with CDS broke the world economy in 08 so i wouldn't suggest it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
oh? perfect :getin:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Is circleci the best option for containers? From here on out I'm not releasing anything that isn't containerized so

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's an article on Phoronix about someone redoing Make again, I'm not linking to it, but :lol: at the extremes of not hosting on anything normal.

http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs-talks.git;a=blob;f=2020-goals/notes.txt;h=b03d9e5ea1062869c642a1850a09340ea1575116;hb=HEAD

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

the correct answer is azure devops.

azure devops uses yaml which is the worst of all choices.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild should go in the dumpster and Microsoft should write a maven.net

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
docker in your CI path is bad, don't run your builds in a docker

actually probably just don't use docker in general, for anything

remember: a docker is somebody who engages in docking

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Poopernickel posted:

docker in your CI path is bad, don't run your builds in a docker

actually probably just don't use docker in general, for anything

remember: a docker is somebody who engages in docking

why?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
docker is adequate if you're not doing database stuff and aren't waving it anywhere near end users

k8s is extremely Google

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

docker is "works on my machine" taken to its logical conclusion

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

sdk-style projects are equivalent

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Bloody posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you can do some really good layering and caching with docker, and it makes a huge difference if you have someone on your team who understands that poo poo vs. if you're just wiring garbage together like I would.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

MononcQc posted:

you can do some really good layering and caching with docker, and it makes a huge difference if you have someone on your team who understands that poo poo vs. if you're just wiring garbage together like I would.

lol more like you can do that and completely ignore reproducibility of builds and pretend that managing all the artifacts that go into an image don't matter so good luck deploying to production when one of the zillion services you depend on at build-time suddenly become deploy-time deps

sorry i'm not yelling at you here i'm yelling into the clouds

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

it's pretty easy to have a dockerfile and think that your builds are reproducible, except:

1. you're downloading a linux image from a server that probably won't exist in a couple of years
2. you're using apt-get in your dockerfile, which basically guarantees you can never reproduce the configuration
3. good chance you're also using an even less reproducible package-manager too, like pip or npm
4. if your build isn't actually tied to a particular linux, then congratulations it is now
5. I guess you can archive the image manually, but in that case why gently caress around with docker?

also lets none of us forget that docker is a for-profit company owned by sharky VCs - probably shouldn't assume dockerhub is profitable or will exist in 5 years, and probably shouldn't assume anything on dockerhub will be kept private - anything that hits their servers will eventually be sold to an adtech company as ~metadata~

people will forget about docker, then they'll make the program into some kind of lovely freemium thing to try and squeeze blood from a turnip, then it'll become irrelevant

and you'll still be stuck janitoring your dockers

maybe docker's better used as a production environment, idk - but I'm guessing probably not

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 15, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Poopernickel posted:

it's pretty easy to have a dockerfile and think that your builds are reproducible, except:

1. you're downloading a linux image from a server that probably won't exist in a couple of years
2. you're using apt-get in your dockerfile, which basically guarantees you can never reproduce the configuration
3. good chance you're also using an even less reproducible package-manager too, like pip or npm
4. if your build isn't actually tied to a particular linux, then congratulations it is now
5. I guess you can archive the image manually, but in that case why gently caress around with docker?

also lets none of us forget that docker is a for-profit company owned by sharky VCs - probably shouldn't assume dockerhub is profitable or will exist in 5 years, and probably shouldn't assume anything on dockerhub will be kept private - anything that hits their servers will eventually be sold to an adtech company as ~metadata~

people will forget about docker, then they'll make the program into some kind of lovely freemium thing to try and squeeze blood from a turnip, then it'll become irrelevant

and you'll still be stuck janitoring your dockers

maybe docker's better used as a production environment, idk - but I'm guessing probably not

hard to argue with this, because almost every Dockerfile fetches stuff from a repo or package manager. you're supposed to use nexus or something to ensure that all that stuff remains available and consistent. if you do, all these problems go away (except for the one where dockerhub vanishes one day)

but almost nobody does this, because using docker is all about taking shortcuts and doing the bare minimum to get poo poo working

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
but its cool to use a docker image to provide an environment for CI, because THAT actually does make your builds more repeatable

the problem shows up when you go to update that image, and the Dockerfile refers to an apt repo that doesn't exist anymore. then you're back to janitoring linux again

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
using docker images from a hash instead of a tag to build your poo poo is so much nicer than any other mechanism

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but its cool to use a docker image to provide an environment for CI, because THAT actually does make your builds more repeatable

the problem shows up when you go to update that image, and the Dockerfile refers to an apt repo that doesn't exist anymore. then you're back to janitoring linux again

true on all counts

at work, we used to have a Linux CI build that ran inside a Docker image - over time, everything in the image got increasingly obsolete and out-of-sync to the point where its build results were useless. Plus the virtual root environment meant that one of our devs decided to hard-code a bunch of things to dump into /opt at build-time, and nobody noticed since "the build still works". After all who would ever dream of doing something other than building inside the docker image??

we couldn't add anything new to the image because it referred to external repo sources that don't exist any more - so we just had this black-box docker image that was getting more and more broken, and effectively couldn't be reproduced or modified.

I burned it down and moved all dependencies to things that could be installed on the build agent with apt-get and it's been working flawlessly (and has survived several OS upgrades).

so I guess that's a story on how to use docker to ruin a future maintainer's sanity?

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 15, 2020

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

That's exactly the story of most servers in the 2000s

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
good point

with docker, you pay all that bullshit twice - once in the docker image, and once for the machine that runs the docker image

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

using docker images from a hash instead of a tag to build your poo poo is so much nicer than any other mechanism

true, and true with pretty much any dependency really

not that many people do it :( feels like every day I hear about a new outage due to floating deps

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can understand why generic public hub images don't do that, but if you are doing any stuff internally you better have your own set of images.

Just because the docker hub sucks sometimes doesn't mean the whole stack is bad, the technology and tool work just fine if you are willing to put a few hours aside to set up your base build images.

You really should have your Dockerfiles start like this:
code:
FROM repo.yospost.bithc/build/base:1.0@sha256:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
so you have a tag defined and it's human readable but you are still pinning it to a specific version.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
totally, and ideally injecting actual values from that hash some other way

fwiw i completely agree with the earlier take that vc-backed docker-the-company is not to be trusted, and personally i'd rather use any other container runtime

at least the image format is standardized, and yeah, never don't be mirroring deps- including images- internally. i'm liking artifactory as a one-stop-shop for that kinda thing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
artifactory rules but their pricing is outrageous.

having to buy the most expensive license @ ~$15k/year just to get S3 storage support is ridiculous.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

artifactory rules but their pricing is outrageous.

having to buy the most expensive license @ ~$15k/year just to get S3 storage support is ridiculous.

at my old job, the NPM guys wanted to charge us 90k per year to run our own NPM mirror on-site

we got artifactory instead lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

at my old job, the NPM guys wanted to charge us 90k per year to run our own NPM mirror on-site

we got artifactory instead lol

lmao

that explains why we just migrated from npm on-site to artifactory then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

MSBuild exists because Microsoft felt it couldn’t use NAnt directly because at the time they saw open source as “infectious”

these days they’d have just used NAnt or ported Maven

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild and nant are equivalent so it would be pointless to switch. they need declarative builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

i've used a lot of jenkins instances, and no two are completely alike. there are lots of plugins to make it do exactly what you want. but they almost always become abandoned, and then you are stuck when you have to upgrade.

the most important rule for working with jenkins is to only use a plugin for something if it's impossible to do without one, and even then make doubly sure that you actually need to do it.