Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Awwwwwww yeah. Your Turn To Die. Stumbled across this earlier this year, shortly after the English translation was released, and was seriously surprised by just how all together good it is for what feels like it should be a very amateur and mediocre product.

Looking forward to following this. Word of advice to OP though: looks like you didn't select a thread tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Random touch I just noticed: the item button has a key on it, which is also the first important item in the game. Nice.

The cast is excellent at evoking that death game charm where you immediately find all these eccentric weirdos fun and want to avoid their demise. But Gin Ibushi is the best boy.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Randalor posted:

So does the game just go to a Game Over if you gently caress up the first puzzle, or does it actually continue on with Joe as the POV character?

There's a Game Over with a unique/special art asset. Most Game Overs in this game have a short failure scene before making you retry.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

If Kai's a homemaker, then he can probably make some very good popcorn to munch on in anticipation.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Regallion posted:

Just out of curiosity, if you actually shoot people in the gun minigame, is that a game over or an actual secondary path? I can't imagine they wrote the dialogue and branches supporting every single combination of survivors.

Game Over. They slump over dead from a gunshot to the head and Sara has a complete screaming breakdown because she just messed up and killed someone.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Huh, I never actually watched this particular recap and played straight on through. Kind of interesting to get those bonus insights into Sara's thoughts.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

yamiaainferno posted:

Just for my own sake (I'm so bad at keeping names straight), the people unaccounted for are:

Well, keep in mind, we do have one absent person accounted for, even if we don't know her name right now. Kanna's sister.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Sou-long, farewell

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

He has already mentioned back in the Russian roulette painting room that he's shot someone before. Makes sense that he's suffering some consequences if he can't even trust himself to hold a gun anymore.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Keiji Shinogi, god-king of popcorn moments.

Also, Alice is a good egg.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Gin clearly wants to spend time with us, and he's such a darling boy. (And for the more logical-minded, he's the most profitable, especially since we've passed the Reko tokens over to Alice now.)

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

wologar posted:

It's the last day and we don't have enough tokens to buy anyone's info. For shame.

It's totally possible to do the right combinations of trades to get a few different folks' personal info. Gin, Nao, Reko (which we totally could have done this run if we hadn't been pursuing Ultimate Bongoquest), maybe Kanna... Theoretically, if we did one of the attractions where Q-Taro offered to give us 10 tokens, and we took this 40 token trade here, we could buy his info too.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Whatever is happening is simply unfair.

I mean, Sue Miley sneaking into Sara's room and handing her secret bonus info could also easily be seen as unfair. As could, like, putting a 12 year old in a death game to compete with a pro baseball player. Or hiding a rules explanation somewhere anyone is unlikely to look, then when explaining things in person failing to mention a key loophole.

The general gist of this game has never really been "things are going to be fair", even beyond the knowledge gap aspect. It's more... trying to combat the unfairness as much as possible and potentially subvert it. Just in this update, if you believe Rio Ranger, he didn't actually expect the entire cast to survive the attraction and clear chip subgame to get to this point.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Sorry, how do you know it was Sue Miley?

They deeeefinitely show enough of the face and hair.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

There isn't really a "good" option in this case. That much should be clear. But as it stands, here's the logic I used when I played it myself.

Fake Reko doesn't deserve this in the slightest, but she's not considered by our Floor Masters to be part of the players. She's been inserted to shake things up, cause discord. She was intended as a construct of the Room of Lies. Thus, we can't really have faith that when they said that everyone can theoretically survive this attraction, that includes Fakeo. Meanwhile, Gin's trapped on the wheel, is a clearly intended player, is a poor middle schooler who I have nothing but affection for, and may not survive the next needle. Q-Taro could flip it, but how can we have faith that he's going to hit the button and take on the pain? He's the high scorer because he was clearly willing to sell his integrity, the laptop that was Kai's will, and pretty much everything in order to try and accumulate 200 tokens. He's been too much of a coward to hit the button to protect the much smaller Gin so far even after one of those needles fired, even though he's much bigger and tougher and comes from an orphanage background that clearly shows he's supposed to have experience/empathy for kids.

We don't have time, and we can't have faith in Q-taro. Nothing about this is good or fair. But we need to save Gin. We need to push her.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Veryslightlymad posted:

Gin, you dumb little poo poo, hold your stupid stuffed animal in front of the targeting laser.

I know the sprites are his usual ones for purposes of showing his mood, but, uh. Gin's kinda got both his arms restrained and is like six feet up in the air strapped to a target.

Be nice to the boy.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Onmi posted:

So... Sou shredded the original percentage papers? Which makes me think the percentage papers were in his Trial? If so, that's a pretty big mind gently caress off the bat if he's, as it's likely he is, Shin. "Hey there, it's a death game, your chance of winning is 0%"

And in addition to seeing his own odds, he gets to see the top contender.

What sort of horrifying entity must this stranger be that they could so outclass everyone else in the death game in survival rate? What must their nature be?

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

"We built him wrong. As a joke."

Also Gin is a really excellent partner button. Every time you go into beast senses mode there's a little gruff bark sound effect.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I'm inordinately fond of what's halfway a running gag in the story of Nao having recovered from the stealing-the-head incident and successfully repeatedly turning out way stronger and more competent that anyone else actually expected.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Kanna is not a hack. Clearly she will grow up to make the good video games as art if she survives the death game.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Veryslightlymad posted:

I really need to know if trades are allowed during the main game.

Suo can actually win here if trades are allowed and he's allied with both girls. They can actually guarantee at least Keiji dies by trading first Q-taro's sage to one of the trio, (for a sacrifice) and then Keiji's keymaster to a different one of the three. Everyone would know it's safe to vote for one of the three of them, but have no way of knowing which one. So they would have to vote for Keiji.

If Q-Taro saved himself by trading the sacrifice to the only person he's certain can't trade back---Gin---we'd actually get the theoretical situation where the "closest ally" and "younger boy" both die.

Well, going by events as laid out, part of why we can eliminate people from having performed Trade X is because they were with other people. Because in order to actually set up a trade, you have to physically go to one of the Ring-Up Boxes and insert your tokens. And nobody's mentioned a conspicuous Ring-Up Box hanging around the trial ground, nor do I feel like people would generally let someone run off to one if there was.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

For all the hate and antagonism, the game thus far has been Shin Tsukimi acting out of fear, doing his best to put on a persona to stay alive. He's been exposed and rubbed raw in pursuit of a hope of escape, but up until now, he's been trying to hurt Sara because of a belief in her antagonism that this trial has been proven to be largely misplaced. Until now, Sara's chance to prove herself the cruel monster he's been terrified of. Why would he want to be useful to the sadist who sent the traumatized 14 year old he's been trying to protect to her death?

Also, Reko's dead, and Nao's about to be dead. If you vote for Kanna, then you've killed off every girl in the players except Sara. And that sucks.

Vote for Sou and honor his wish.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Falconer posted:

...yup, that sure was a bad ending.

But unlike the others, it wasn't a Game Over. It's the first actual proper, numbered ending.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of, isn't the setup of the first trial for Sara and Joe kind of weird? Joe was a tagalong. Of the four tagalongs we're familiar with, three had the same trial, but while Kugie and Nao were the ones that needed to be saved by the actual candidate (who was in little danger), Sara was left at the mercy of Joe being able to solve the puzzle.
Despite the fact that Sara is ostensibly the most important participant, and Joe is a relative unknown? Why risk it?

iirc, according to Mishima, Nao was the one who saved him. Also, while I'm not sure how it'd work, I think the announcer voice said that they would choose who would solve the puzzle to rescue the other. It's been a while, though.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

placid saviour posted:

Wow, how long has it been? I feel like so much has happened in the world since this thread started.

Roughly a year and a half, not counting the survival beach game.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

girl dick energy posted:

Was that puzzle just Concentration?

Not exactly. The pictures displayed on the lockers are just the map layouts; you have to personally make the connections between items and what room they should go with.

Also, some important moments for both Alice and Kanna in this update. A bigger picture of what actually happened with Alice's "crime", and Kanna enthusiastically demonstrating her growth from her attempts to throw herself at death for most of Chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I will protect Gin with my life, but also, I feel like Gin must be very tired of people dying.