Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crazy Achmed posted:

How tight is the window for the directional parries? As the devs said, you make it look easy, but I'm also terrible at this kind of timing.
And I guess the enemies we've seen so far are just randos who like scavenging/murdering passers-by to take their stuff?

And Is there a mechanic to dicourage pumping the parry?

E: ah it takes a pretty hefty chunk of stamina
Which isnt really obvious since the movement is so small and easily spammable

Ee:edited my post just as Cjacobs was answering me
Thanks cj

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crazy Achmed posted:

How tight is the window for the directional parries? As the devs said, you make it look easy, but I'm also terrible at this kind of timing.
And I guess the enemies we've seen so far are just randos who like scavenging/murdering passers-by to take their stuff?

The window is actually different for each weapon class! Basically, the larger/heavier your weapon, the more windup/cooldown there is before your parry frames start, but also the more parry frames you have. So the smaller weapons let you rapidly fire out short parries with a short cooldown but the larger weapons have more of a window to get the parry.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And Is there a mechanic to dicourage pumping the parry?

Yes, if you spam it multiple times in a row your character will get winded and do a different parry that has very few frames until you let go of the block button and try again. Parrying also consumes stamina and if you run out obviously you'll get knocked over instantly.

And yes, this is something majorly different than the first game and very important to consider! The enemies this time around are not brain-jacked zombies wearing exo suits, they're sane (well, "sane" by the surge's definition) individuals who are rioting and stealing and causing chaos. The moral implications are very different this time around!

SniHjen posted:

Now I want to see Enemies that goes "friend or foe?!" "are you sane?" and, if you don't attack them, they will lower their guard, and not attack you.

I actually agree with this, it's a huge missed opportunity but unfortunately the game does not have this as a mechanic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

5 minutes out of a coma and already splitting normal human beens in twain

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm a video game protagonist so it's totally okay! :shepface:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With a club. Someone tell her that blunt instruments are not supposed to work that way.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
These devs have shown so much progress, it's fantastic. We go from Lord's of the Fallen, a shallow Dark Souls clone with a decent scoop of heart, to The Surge 1, which while flawed took a lot more of the good from DS than LotF did and it shows. And now there's this. I honestly consider The. Surge II to be one of the finest Soulsborne games made, easily on par with DS1. To go from pale generic clone to kick rear end top grade Souls! In! Spaaaaaace!* in so short a time frame is impressive as all heck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm was going to say myself - when Warren started dicing the enemies were at least mostly mindless cyber zombies, regular humans bent on your murder only showed up at the end. The Mad Max apocalypse is starting early in The Surge 2.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Two episodes in and this LP already rules super hard.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
i bought this game because of your LPs and just watching you breeze through stuff is unbelievable

admittedly since i'd never played a game like this, or even dark souls, before i took around six goes at warden garcia before i had figured out the combat basics

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Do the devs with you have accounts on SA so they can follow along? Might get more interesting conversations like the Devs from Amulets And Armor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kibayasu posted:

The Mad Max apocalypse is starting early in The Surge 2.

:hai:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I spend my time there, by the shore.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Welp, Penny's food is probably people. Or soylent green? Might be either. Getting great vibes from Brother Eli though. A man who cares, eh?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Penny's voice actor songs like she really wanted to be Harley Quinn in one of the Arkham games.

And yeah, Penny is probably Port Nixon's biggest supplier of long pig.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AltaBrown posted:

Penny's voice actor songs like she really wanted to be Harley Quinn in one of the Arkham games.

And yeah, Penny is probably Port Nixon's biggest supplier of long pig.

Yeah, if you look at her sign (seen at about 21:25) it's a pin-up girl in the feed hopper of a meat grinder. Or to put it in Demolition Man terms, "D'ya see any cows around here?"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Wow, that hub area is fuckin' surreal, and I love it. Also, "you'll be taken care of?" Really? Might as well just kill the dude then and there in face of the inevitable betrayal.

Also, I can't help but chuckle at the fact that one of your favorite weapons is, yet again, an electrical beat stick like the Tonitrus, and it's even curved like the Beasthunter Saif; double points for also using this game's equivalent of an actual electrical trick weapon.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So can you get the jump on betraying the creepy cult or is this a more linearly plotted game? Because holy poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately you can't take out your weapon in friendly zones (you can tell we're in one when Charlotte has her headgear off). And I have no idea what you people are talking about, Brother Eli seems completely trustworthy to me! He's gonna take care of me afterward and everything! I'll be set for life!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I preferred the twin-rigged nano blades, the fast attack strings are fun. Shame you're playing without the online, the tags are incredible.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Double Plus Undead posted:

So can you get the jump on betraying the creepy cult or is this a more linearly plotted game? Because holy poo poo.

The Surge 2's story telling set up is extremely linear compared to, well, any soulslike.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So Molly Fox definitely, 100%, absolutely owes that loan shark more than 2000 scrap. That ellipsis was a dead giveaway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Surfer drone bro is my new favorite.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

CJacobs posted:

And I have no idea what you people are talking about, Brother Eli seems completely trustworthy to me! He's gonna take care of me afterward and everything! I'll be set for life!

Will he betray us because:

A. We don't want to join his cult.

B. We killed his brother, despite the fact he asked us to do that himself.

C. He's just plain driven crazy 'cause NANOMACHINES, SON.

D. He wants to know more about the little girl living in our head(?) and the FBI can't tell him to "open up" 'cause it's on the other side of the wall SOOOO...

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The large amounts of dialogue in this episode really drove home that wow, that is some Saturday morning cartoon level writing and voice-acting, right there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's awesome, I love it. The characters at Seaside Court are so over-the-top unfitting with the rest of the game's tone, even other NPCs you can speak to. They're so against the grain that it wraps back around to being hilarious in a good way and not a bad way. I have no idea why some of these people are so jovial, there's a nano gribbly outbreak going on!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: wrong thread

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Oh my god...I loved Surge 1 but bounced hard off of 2 right around this section of the game because I kept getting hit despite definitely friggin' parrying correctly! I didn't realize it was because of their higher level, I just thought this new parrying mechanic sucked. Now I feel dumb and am gonna go back and reinstall and try it again.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
Hey CJ, just wanted to thank you for your LP’s, as your first play through of The Surge got me to buy it and finish it, a game I truly loved deeply by the end. However, after jumping into this one straight afterwards...I have many thoughts and feelings towards it, many of them not positive. Loved the gameplay improvements, it feels much better to play, but the tone, atmosphere and direction of the game I really bounced hard off of.

I’ll try and comment about it more when we get there, but I was ultimately disappointed in the “Saturday morning cartoon” tone they went for, as someone previously put it. Ideally I could have the first game’s characters, enivoment, story and tone, with the gameplay improvements of the second haha. Oh well! Still a fantastic effort from the team though, and I’m very excited to see what they do next. Having said that, your commentary is top notch as every, looking forward to hearing your further thoughts, gribblies and all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I actually agree with that, I liked the first game's story and tone much better, but I enjoy this one a whole lot too for different reasons.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/TheSurgeGame/status/1214864595556458496?s=20

Good news! If you missed the 'eat the rich' aspect of the game, it'll be back with a vengeance in the DLC that's dropping next week! I already recorded the whole game for the LP but don't worry, I'll figure out how to fit it in at the appropriate time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like your superpower of causing DLC to drop in the middle of your LPs still works. Speaking of, did you ever do that Ashen DLC?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did not, haven't played it myself yet either, unfortunately I'd have to do a whole new playthrough to get to it and I just didn't ever get around to it. Maybe sometime in the near future I will because I'd certainly like to!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If the announcement on the day that DLC comes out doesn't start - or end - with "Release The Kraken!", I'll view it as a missed opportunity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got caught up in health problems as usual, the LP will be returning soon, but in the meantime you should know that this game is somehow fuckin FORTY FIVE PERCENT OFF on GOG starting today.

https://twitter.com/TheSurgeGame/status/1218246609953284097?s=20

You really really should buy it. It's like 25 bucks.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DaveCG posted:

Hey CJ, just wanted to thank you for your LP’s, as your first play through of The Surge got me to buy it and finish it, a game I truly loved deeply by the end. However, after jumping into this one straight afterwards...I have many thoughts and feelings towards it, many of them not positive. Loved the gameplay improvements, it feels much better to play, but the tone, atmosphere and direction of the game I really bounced hard off of.

I’ll try and comment about it more when we get there, but I was ultimately disappointed in the “Saturday morning cartoon” tone they went for, as someone previously put it. Ideally I could have the first game’s characters, enivoment, story and tone, with the gameplay improvements of the second haha. Oh well! Still a fantastic effort from the team though, and I’m very excited to see what they do next. Having said that, your commentary is top notch as every, looking forward to hearing your further thoughts, gribblies and all.
Yeah, this is pretty much my experience as well. The gameplay was vastly improved but the tone and plot got quite a downgrade to the point that it felt like it worked against the themes of the first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Y'know, I have a feeling Little Johnny's nickname may not be the most accurate way to describe him.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Meh, Celeste's no Don Hackett, at least by my standards. And I'm also hoping that the Ironmaus room is where Warr- Surge Batman makes his home.

EDIT: And for reference, the 'a little trouble' CJacobs refers to in the boss fight? That's the hours he spent trying to defeat the boss. I remember going out to have breakfast, since the fight seemed to be going on for a while, then came back to watch the archive, only to find the battle still raging :allears:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 7, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
That robot thing the boss is riding is a real cool deisgn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is cool! So cool in fact they put it on the box art.

You might notice it has four legs on the box, but Little Johnny only has three in the actual fight.

It might seem like a mistake, but if you look close at the boss itself you can see a bunch of wires dangling down where the fourth leg would be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: And for reference, the 'a little trouble' CJacobs refers to in the boss fight? That's the hours he spent trying to defeat the boss. I remember going out to have breakfast, since the fight seemed to be going on for a while, then came back to watch the archive, only to find the battle still raging :allears:

My not so secret shame, revealed :negative: