Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

It's the last day and we don't have enough tokens to buy anyone's info. For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

El Generico posted:

Not so much in Japan. Japan is a high uncertainty avoidance society, tolerance for that kind of design flaw is low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_avoidance

How do gachas fit into this?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Regallion posted:

Well, at least the solution to this one is super-easy, you just push Reko down on the spikes, because SHE IS A DOLL YOU ABSOLUTE DUMMIES.

The original Reko has definitely very probably been replaced by a doll, but this doll appears to think and act like the real Reko would. Could it be a doll that doesn't know it's a doll?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

They're all dolls, aren't they?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

differentiating posted:

I don't want Gin to die either, but it's the difference between actively killing someone and passively not preventing the death of another.

Exactly this. Spare her.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Toalpaz posted:

Not pushing is tantamount to murder of gin. By choosing not to save a life we are almost committing the murder ourselves. We don't know what it is like to exist as a doll AI, we do know what it's like to be human and exist as human. There's no evidence that she isn't a sophisticated program, a machine, rather than a thinking person. There is nothing sacred about lines of code designed to mimock human behavior and elicited emotional responses, when as far as we know, there is one and only Gin.

Sure, blame the participants of the death game instead of its instigators.

I wonder if the answers would change significantly if instead of Gin, the doomed person was Sou or Q-Taro.

wologar fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 12, 2020

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

differentiating posted:

I agree with all of this. Each choice has consequences; there's no way Rio Ranger is pushing so hard to kill the fake Reko if he's really going to let Gin/Q-taro go, replace the real Reko, and everything is hunky-dory. Best case scenario, Sara's reputation (and likely her mental health as well) suffers a hit. Worst-case, there's a hidden catch, like the real Reko being killed if her counterpart dies or something.

From a player perspective, I'd definitely be interested to see both outcomes and how they affect the story, so I'm not particularly tied to one result or the other. I just think people are being a little silly in treating this like there's a clear black-and-white answer to this dilemma from Sara's perspective.

Though it's worth noting that, per the percentage papers we picked up earlier, Gin is an elementary student. So that's at least consistent.

True. Either option is terrible, albeit for different reasons. I believe Sara would feel more at peace not pushing Doll-Reko, though. She's already traumatized by directly participating in Joe's death.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

I think that what gets a lot of people is that Gin is a child. Had it been Sou at the target, pondering "What measure is a human?" would suddenly become more appealing.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

If it turns out that this death game is a novel way to research negative emotions, they could have just taken a look at the last few pages of this thread.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

If Sara pushes Reko it is revealed that Keiji ate too many burritos the night before and drops dead.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

From a story standpoint, it may be better to have Alice survive, as he claimed a while back that he had killed someone with Sou's name.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

He probably let his companion die during the first trial, though, if that victim video is to be believed.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

The name is Shin, however, which is only two characters (しん).

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Unbeknownst to them, it's just the new selection process for tellers at the local bank.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

ASU-NARO is Galbadia Garden.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Sou probably used the stun gun on Q-Taro to use his tablet. He probably gave the sacrifice to Sara, too.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

The only way that the Sacrifice lives is by sacrificing everyone else when they vote for you, so choosing "trust" is to hope that the others value your life more than theirs. That said, Sara is the protagonist of a death game, so "trust" must be the "correct" choice.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Dolls are going to be this setting's nanomachines.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Q-Taro has been extremely fretful this trial. He must have one of the undesirable cards, either the Sage or the Sacrifice. By claiming Keymaster, he'd hope that people didn't vote for him, so he'd be the Sage. If that's the case, however, he's probably assuming that the real Keymaster wouldn't intercede on Sara's behalf. That leaves... Sou as the Keymaster?

Another possibility is that whoever stunned him stole his tokens for a trade and broke his tablet so he wouldn't know who's the Keymaster. The attacker would also know that Q-Taro is the Sage in that case. Sou again?

Q-Taro as Sage and Sou as Keymaster would leave the Sacrifice up in the air.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

I doubt that Q-Taro ever had the Sacrifice. Since he was in cahoots with Sou, that's probably how he knows about Sara being the Sacrifice and is freaking out because Sou betrayed him (gave him the Sage while unconscious) or can betray him at any moment (blackmail). Q-Taro may have had the highest amount of tokens, but it was probably Sou the one who made use of them.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

There's nothing to be suspicious about, everyone. Please don't mind me and carry on with the majority vote. Um, meow woof.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Keiji was definitely the Sage at the beginning and he gave Sara someone else's Keymaster as if it was his. And he finished the round as the Keymaster so he outplayed everyone there.

Imagine if Nao was the original Keymaster. Seeing her role change to Commoner and then to Sacrifice without tokens to trade it away would be devastating.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Gashu should just shoot everybody and make Safalin win the contest.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Nao is the real answer here. Just get out of this miserable death game. Shame it's not an option.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Why does Sou care so much about Kanna, and only Kanna, though? He's spent the whole game putting his own survival first, so why sacrifice himself for someone that he recently met?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Why would Sara have such a high chance of victory? If she wasn't player-controlled, I would bet more on Keiji (and Reko) because they seem to be a better mix of cutthroat and friendly.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Jefepato posted:

Honestly, killing half a dozen other people just to save one person's life seems like a far deeper commitment than the average marriage proposal.

It was to save her own skin, though. I guess we had prior notice that Nao gets really attached by her treatment of Mishimas's detached head.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

That was so sad.

Safalin, play "Creeping Terror".

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

That went roughly as expected. Sparing Sou does not give us a logical ally, it gives us someone that already hated Sara, now with even more hatred. It was a blatantly wrong choice and I'm glad we didn't go for it.

The fake AI Joe was not expected though, and I don't think Sou could've pulled that one out so quickly, so this is likely from whatever Floor Master we meet next, if not Safalin herself. Safalin's bad attempts at looking kind completely broke down here too, not like I trusted her after the mind-mushing bad end.

Eh, you could say she wanted to be shot and was disappointed that the gun was empty.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Let's go with the Best character, Mishima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

Watch as Gin and Sara are revealed to be half-siblings.

Ranmaru's only hope of staying alive is to choke Sara with his mop hair.