Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

just a big doofus fightin pokemons

someone awful. posted:

if dangan ronpa can have its Nirvana references, then this game can have Alice in chains :v:

oh god loving dammit

Also having played it I can confirm that it is surprisingly good. Simple, but good. I honestly can't believe it's free, but I guess that's part of what got it the size of audience it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Talk to Alice. Not that Keiji isn't a good lad, but after that little tidbit at the end of the last chapter, I want to know more about our criminal friend.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Yaiba means sword, too (although I can't be sure that was the intention, it seems like the most obvious.) "Yeah my band's called Samurai Sword, you spell it 36雷818."

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

The wait to show off the other path is going to be excruciating, huh. (I didn't even realise I had a choice when I played, which is more me being a dumbass than anything else, but I also really did not trust Q-taro to save Gin, and my Sara had just spent as much time as possible playing big sister to him.)

Also since we now have confirmation that dolls don't bleed, we can say for certain that Sue Miley's human (although most people guessed that already).

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

I'm not going to vote, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Keiji, OP. I couldn't quite get a grasp on him through 2-2.

Also agreed that Nao waiting until now to make the offer is magnificent. I suspect it's partially genuine, partially taking some of the burden of the choice off Sara (who has the option to save her where she couldn't save Joe), by acting selfish. She does the same by pushing the Reko-doll in that path.

Man, Nao deserved better.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

The eternal struggle of the death game writer: everyone has a cool backstory, but someone has to be the one to die without getting any of it revealed. This is a clever way around it, actually.

My vote is to focus on a few, and I'm specifically interested in Sara, Sou and Kai.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Sara and Kai. C'mon, I gotta know the hand analysis results!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

The sniffling one sounds like Safalin. Would that make the person (or AI as it were*) she's talking to Mishima? Or perhaps Sara or Nao at some point during the token trading section?

*I do not for a second believe they don't have backups of the AIs.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

I know a Komaeda when I see one.

They really went all out with the alternate names, drat. Which only makes it weirder that he accepts Mishima. Unless ... Another point for Mishima doll theory? (An incredibly subtle one if so.)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Shin comes across as his own worst enemy. The stat sheet made him paranoid as gently caress and he couldn't deal with it. If he hadn't seen that he'd have probably had a very different attitude.

Wonder if our game master figured that out. Was that flashback to Sara trying to save him a simulation where they were too successful, so they had to find a way to neutralise Shin by playing off his insecurities?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Zandar posted:

That locker room recorder implies that one person from a First Trial pair might have died without the other ever actually seeing them... which means they'd never have been seen by a survivor, so they'd be eligible to be a partner here. I wonder whether we're going to get a revenge betrayal at some point.

From his reaction, I'm guessing it's Alice. (And I think it was Hinako whose video implied her being hanged...?)

IIRC the First Trials we're still missing are Alice, Reko and Kai.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Gee, I wonder what doll we've met could be called Maple...

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Randalor posted:

I was betting on the one with pancakes for a hat, but if it turns out Mai is short for Maple... yeah, I can see it. I mean, I did say she reminded me way too much of the evil dolls earlier.

Oh no I was definitely going for Pancakehat. Maple syrup!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

New portrait :toot:

(I assumed it was Joe's dad just from the hair, but since Joe wasn't intended to be part of the game in the first place, it could be someone else's. Can't be Gin's, Sara's or Kai's; Q-taro is an orphan (and too old besides); I don't remember if Kanna's adopted parents are supposed to still be alive but I think they are...? I suppose we don't know exactly how and when she was orphaned.)

(Ah poo poo, just remembered Sara's dad isn't her real dad. Hm.)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

tomanton posted:

Speaking of which, didn't we realize that like nobody's biological father is known when we talked about this a couple of months ago?

Yeah, especially when Safalin outright tells them to question their origins.

Also, I'm not sure if that's Keiji hallucinating or if they actually have a doll of Mr. Policeman. Both seem equally likely if he was a father of a participant.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Exit/Corners, another free character focused VN/puzzle game themed around a death game. It was also episodic at first before finally being finished last year.

Ooooh thank you.

maybe I'll finally get around to starting a LP...

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Oh definitely, I am going to enjoy playing it first :3:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

According to a Twitter post, VGPerson will be using the demo to get a head start on translation so it should be pretty quick...And, apparently they removed all instances of the phrase "among us" in the latest patch. Not going to verify that one, but I want to believe.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Let's! Motherfucking! Go! :toot:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Is vgpersons site dead? I was playing the web version and it just gives errors now.

It's currently working for me on Chrome. I know it was having massive issues when they first uploaded it, though.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

That's actually how the last one ended, a bunch if yakuza families getting sued into oblivion. That person then founded Asunaro, that's how they have enough money for all of this.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

I really like how they handle Gin's autism here. You could make a reasonable guess from his behaviour in previous chapters, but when he discloses it to Sara here, she just accepts it no questions asked. Honestly everyone (Floor Masters aside) has been really understanding of Gin and that makes me happy :3:

Komaeda, on the other hand...You can't make a kid sign a contract! That's not legally binding at all!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Dolls don't bleed (see: Ranger), so the question is "have we seen Sara bleed on-screen", the answer to which ... I'm not actually sure. She's died a lot in bad ends, but I'm too lazy to go look and see if she bleeds in them.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Tax Evasion posted:

If you fail the First Trial, the game over screen shows Sara bleeding.
I'm not a huge fan of the "dolls can bleed" theory, it just seems like lovely storytelling to establish this rule as a clue and then break it later on.

Ah, okay. Yeah, same -- I felt really clever noticing that Safalin was human (she cuts her hand to show off the healing goo or whatever it was on the second floor), so I hope they don't go back on it. I find that kind of clue really fun to look out for.

...Unless Sara got swapped out for a doll at some point after the first trial, which I hadn't considered until literally right now. That would also be kind of lovely, but there's precedent with Reko. I don't think they'd do that, though. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

There's a big difference between swapping a major supporting character and a character the player is controlling without letting the player know.

I added the "probably" because I don't want to look too stupid if I'm wrong, but I agree with you; I trust the writer enough not to do that. And the screenshot (thank you, Hydrosphere) confirms it pretty much. One human, painfully mortal Sara. :toot: