Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Caught up with the thread, speculation time.

Point one: Sara never actually denied being connected to an organised crime family. I strongly suspect Mr. Policeman was investigating her/her family before the death game and, for whatever reason, the game is all about her and everyone involved will have some hidden connection.

Point two: Gin is terrified of cages and has an abusive father. After meditating, he drops the animal noises. I feel they're not a cute anime quirk, but a fear response beaten into him. 'When you're in danger act like an animal' is a lesson he's had to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Probably a projection onto the glass by the mastermind, to mess with people.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

limeicebreakers posted:

Nao just gave a grade-schooler coffee, huh

He'll be fine, no need to worry about it stunting his growth.

Because he's a robot

That won't survive the game

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Squall Is Dead proposes the idea that at the end of disc 1 when he gets stabbed through the chest with an ice spear is when he actually for-real dies and the rest is a dying hallucination because it's when villains become more villainous, friends become more friendly and towards the end the plot kind of falls apart.

These are also easily explainable by the plot progressing and intensifying, as tends to happen in stories, and writers running out of time and having to hammer in an ending.

Indoctrination Theory is the idea that somewhere towards the end of Mass Effect 3 (Usually when you get injured in the assault on Earth and slow-walk to the ending) Shepard is being mentally attacked by The Reapers. This much at least is true, represented by 'veiny screen' effects and the like. How much is real depends on your interpretation of this. Does Shepard actually encounter the Illusive Man in the Mcguffin Device. Is the Hologram Child real? Are they lying to Shepard about the effects of the different ending-buttons?

The canon answer is that Shepard fights off the Indoctrination, and everything is real, but you don't have to be much of a gamer to know that ME3 had an unsatisfying and inconclusive ending, so fan speculation went wild trying to turn it into something more clever.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Nao we need 200 of other people's tokens for that machine, it's gotta be important.

I reckon the doll will have a talking function. Pull a cord, hear Joe say "I forgive you".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

It's to torture Sara. At some point she'll have to bring up the possibility that the phone was tampered with, and reveal to Kanna that she knows the message is fake AND what the original was.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Yeah, we should hear Keiji him out. A traumatised detective probably has plenty he'd be terrified to know others knew about.

Also, would any of the dialogue choices have given us fewer 'Joe' points?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

It just turns out Sara's last stored personality was her goth phase, and when confronted with it as an AI she dies of embarrassment.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

He's actually Sou Donym.

Aaaand it looks like winning and losing might not be such good things... Suddenly yoinked in front of a target...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Of course it's a spike pit. Of course.

Reminds me of the opening of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, where our hero is in jail but has been scratching away at the wall with a spoon he hid, almost done breaking enough that he can take out one of the bricks. It'll be close, his execution is the next day and the spoon is worn down to almost nothing, but he manages it just in time, removes the brick and spies... another layer of bricks, and a shiny new spoon.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I want there to be two Rekos, arguing about which one has to get a haircut to tell them apart.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I mean, it only went bad when Ranger told them 'Only one of you gets to live'.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

No, this one pretty clearly had the knife-twisting in Reko...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

We were hoping for an ending with as many survivors as possible, all of them Reko.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

They told the collections agent 'Alright, we're ready to start, grab the big redhead' and he kidnapped the girl he was stalking instead of Q-taro.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

The meaning of Po:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

It's just budget allocations. Sara was a nightmare to kidnap, Sou tripped and fell into an unmarked van.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

So, the whole Death Game is a training program for Sara? Likely set up by her mysterious parents who are totally Yakuza or the like. Or maybe it was the case, but it's been taken over by the experiment?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Well good to know that Q-Taro has been playing games right from the start. He must have been picking up cards right from the start looking for a good one. Though how he knew what was good and what was bad is beyond me.

He's the inside man, responsible for distributing the cards once evryone has split up.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Go Nao! And Sou is looking more and more like a guy who was just slow to trust others, or that they weren't double-agents. Ominous line about a Lady-Killer though... what if Gin means it more literally?

Does the memory-machine scene change depending on how often Sara has used it?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

She did a social hacking, well done. That girl's got a bright future in infosec ahead of her.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

In a twist of UI-becoming-mechanic, the dilemma is solved by trading the Sacrifice to the dead Reko/Alice.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Nao only won because we're in the Dead Reka timeline.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

"If you die your memories will vanish" seems an interesting way of putting it. What're the odds this is actually canon, and the island folks are AIs being tested, with survivors being on monitors?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

All escape rooms are murderous escape rooms if you do them right/wrong enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

My theory at this point is that it's designed to train Sara for 'greatness'. The winner of the previous Death Game went on to take over the underworld, they want Sara to be their successor.