Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Video: Episode 10 - My Name is Jonah (01/23)

If you would like to support me and generally keep me on schedule and makin' quality LPs, feel free to join my Patreon- in exchange, you'll get episodes a week early!

The Surge 2 is the follow-up to 2017's smash-n-slash hit The Surge, by Deck 13. It was an action RPG set in a dystopian future where humans are treated like disposable machines, enhanced with biomechanical upgrades and then discarded once productivity drops. You can watch our first foray into Silicon Valley Hellcompany CREO here! Unfortunately the ending turned out not to have been so conclusive after all. A few months after the first game's events, our protagonist awakens in a hospital, having been put into a coma in a plane crash just after The Surge's ending. With no idea where they are or how they ended up under police custody, they step out into a world that's very hostile, very dangerous, and very different from the one they left behind. Possibly irreparably.

Time to grab an exo-suit and get to the limb chopping, just like old times!

The Surge is one of my favorite let's plays I've done- I was genuinely delighted to show off a game I felt was truly unique among its peers for many different reasons, and one of my core reasons for doing so was the potential it had under the surface for an even better followup. At the time I didn't think there would be one, and it turns out I was incredibly wrong! The Surge 2 is not JUST as good as the first, it's even better! The gameplay is smoother, the implant system has been recalculated and reorganized, and there's streamlining pouring out of every orifice we're about to chop right off our poor unsuspecting enemies' bodies. If you enjoyed the first game, lemme tell you, you're gonna like this one even more.

I like it more too, and not only because of the improvements to the gameplay. I love Deck 13, and for some reason they like me as well! They have become one of my favorite semi-indie game developers because they are friendly people who seriously enjoy what they do. Because they enjoyed my let's play and streams, I got the honor of being part of the beta development for the game, spoke with the creators and designers, and I've hardly seen a more passionate and enthusiastic group of folks. So enthusiastic about their game in fact that I managed to rope some of 'em in for episodes of this very playthrough! So let's dive back into the cyber-future of The Surge once more and see if we can't save the world a second time, shall we?

Episodes with an asterisk beside them feature Michael and Phil of Deck13!

As usual, please don't. Thank you!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I was born, in a... yeah, yeah, I think you know the rest.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

loved the first game and I don't follow many LPs at all but I really dug the first one

had a blast with surge 2 as well so this should be a fun LP

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
Yesss.
I've been waiting for this.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress yeah, ground floor of this!

Your LP of the first one was great, and I expect more of the same here.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
Nice! Been waiting for this!

You just got me to redownload the game. And wow, looking at you, you make me look like a chump when fighting. I can't parry for crap in this game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey CJacobs! Glad to see you're doing all right, and doing an all right game!

Also, EEEEEEE Warren!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mustnotspoilmyselfonthisgame, mustnospoilmyselfonthisgame... Well gently caress that.

e: Great, now I know what I'll be getting in the winter sale.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 12, 2019

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I put 51 hours into The Surge 1 over a month ago and got all achievements because of your LP of it and then after bought 2 which I finished around a week ago. It'll be interesting to see how people react to the different tone this game has compared to the first in this thread.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I was a big fan of the LP of the first game because of your enthusiasm, so I'm really glad you're doing this.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I really like seeing how Deck 13 keeps improving with every release, just compare Surge 2 with like Lords of the Fallen.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
One of these days, we'll be strolling down the apocalypse, and from the distance we'll hear some clanking and a "I DON'T WANT *BANG* TO BE *BANG* A GRIBBLY," and we'll be like, "oh hey, CJ still kicking. That's just lovely!"

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I really love your SoulsLike LPs; I couldn't get through Bloodborne without your commentary over it, and I bet I wouldn't be able to handle finishing the Surge 1 without it either.

Super excited for Surge 2. Let's hope our new friend gets out of this one alive, and let's hope that humanity continues to remain ungribblied.

Charlett fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 12, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Come now CJ, no LP is more gribbly than Dead Space 1.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be the idiot who asks after the reference. Were you born, in a class-five hurricane? Or something else?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In the first game, this played at every. single. save. point.
The song is basically the one thing that everyone who played that game remembers about it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

MA-Horus posted:

Come now CJ, no LP is more gribbly than Dead Space 1.

Those are biogribblies though, these are techgribblies. Totally different things!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nighthand posted:

Those are biogribblies though, these are techgribblies. Totally different things!

NanoGribllies

SOMA had them too

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

IMJack posted:

I'm gonna be the idiot who asks after the reference. Were you born, in a class-five hurricane? Or something else?

CJacobs was born in a the surge. Ironically that makes this technically his the surge 3.

Edit: having watched the video now, I have to say this place is looking kind of charfed. I'm also assuming that Charlotte Jacobs is the same person as the first Cyber Jacobs, using Saints Row 2 rules. She did something with her hair.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 12, 2019

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

NanoGribllies

SOMA had them too

At first glance I read this as:

"Nanomachines

SON!"

What has the Internet wrought?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, what were those starting weapons you grabbed off the bed/operating table?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a defibrillator! I have no idea why it has like a wrist harness thing that makes it excellent for punching people in the head.

Thank you folks for the kind words so far, I'm happy to be back. I spent a lot of time recording various parts of this LP till I got them "right" so I hope the effort will make it even more fun to watch.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Because prison guards are sadistic bastards.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure you can take the new frames off. 'Melding with your molecules in a flash' sounds fairly permanent.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh good. Now I can watch this up to where I got stalled and then start playing again!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure you can take the new frames off. 'Melding with your molecules in a flash' sounds fairly permanent.

Without spoiling anything, someone demonstrates that it is possible to remove them this time around by showing up with the frame at one point and without it at a later point. This is different from the first game where even people without an exo-rig still had the bare frame attached. Cerebral implant is still a bit of a problem though, I don't think that thing's coming out without some pliers at least!

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
:eng101: There are certain areas of the skull that aren't innervated and contain no pain receptors. It's possible to drill into the brain (which also lacks pain receptors) with only local anaesthetic on the skin. So it's not particularly painful to have something drill into your brain and skull, as long as they numb the skin and don't poke you in the bits that can feel pain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yet another way poor Warren got the short end of the stick in the first game. I hope we see him again in 2, I grew to really appreciate the guy by the end!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

Yet another way poor Warren got the short end of the stick in the first game. I hope we see him again in 2, I grew to really appreciate the guy by the end!

I hope you're ready for me to make posts like this for the next like 10 episodes of this lets play

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

CJacobs posted:

It's a defibrillator! I have no idea why it has like a wrist harness thing that makes it excellent for punching people in the head.

Thank you folks for the kind words so far, I'm happy to be back. I spent a lot of time recording various parts of this LP till I got them "right" so I hope the effort will make it even more fun to watch.

Brutal. I thought it was some kind of shackles that were supposed to be handcuffing you to the bed, except whoever this player character is is so much of a badass that she was able to rip them off the frame incredible hulk-style. I guess most of the weapons we'll see will be improvised or converted powertools again? I hope they include some backstory about whatever company is making consumer/industrial tools that convert suspiciously well into advanced melee weaponry.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Not going to lie, I was kind of hoping the player character was voiced and everyone just referred to you by last name, like Shepard in Mass Effect (or to a lesser extent, the Player in Saints Row).

Still, this looks impressively fun so far. I never did pick up the original The Surge, but I definitely wanna grab 2.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Between The Surge and Prey, 2017 was a good year for gribblies.

Looking forward to this, only heard positive things about it which is surprising, given the first game was a bit divisive.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Yay! I was waiting for this to kick off, and now it has!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I feel bad for poor Warren, his rig was drilled into him with like spare wood screws and poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This city just ain't what it used to be back in the day, lemme tell ya. Cough hack cough.

Thank you so so much to Michael and Phil for joining me for this video! You can find them on Twitter here:

https://twitter.com/philmannlive
https://twitter.com/CrashOberbreit

And you can follow Deck 13's continuing development of the game at:

https://twitter.com/Deck13_de
https://twitter.com/TheSurgeGame

And don't worry, this won't be the last you'll see of them. ;)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 16, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
LPs where the developers chime in are always a treat! It's nice to see you guys!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I am thoroughly enjoying all the quality-of-life changes The Surge 2 has made from the first game's interface. The directional counter implant, how things are organized and streamlined... it's just so good.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How tight is the window for the directional parries? As the devs said, you make it look easy, but I'm also terrible at this kind of timing.
And I guess the enemies we've seen so far are just randos who like scavenging/murdering passers-by to take their stuff?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

And I guess the enemies we've seen so far are just randos who like scavenging/murdering passers-by to take their stuff?

Either that or Charlotte is a psycho who likes scavenging/murdering passers-by to take their stuff.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Now I want to see Enemies that goes "friend or foe?!" "are you sane?" and, if you don't attack them, they will lower their guard, and not attack you.