Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Gosh the organizers sure are obsessed with lifelike dolls and AIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Some things to remember:

Sara and Joe fell a large way down while navigating a dark hallway after the first trial.
Joe left his cell phone in the first trial room.
Joe mentions having a crew cut in middle school.
When Sara found her mother collapsed, she went back into the hallway of her house and Joe was already in the hallway.

Some things to think about:

Why was Sara's room in her house locked and only kidnapped after she unlocked it? It would have been relatively easy to take her at any point, so why the room specifically?
Why was Sara's mother unconscious?
Where was/is Sara's father?
What happened to Mishima's head? Is it important that it not be seen?
Why are some places on this floor in ruins?
When Sara clasped Reko's hand for the Web of Lies attraction, she noticed blood coming from Reko's glove. Was the glove Sara pulled off bloody? Why did Reko take it back?
What is wrong with the message on the smartphone?

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 22, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm genuinely confused about Sou doing a genuinely good thing. He got nothing out of it too, he would've gotten the laptop regardless, so why? Is there a part of him that isn't a complete monster?

We know that Sou saw a message, but we do not know which one he saw. He gave no clear indication that he was the one who changed the message. The only thing he said to this effect was that he wouldn't let Sara "get her way". It is possible someone else altered the message.

We also still don't know who placed the phone there in the first place.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not the attractions are supposed to be considered part of the game/story and not just a plot contrivance to include some interactive mini-games and add tension for this part of the game.. If we consider them as truly real, then we have to contend with the idea that the characters have really interacted with a mine cart, some type of card battling game, ghosts(?), giant bugs, and more dolls. I'm guessing because none of the characters really make any remarks about the attractions, we don't need to examine them too closely. The only one of importance seems to be the attraction Sara and Reko found.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Antivehicular posted:

I don't think there's any reason to assume the attractions are non-diegetic, since it's already been established by the rest of the game that whoever's controlling this has a ton of resources to create elaborate environments, AI, and the dolls, and we've already seen a "mini-game" like this earlier with Gin in the cage. I assume the characters aren't talking about the contents of the attractions because "these assholes are making us play dumb arcade games with their dolls" is not really the most pressing issue at play.

I believe you're right on the part about them being diegetic. I think I was attempting to question their existence from more of a meta-textual (is that the right word?) perspective, both in terms of the actual video game and the game the characters are playing. Usually in these types of narrative based games, things aren't placed by accident, so the question then becomes "what is the purpose of these attractions in the game?" Indeed, we can ask the same question of the puzzle rooms from the previous level.

Are they included as entertainment for whoever is watching and a way for the characters to compete against each other, or do they go beyond that? Perhaps they serve as an actual test of skill in addition to competition. Is there a reason beyond conflict to have the attractions need two people? I guess my thoughts aren't really developed on this.

Also, it's really cool that you are posting screenshots of the attractions, HydroSphere. I'm guessing it's a bit of extra work to go through them and get the interesting parts. Thank you.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Alright. Why does the ice cream cone have one wing? Is it ice cream Sephiroth?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Jadecore posted:

I mean, Sue Miley sneaking into Sara's room and handing her secret bonus info could also easily be seen as unfair. As could, like, putting a 12 year old in a death game to compete with a pro baseball player. Or hiding a rules explanation somewhere anyone is unlikely to look, then when explaining things in person failing to mention a key loophole.

The general gist of this game has never really been "things are going to be fair", even beyond the knowledge gap aspect. It's more... trying to combat the unfairness as much as possible and potentially subvert it. Just in this update, if you believe Rio Ranger, he didn't actually expect the entire cast to survive the attraction and clear chip subgame to get to this point.

I think the unfairness complaint here is less about fairness in the story and more about how the unfairness affects our ability to make predictions. At any point, our understanding of the game/story can be subverted by twist rules, and this makes it very hard to logically puzzle things out.

This is the type of interaction I find enjoyable in something like an Ace Attorney game, but I think maybe I should give up on the idea of this playing similarly to those types of games.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

value-brand cereal posted:

Maybe they're all AI dollies, and the 'blood' they can bleed is simply delicious soup. This is just a single AI supercomputer playing around with smaller AI dollies until bathroom break is up and they have to go back computing the secrets of the universe.

Just like that episode of Futurama about Star Trek! Or maybe the secret twist is going to be like some I have no Mouth stuff.

Also, we got to see Rio's face finally.

Also, it's a shame Gin dropped his stuffed animal thing.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

Call that fried herring.

Lol

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Well, if Keiji is right and the floor dolls can't lie about the important stuff, then we still have Rio's word that if we do things right "no one will have to die".

I'm thinking that might include this fake Reko - Fakeo if you will.

Spare

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

wologar posted:

They're all dolls, aren't they?

Also this.

And I wonder when the grand prize ticket to the surface will come into play.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 11, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Well shucks. I knew there was going to be some tomfoolery with the outcome of whatever decision was made, but I didn't expect it to be like that. They didn't even have a bit of fun with two Rekos.

However, I understand that trying to write the game with a major branching point like this and keep it for a substantial amount of the game would be very difficult.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

My curiosity about the other path was too strong, so I looked into it. Can't talk about it until it gets shown off, but I've some words about the whole situation.

Are the words going to be :piss:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to ask. Does anyone remember if a reason was given for why Alice was in that locker? I think I remember him saying he was scared of Sara's gunshots, and so he hid in the locker, but how does that square with the locker needing a whole puzzle to open?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

If Nao wasn't intended to be in the game, wouldn't that make the number of participants victims odd?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

CountryMatters posted:

Don't know if I missed something but is there a reason there would have to be an even number of participants?

I thought it was because each victim started the first trial paired with someone else, but maybe this is just an assumption I made subconsciously.

Do we have confirmation that every person had a beginning trial paired with someone else?

Edit: Also I just had a thought, but maybe somebody already said this.

If some people aren't intended to be in the game, perhaps that's the reason they might not appear on one of the percentage cards?

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 16, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

It's almost like we were punished for being willing to let a child die.

We were?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Assuming things don't go off the rails here, and we have the main game outcome with 2 people dying, 6 people would be an awfully small cast going forward right? That is unless there's some trick with the role swapping so the sacrifice or sage doesn't come into play normally.

Considering role swapping, I am wondering how it addresses the sage and keymaster. If a someone becomes the new sage, will they know only who is currently the keymaster when the change occurred, or everyone who had the keymaster role at some point? Will be interesting to see.

Also, I wonder if the game is going to follow a pattern of 1 pre-game death and 2 main game deaths every round, assuming things stay the same going forward.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Oh, boy. Another perspective change, and at this point?

I know the writer wouldn't do it, but it would be funny to have this turn out like Heavy Rain.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Seems these type of games always have traitors or insiders in the group as part of the story.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

I wonder how much these other participants will matter in the future, seeing as they went through the trouble of making design for them.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Elfface posted:

He's the inside man, responsible for distributing the cards once evryone has split up.

One of the participants is going to be like Revolver Ocelot and triple cross everybody at the end.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

I got a chuckle out of the idea of Keiji not being able to handle scrutiny. Imagine him going undercover as a detective and folding the instant he is questioned even slightly, lol.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Are we gonna have handshake voting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz-rVPvL2Y#t=25s

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

HydroSphere posted:

...Nothin' but paste, huh.

Sara eats paste confirmed!

lol if the twist with Sou relies on people not remembering him, but I suppose it's established a memory erasing machine exists. Considering we had a scene with Sou essentially talking to himself, does that mean he has a split personality or a twin or something?

Also, does ASU-NARO mean anything? I'm assuming in it's some kind of portmanteau that can be extended or rearranged into something else.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 2, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

What does Scary Joe mean when he says we can't get rid of him "again"?

HydroSphere posted:

(The translation notes contain spoilers; if anyone's interested, I'll post the link to them later.)

The translation notes would be interesting to see at the end! I always like reading all of the clever tricks translators have to pull when translating puns and the like.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Mindblast posted:

So on one hand Safalin doesn't mind making use of Sara if she ends up abusing the mind eraser, but also will help them get an important chip? And is obligated to make the crazy robot suffer right before it dies.

The gently caress is her angle?

I think she is just doing whatever she is told. She seems at least a little genuinely remorseful about her actions, hence she is the crying doll.

I'm not sure what we can make of non-canon bad ends in regards to character actions. We have the same issue with Qburger, since in one instance he is willing to kill literally everyone, including Gin, but then in our route is willing to risk his life for Gin.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She genuinely thinks she is being nice to Rio (remember her emotions are just as hosed as Rio's), and is trying to help Sara out in a place where they're likely not being watched right that second.

I'm not sure she thinks she is being nice. I thought the image of having her eyes covered in shadow was anime visual shorthand for regret.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Isn't it already a decently well established bit of psychology that people are more willing to push a button that causes suffering/death in the abstract, rather than having to view said suffering/death themselves?

Q-taro was facing the other way so he couldn't view the suffering :smugbert:

But, yeah that is a good point.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 6, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Kali Ma!

Also, this is the second time Sarah has had something important snatched out of her hands. If it weren't for her butterfingers, the gang probably would already be out of there!

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

"Moody pheromones"?

This foreshadows the surprise twist where Keiji is revealed to be an insect in disguise.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

You just gotta go with your heart and trust the others.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

The lesson of the game will be trust no one, not even yourself, as Sara's body double approaches her from behind with a gun.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

They really mean hacking in the older sense of the word. Kanna's gonna hack together some Raspberry Pi kit so you can flush a toilet over the internet with an app.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

That slip-up seemed uncharacteristic for Sou.

wologar posted:

Dolls are going to be this setting's nanomachines.

Yeah, with nearly perfect AIs and dolls, all bets are off.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

I think we gotta vote for Sou.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 21, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Of course, everyone gets at least 2 votes so we can't have a clear guess at the sacrifice. It seems that Keiji was able to deduce something during the trading period, and I think he somehow figured out that Sara was likely to have the sacrifice and traded back her original commoner role. I have nothing to base this on of course, and I don't think Keiji would go so far as to sacrifice himself, but it would be quite a twist if that happened.

It will be fun to suss out the trades as we get more info.

Also, Q-taro's nervous reaction sprites makes it seems like he really needs to go to the bathroom.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 23, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Robindaybird posted:

That's my thought, is the paired trials that we know about have connections: Mashima-Nao, Kanna and her sister, Keiji and his supervisor, Sara and Joe, and as selfish as Q-Taro is, and how young Gin is, I think they'd be more distraught on first meeting if they were paired up.

As for his boss, I kind of got the impression that she's into him but he's not into her, so uh there might be some multiple, layered reasons for her to bury the incident.

I had forgotten about Keiji's hallucinations. I'm sure we'll get the full story at some point, but I'm going to guess his boss had something to do with whoever Keiji is having hallucinations of.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

The doll/bleeding thing has to be upended at some point so a twist can be thrown at us. It's just too juicy of a "rule" that appears to offer some sort of order to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Randalor posted:

Either that, or someone realized that Reko was one of the choices for swapping cards, and gave her the Sacrifice.

Oh yeah! Why is Reko's picture up there in the trading chart?